This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are Macbook Pro really good for college/business use?

#11cancerstormPosted 11/4/2013 10:28:47 AM
for professional use they are perfect? in what profession?

microsoft is rich because of widespread corporate usage of windows OS and all the enterprise software that can only work on windows
---
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2996/cancerstorm.jpg
#12DoramiPosted 11/4/2013 10:33:15 AM
cancerstorm posted...
for professional use they are perfect? in what profession?

CS and physical sciences, because of the large number of Unix descended apps.
---
"...Ashley takes on Lord Blazer alone in a white cape with flowing rockstar hair while playing his impossibly cool sword as a guitar..." - LBoksha
#13cancerstormPosted 11/4/2013 10:40:40 AM
i haven't seen a single guy (ignoring the foreign rich people from china) in cs own a macbook pro or any mac product ever

i only had one prof who regularly worked on a macbook pro but only because it was from the school
---
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2996/cancerstorm.jpg
#14ShubPosted 11/4/2013 10:45:07 AM
cancerstorm posted...
i haven't seen a single guy (ignoring the foreign rich people from china) in cs own a macbook pro or any mac product ever

i only had one prof who regularly worked on a macbook pro but only because it was from the school

Well, all the software developers at my company use MBAs or MBPs, and we predominantly do C#, PHP and SQL development. There's also some Ruby thrown into the mix.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#15DragnfyrPosted 11/4/2013 10:50:01 AM
cancerstorm posted...

Literally all my CS profs use a MacBook and around 50-60% of students use a MacBook in my class.
---
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.9 | Windows 8.1 Pro
#16SinisterSlayPosted 11/4/2013 11:13:39 AM
mrCube posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Good machine, touch pricey though.

I know in college my laptop took a horrible beating. Taking it from class to class, on the bus, restaurants, etc.
Cheap and durable is what you want, not expensive.

I'm actually amazed that old HP I had lasted, more than once the system hung while shutting down and I tossed it in my backpack not realizing it, just to pull it out an hour later still running and super hot for having no ventilation at all for an hour and running at full speed (frozen).

What's a good cheap, durable laptop? Because all the cheap laptops I've seen have been flimsy pieces of crap. Generally MacBooks have much better build quality than cheap laptops. IMO you're not getting something with decent durability until the ~$700 range, and I wouldn't exactly call that "cheap" for a laptop considering you can get a really cheap one for $300

I'm not in the market for one so I don't know.

I'd look at netbooks and the like. Ultra books too.

When I was done with that laptop, the front face was almost completely demolished with just the activity LED lights hanging out the front. The screen was half detached (but doing better than another guy that got hair inside his screen.) and the bottom of the laptop was melted and warped.
But it still worked perfectly.
But is that durable? Not sure, it lasted through a lot of abuse.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#17DragnfyrPosted 11/4/2013 11:26:25 AM(edited)
no1oblivionfan posted...
Dragnfyr posted...
How is the MacBook Pro the only good Mac? The MacBook Air is probably the best college laptop for non-gamers. And the MacBook Pro with Retina display are the only laptops that can properly utilize a high DPI display. Windows 8.1 still has terrible scaling, especially if you plug in an external monitor.

What's so special about the Air that other Ultrabooks don't have? Battery life is the only thing I can think of and that's because the Air's resolution and clock speed is terrible compared to every other one. And expect the DPI problems to be fixed later this (Because QHD seems to be the go-to laptop resolution these days) month because they really are not that bad. And the one you have according to you sig definitely can't handle it because I had that one before and there was severe GUI and scrolling lag with it.

Battery life is a big thing for ultrabooks. The Air has a better CPU and IGP than most other ultrabooks as well as a great trackpad and overall build quality. It's also very competitively priced at $999 for college students which is either the same or cheaper than other high end ultrabooks. Also I like the Air's resolution because it doesn't require scaling. 1080p on a 13" screen will be more of a hindrance than a benefit until DPI scaling is fixed which probably won't be for another 1-2 years at least.

Also how will DPI problems be magically fixed this month? Windows 8.1 was released last month and it did improve scaling in some parts of Windows itself (mouse cursor @ 200% scaling, pixelated Windows icons, etc.) but it will ultimately be up to third party developers to make their programs DPI aware and that is going to take a long time. I find that Windows developers take much longer to to adopt new technologies than Mac developers. For example, Chrome for Mac was updated to support the retina display about a month and a half after the first Retina MBP was released (the beta version supported retina within a couple weeks). However, the Windows version of Chrome still doesn't properly support it even though high DPI Windows laptops have been out for much more than a few months. Also Windows 8.1 itself still does not scale well at 200%. If you choose to ungroup taskbar icons, the length of each taskbar item is too short at 200%. And have you ever tried using a high DPI display with a secondary normal DPI display in Windows 8.1? It was supposed to be fixed but in reality it's still a complete mess. If I set my Macbook as the primary monitor the taskbar is hidden on my secondary display. If I set the secondary display as the primary monitor then my Macbook's taskbar is not scaled. Also moving a window from one monitor to the other causes the window to jump around. In OS X on the other hand everything works perfectly.

If you had laggy GUI scrolling then it must've been a problem with the programs you used and not with the laptop itself because I've had no problems. If my laptop had problems with performing basic tasks at 2880x1800 then that would imply only the highest end gaming laptops would be able to support high-DPI screens and that is clearly not the case since most high-DPI Windows laptops are ultrabooks or ultraportables (eg. Toshiba Kirabook, Ativ Book 9+).
---
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.9 | Windows 8.1 Pro
#18DragnfyrPosted 11/4/2013 11:35:03 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
mrCube posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Good machine, touch pricey though.

I know in college my laptop took a horrible beating. Taking it from class to class, on the bus, restaurants, etc.
Cheap and durable is what you want, not expensive.

I'm actually amazed that old HP I had lasted, more than once the system hung while shutting down and I tossed it in my backpack not realizing it, just to pull it out an hour later still running and super hot for having no ventilation at all for an hour and running at full speed (frozen).

What's a good cheap, durable laptop? Because all the cheap laptops I've seen have been flimsy pieces of crap. Generally MacBooks have much better build quality than cheap laptops. IMO you're not getting something with decent durability until the ~$700 range, and I wouldn't exactly call that "cheap" for a laptop considering you can get a really cheap one for $300

I'm not in the market for one so I don't know.

I'd look at netbooks and the like. Ultra books too.

When I was done with that laptop, the front face was almost completely demolished with just the activity LED lights hanging out the front. The screen was half detached (but doing better than another guy that got hair inside his screen.) and the bottom of the laptop was melted and warped.
But it still worked perfectly.
But is that durable? Not sure, it lasted through a lot of abuse.

Netbooks are dead. They've been replaced by tablets. Also ultrabooks cost pretty much the same as the Macbook Air. And I'd say that laptop was not durable at all for having been that physically screwed up the time you were done with it.
---
#19SinisterSlayPosted 11/4/2013 11:37:45 AM
Dragnfyr posted...

Netbooks are dead. They've been replaced by tablets. Also ultrabooks cost pretty much the same as the Macbook Air. And I'd say that laptop was not durable at all for having been that physically screwed up the time you were done with it.

Then in that case I'd get a cheap one with the size of screen you want.

Then, when it invariably breaks or gets stolen, no big loss.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#20DragnfyrPosted 11/4/2013 11:41:33 AM(edited)
SinisterSlay posted...
Dragnfyr posted...

Then in that case I'd get a cheap one with the size of screen you want.

Then, when it invariably breaks or gets stolen, no big loss.

I don't think most people break or lose their laptop over their college education so it's hardly inevitable. Also cheap laptops have terrible battery life.
---