This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are modern FPS games so far behind Super Mario Bros

#41KidIcarootsPosted 11/4/2013 10:43:41 AM
Awesome topic, please don't die!
#42sonicteam2k1Posted 11/4/2013 11:19:13 AM
AnatomyHorror posted...
I agree. I feel like in BF4 I should be able to jump atleast 10ft in the air if I hold the spacebar longer.

why not? You have a deployable parachute available at all times
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#43sonicteam2k1Posted 11/4/2013 11:35:07 AM
Pepys Monster posted...
In real life, soldiers can't jump very high with IOTVs with front, back and side SAPI plates, a full combat load of magazines, their helmet and weapon. It seems like what you're asking for is the jump button to be useless unless you hold it down. Because soldiers aren't going to be soaring around like Mario if you want modern FPS games to be the least bit realistic.

real life. video game, lol. Go play ARMA
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#44SteamsterPosted 11/4/2013 12:50:07 PM
I don't particularly understand why you want this. Maybe I missed it while skimming the thread, but what's the point of variable jump height here, exactly?
#45JKatarnPosted 11/4/2013 1:03:55 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
staticxtreme5 posted...
I understand what your saying. I wouldn't be against it, but I also don't really think it would be that beneficial to FPS. I can't think of any instances where being able to control my jump height would have really helped me in any significant way. Overall, it just seems a little unnecessary, and I don't think many people would utilize it.

I've been frustrated by a lack of jump-height control in pretty much every decently vertical shooter, including the Unreal, Half Life, Metroid Prime, and Quake series, and the second Crysis game.
Can't say I see the point in something slow paced like CoD or BF though.

Forget about the space jump upgrade?
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#46JKatarnPosted 11/4/2013 1:05:43 PM
Pepys Monster posted...
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
Pepys Monster posted...
In real life, soldiers can't jump very high with IOTVs with front, back and side SAPI plates, a full combat load of magazines, their helmet and weapon. It seems like what you're asking for is the jump button to be useless unless you hold it down. Because soldiers aren't going to be soaring around like Mario if you want modern FPS games to be the least bit realistic.

lol realism in fps games

If any of those were realistic you'd probably be playing a dumb American guy clinging to his bunked bed and pretending he's going crazy in order for the doctors to send him back home.

From: A guy who probably lives in his mom's basement, but wants to feel superior to people with the balls to step up to the plate and serve their country.

Yep - I'm no "jarhead" or fan of excessive use of the military, but soldiers are nonetheless putting their lives on the line to defend their country and should be afforded some respect.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#47KidIcarootsPosted 11/4/2013 1:41:54 PM
JKatarn posted...
Pepys Monster posted...
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
Pepys Monster posted...

lol realism in fps games

If any of those were realistic you'd probably be playing a dumb American guy clinging to his bunked bed and pretending he's going crazy in order for the doctors to send him back home.

From: A guy who probably lives in his mom's basement, but wants to feel superior to people with the balls to step up to the plate and serve their country.

Yep - I'm no "jarhead" or fan of excessive use of the military, but soldiers are nonetheless putting their lives on the line to defend their country and should be afforded some respect.

Let's be honest. The American military is defending the interests of corporations in the Middle East, not their countrymen. Otherwise they'd be fighting Wall Street bailouts and political paralysis, not some poor third world civilian that was just unlucky enough to be in their way that particular day.
#48R i c kPosted 11/4/2013 2:04:30 PM
Rocketjumping is all well and good but until my soldier can grow a raccoon tail and fly for a short time after running for a bit I'm going to have to side with the TC.
---
i5-2500k@4.5Ghz, XFX Radeon HD 6870, ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3, 2x8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Crucial M4 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD, XFX Pro650W Core, Corsair 650D
#49codyorrPosted 11/4/2013 2:54:14 PM
Why can't modern movies not involve terrorism? Because the world keeps getting worse. Get ready for 2 inch jumps in the future.
#50kingoffpsPosted 11/4/2013 3:20:20 PM
codyorr posted...
Why can't modern movies not involve terrorism? Because the world keeps getting worse. Get ready for 2 inch jumps in the future.

You say that but the exact opposite reason is why James Cameron never made a sequel to True Lies :( Apparently "terrorism isn't funny" since 9/11. I wouldn't have said that it was hilarious beforehand though tbh.
---
i7 920 @ 3.6GHz, 3.8GHz (single-thread mode), MSI X58 Platinum, 6GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950 (1100/1450), 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU