This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are modern FPS games so far behind Super Mario Bros

#11DarkZV2Beta(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2013 5:52:19 AM
staticxtreme5 posted...
I understand what your saying. I wouldn't be against it, but I also don't really think it would be that beneficial to FPS. I can't think of any instances where being able to control my jump height would have really helped me in any significant way. Overall, it just seems a little unnecessary, and I don't think many people would utilize it.

I've been frustrated by a lack of jump-height control in pretty much every decently vertical shooter, including the Unreal, Half Life, Metroid Prime, and Quake series, and the second Crysis game.
Can't say I see the point in something slow paced like CoD or BF though.
---
Even people have toenails. Of course PCs have toenails. -claytonbuckley
#12eragonman9Posted 11/4/2013 6:23:04 AM
Play Tribes: Ascend or something, then.
---
*poke* *jiggle*
http://i.imgur.com/7uRLQ1E.png http://i.imgur.com/DrEfjso.png http://i.imgur.com/jm0j6t7.png
#13Pepys MonsterPosted 11/4/2013 6:48:54 AM
In real life, soldiers can't jump very high with IOTVs with front, back and side SAPI plates, a full combat load of magazines, their helmet and weapon. It seems like what you're asking for is the jump button to be useless unless you hold it down. Because soldiers aren't going to be soaring around like Mario if you want modern FPS games to be the least bit realistic.
---
i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz | Radeon 7850 1GB | 8GB DDR3 1866 | ASRock Z77 | Intel 330 240GB | 2x2TB HDDs | Antec 650W 80+ Platinum | Windows 7 | Asus Xonar DX
#14Bellum_SacrumPosted 11/4/2013 7:05:17 AM
Pepys Monster posted...
In real life, soldiers can't jump very high with IOTVs with front, back and side SAPI plates, a full combat load of magazines, their helmet and weapon. It seems like what you're asking for is the jump button to be useless unless you hold it down. Because soldiers aren't going to be soaring around like Mario if you want modern FPS games to be the least bit realistic.

lol realism in fps games

If any of those were realistic you'd probably be playing a dumb American guy clinging to his bunked bed and pretending he's going crazy in order for the doctors to send him back home.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#15KidIcarootsPosted 11/4/2013 7:18:02 AM
AnatomyHorror posted...
I agree. I feel like in BF4 I should be able to jump atleast 10ft in the air if I hold the spacebar longer.

Yes, otherwise where is the realism??
#16MeatballsoupPosted 11/4/2013 7:22:54 AM
Air shots in what is meant to be a serious FPS game is stupid
#17KidIcarootsPosted 11/4/2013 7:23:20 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
staticxtreme5 posted...
I understand what your saying. I wouldn't be against it, but I also don't really think it would be that beneficial to FPS. I can't think of any instances where being able to control my jump height would have really helped me in any significant way. Overall, it just seems a little unnecessary, and I don't think many people would utilize it.

I've been frustrated by a lack of jump-height control in pretty much every decently vertical shooter, including the Unreal, Half Life, Metroid Prime, and Quake series, and the second Crysis game.

Did you even play Metroid Prime? The jumping in those games is exactly the way you described in OP (hold button, jump higher).

Also, you obviously didn't play Quake the right way if you don't know what bunny hopping is.
#18Pepys MonsterPosted 11/4/2013 7:46:55 AM
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
Pepys Monster posted...

lol realism in fps games

If any of those were realistic you'd probably be playing a dumb American guy clinging to his bunked bed and pretending he's going crazy in order for the doctors to send him back home.

From: A guy who probably lives in his mom's basement, but wants to feel superior to people with the balls to step up to the plate and serve their country.
---
i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz | Radeon 7850 1GB | 8GB DDR3 1866 | ASRock Z77 | Intel 330 240GB | 2x2TB HDDs | Antec 650W 80+ Platinum | Windows 7 | Asus Xonar DX
#19triple sPosted 11/4/2013 7:48:25 AM
I liked the jumping in the first couple of Halo's.
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
#20DarkZV2Beta(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2013 7:52:09 AM
KidIcaroots posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
staticxtreme5 posted...

Did you even play Metroid Prime? The jumping in those games is exactly the way you described in OP (hold button, jump higher).

Also, you obviously didn't play Quake the right way if you don't know what bunny hopping is.

Did you even play Metroid Prime?
Bunny hopping is something completely different from this.

And when did I ever mention military FPS? That's rather silly.
---
Even people have toenails. Of course PCs have toenails. -claytonbuckley