This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does it make sense to SLI/Crossfire at initial build?

#1ConkerPosted 11/4/2013 6:04:55 AM
If you're going to build a new computer, is it worth putting in a dual card setup over just getting the highest end single card available at the time within your budget? Let's just assume the budget is not enough to get two or more of the highest end cards on the market..

Is it common now for the performance to be worth it for around the same end price, or are there still issues with two card setups and not enough increase in performance overall within similar cost?
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#2aak57Posted 11/4/2013 6:20:30 AM
To me it makes more sense to go for a single powerful card because there still are occasional issues with multi-GPU setups, and later down the road you could just move to a dual card setup anyway.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
#3Cool_Dude667Posted 11/4/2013 6:40:08 AM
Depends if you can get a good deal or not, and if you pick the right cards for the right performance.

The most important thing is what your going to do with all that extra performance, basically you should get a new monitor to keep up with your GPUs
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#4Pepys MonsterPosted 11/4/2013 6:43:01 AM
aak57 posted...
To me it makes more sense to go for a single powerful card because there still are occasional issues with multi-GPU setups, and later down the road you could just move to a dual card setup anyway.

What if you buy the best card on the market, but want more power?
---
i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz | Radeon 7850 1GB | 8GB DDR3 1866 | ASRock Z77 | Intel 330 240GB | 2x2TB HDDs | Antec 650W 80+ Platinum | Windows 7 | Asus Xonar DX
#5Conker(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2013 6:52:09 AM
Cool_Dude667 posted...
Depends if you can get a good deal or not, and if you pick the right cards for the right performance.

The most important thing is what your going to do with all that extra performance, basically you should get a new monitor to keep up with your GPUs

Well, I have an overclocked Catleap running at 120Hz, 2560x1440 resolution. And I'm currently using a Sapphire Radeon 6950 2GB, which I made a topic about last week for upgrading and already know what single card I would get. This topic was more a general question though, rather than about my specific use.

Pepys Monster posted...
aak57 posted...

What if you buy the best card on the market, but want more power?

I should have been more specific, and I'm not sure if you're just posting that to go against what I original said, but what I meant in the original post by "Let's just assume the budget is not enough to get two or more of the highest end cards on the market.." was to exclude budgets above the max single card on the market. So let's assume we're limited to the highest single card's price or two cards that are equal to or less than that.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!