This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are Macbook Pro really good for college/business use?

#1SaQu1BPosted 11/4/2013 8:04:21 AM
I bought a Mac last week and have been really satisfied with it. It runs really smoothly and have read that it isn't as vulnerable to like windows OS to Malware, viruses, etc. I also bought microsoft office and majority of professional programs come in both PC AND Mac. If there is any compatibility problem I can use the CrossOver programs. You can tell the hardware is very good quality. I am happy with it.. While for games they are horrible because of lack of compatibility (older blizzard games).. but I think for professional use they are perfect. Anyone else feel like this?
#2no1oblivionfanPosted 11/4/2013 8:12:02 AM
They are good; perhaps the only good Mac there is. And compatibility shouldn't be an issue for most programs these days and even if there is you can run it off Wine(?). But it still doesn't take away from the fact that they are overpriced as it doesn't have a USP anymore (Retina display is outdated) making it completely overpriced for what you get. They are solid but there's better for cheaper (Dell Precision M3800).
---
Steam: An_Orang3e
GT: DanDan4000
#3DragnfyrPosted 11/4/2013 8:33:50 AM
How is the MacBook Pro the only good Mac? The MacBook Air is probably the best college laptop for non-gamers. And the MacBook Pro with Retina display are the only laptops that can properly utilize a high DPI display. Windows 8.1 still has terrible scaling, especially if you plug in an external monitor.
---
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.9 | Windows 8.1 Pro
#4SinisterSlayPosted 11/4/2013 8:43:26 AM(edited)
Good machine, touch pricey though.

I know in college my laptop took a horrible beating. Taking it from class to class, on the bus, restaurants, etc.
Cheap and durable is what you want, not expensive.

I'm actually amazed that old HP I had lasted, more than once the system hung while shutting down and I tossed it in my backpack not realizing it, just to pull it out an hour later still running and super hot for having no ventilation at all for an hour and running at full speed (frozen).
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#5SaQu1B(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2013 8:46:11 AM(edited)
Retina Displays are awesome but they are a bit too expensive for me. I was deciding between a MacBook pro and MacBook air. I love SSD and all but I needed better processor that the pro provided for the price.
#6no1oblivionfanPosted 11/4/2013 9:00:07 AM(edited)
Dragnfyr posted...
How is the MacBook Pro the only good Mac? The MacBook Air is probably the best college laptop for non-gamers. And the MacBook Pro with Retina display are the only laptops that can properly utilize a high DPI display. Windows 8.1 still has terrible scaling, especially if you plug in an external monitor.

What's so special about the Air that other Ultrabooks don't have? Battery life is the only thing I can think of and that's because the Air's resolution and clock speed is terrible compared to every other one. And expect the DPI problems to be fixed later this (Because QHD seems to be the go-to laptop resolution these days) month because they really are not that bad. And the one you have according to you sig definitely can't handle it because I had that one before and there was severe GUI and scrolling lag with it.
---
Steam: An_Orang3e
GT: DanDan4000
#7reincarnator07Posted 11/4/2013 9:59:31 AM
They're good, but I don't think they're better than an equivalent Windows laptop. Just for potential compatibility issues, I'd only get one if you need OSX for something or like the OS.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#8DoramiPosted 11/4/2013 10:02:56 AM
no1oblivionfan posted...

What's so special about the Air that other Ultrabooks don't have? Battery life is the only thing I can think of and that's because the Air's resolution and clock speed is terrible compared to every other one.

The 4258U in the MBA has higher base clock speed than the 4200U in typical ultrabooks and the same turbo boost. The 5000 in the MBA is significantly more powerful than the 4400 in most ultrabooks.
---
"...Ashley takes on Lord Blazer alone in a white cape with flowing rockstar hair while playing his impossibly cool sword as a guitar..." - LBoksha
#9mrCubePosted 11/4/2013 10:05:23 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Good machine, touch pricey though.

I know in college my laptop took a horrible beating. Taking it from class to class, on the bus, restaurants, etc.
Cheap and durable is what you want, not expensive.

I'm actually amazed that old HP I had lasted, more than once the system hung while shutting down and I tossed it in my backpack not realizing it, just to pull it out an hour later still running and super hot for having no ventilation at all for an hour and running at full speed (frozen).

What's a good cheap, durable laptop? Because all the cheap laptops I've seen have been flimsy pieces of crap. Generally MacBooks have much better build quality than cheap laptops. IMO you're not getting something with decent durability until the ~$700 range, and I wouldn't exactly call that "cheap" for a laptop considering you can get a really cheap one for $300
---
---
#10I_Am_On_FirePosted 11/4/2013 10:18:51 AM
For the whole college thing, buying a laptop for $1000 to type papers on and browse Facebook is just wasting money. Getting something decent for $400 and just taking care of it is by far the best course of action.
---
HAF 912 | i3-3220 @ 3.3 GHz | SAPPHIRE HD 7850 2 GB OC Edition | Corsair CX430 | 8 GB Corsair XMS3 1600 | Seagate Barracuda 2 TB | MSI B75MA-P45 | Win 8x64