This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are Macbook Pro really good for college/business use?

#21SinisterSlayPosted 11/4/2013 11:44:26 AM(edited)
Dragnfyr posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Dragnfyr posted...

Netbooks are dead. They've been replaced by tablets. Also ultrabooks cost pretty much the same as the Macbook Air. And I'd say that laptop was not durable at all for having been that physically screwed up the time you were done with it.

Then in that case I'd get a cheap one with the size of screen you want.

Then, when it invariably breaks or gets stolen, no big loss.

I don't think most people break or lose their laptop over their college education so it's hardly inevitable.

Really? You guys clearly don't use them enough :D

Personally, I used mine in every class, in several buildings. Then in the cafeteria or commons, then in restaurants for breakfast, and on the bus (mostly playing games) then at home, and while on vacation, and during down time.
Basically, it was always in use. And during the course of class packing it up and setting it back up every hour, wears them out fast.

Although my courses were all programming, so of course I needed my laptop in every class and for every assignment.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#22no1oblivionfanPosted 11/4/2013 11:46:18 AM(edited)
Dragnfyr
I agree that 13" QHD is ridiculous, but it's always nice to have the choice of lowering or raising the resolution which isn't present on a Mac (At least to the extent of windows). But the MBA is just too weak for it to be considered the best Mac (To that guy who said it's stronger it's not all other Ultrabooks at that price are at 1.7 GHz+), although it is actually competitively priced for a mac I must admit.

Regarding DPI, all worthwhile third party programs will support the higher resolutions soon, trust me. It is a valid criticism though.

And about the lag, it is a known problem for the rMBP (I should certainly hope it's fixed in the Haswell ones) https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4047428 there are 1000s of complaints about it, and it wasn't in third party programs it was in Safari, Finder; everything that had an animation and a scroll bar.
---
Steam: An_Orang3e
GT: DanDan4000
#23DragnfyrPosted 11/4/2013 12:01:14 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Dragnfyr posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Dragnfyr posted...

Netbooks are dead. They've been replaced by tablets. Also ultrabooks cost pretty much the same as the Macbook Air. And I'd say that laptop was not durable at all for having been that physically screwed up the time you were done with it.

Then in that case I'd get a cheap one with the size of screen you want.

Then, when it invariably breaks or gets stolen, no big loss.

I don't think most people break or lose their laptop over their college education so it's hardly inevitable.

Really? You guys clearly don't use them enough :D

Personally, I used mine in every class, in several buildings. Then in the cafeteria or commons, then in restaurants for breakfast, and on the bus (mostly playing games) then at home, and while on vacation, and during down time.
Basically, it was always in use. And during the course of class packing it up and setting it back up every hour, wears them out fast.

Although my courses were all programming, so of course I needed my laptop in every class and for every assignment.

I use my laptop for the majority of my classes as well and it's basically the same as the day I got it except with a couple minor scratches. I've also taken it on many plane trips going back and forth between home and university as well as on vacations. I don't use it on the bus or in restaurants though because it's too inconvenient. I'd rather use my smartphone for those situations.

no1oblivionfan posted...
Dragnfyr
I agree that 13" QHD is ridiculous, but it's always nice to have the choice of lowering or raising the resolution which isn't present on a Mac (At least to the extent of windows). But the MBA is just too weak for it to be considered the best Mac (To that guy who said it's stronger it's not all other Ultrabooks at that price are at 1.7 GHz+), although it is actually competitively priced for a mac I must admit.

Regarding DPI, all worthwhile third party programs will support the higher resolutions soon, trust me. It is a valid criticism though.

And about the lag, it is a known problem for the rMBP (I should certainly hope it's fixed in the Haswell ones) https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4047428 there are 1000s of complaints about it, and it wasn't in third party programs it was in Safari, Finder; everything that had an animation and a scroll bar.

Those 1.7Ghz ultrabooks cost more than the Macbook Air and the ones that don't have other deficiencies such as not having a SSD or having a bad trackpad.

There are still far too few high DPI Windows laptops being released. I doubt most major Windows programs will become DPI aware until high DPI displays are as common as touchscreen ultrabooks which probably won't be for another year at least.

Also when any Apple product is released there are always going to be large threads complaining about certain issues. The thing about having only a few laptop models is that even uncommon complaints get amplified. And by the time I got my Macbook in July I didn't notice any issues in Safari or Finder. I did notice that Chrome did not scroll as smoothly as Safari but that was fixed a long time ago as well. Any GUI lag was probably just due to software bugs and not with the hardware itself. The guy in that thread probably had a defective graphics card as well because that screenshot is definitely not normal.
---
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.9 | Windows 8.1 Pro
#24DoramiPosted 11/4/2013 12:10:43 PM
About the MBA's CPU.. I misspoke.

MBA: i5-4250U (1.3 ghz, 2.6 ghz, Iris 5000)
MBP: i5-4258U (2.4 ghz, 2.9 ghz, Iris 5100)
Mid range ultrabook: i5-4200U (1.6 ghz, 2.6 ghz, HD 4400)
High end ultrabook: i7-4500U (1.8 ghz, 3.0 ghz, HD 4400)

So MBA does have lower base clock speed than ultrabooks. Its main advantage is the much better IGP.
---
"...Ashley takes on Lord Blazer alone in a white cape with flowing rockstar hair while playing his impossibly cool sword as a guitar..." - LBoksha
#25no1oblivionfanPosted 11/4/2013 12:11:37 PM
It's a real problem and upon looking into it further people are actually having problems with the Haswell ones too now. But the most probable cause is that its whoever manufactured the screen's problem. Samsung=Lag problem and LG=No problem. I wasn't exaggerating the 1000s either.
---
#26no1oblivionfanPosted 11/4/2013 12:13:08 PM
Dorami posted...
About the MBA's CPU.. I misspoke.

MBA: i5-4250U (1.3 ghz, 2.6 ghz, Iris 5000)
MBP: i5-4258U (2.4 ghz, 2.9 ghz, Iris 5100)
Mid range ultrabook: i5-4200U (1.6 ghz, 2.6 ghz, HD 4400)
High end ultrabook: i7-4500U (1.8 ghz, 3.0 ghz, HD 4400)

So MBA does have lower base clock speed than ultrabooks. Its main advantage is the much better IGP.

The Air's isn't Iris, but yes its better than all the Ultrabook competition.
---
#27DragnfyrPosted 11/4/2013 12:15:10 PM
no1oblivionfan posted...
It's a real problem and upon looking into it further people are actually having problems with the Haswell ones too now. But the most probable cause is that its whoever manufactured the screen's problem. Samsung=Lag problem and LG=No problem. I wasn't exaggerating the 1000s either.

I had an LG panel initially but I had to get it replaced with a Samsung panel due to image retention issues. I didn't have scrolling problems with either panel.
---
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.9 | Windows 8.1 Pro
#28no1oblivionfanPosted 11/4/2013 12:17:30 PM
Dragnfyr posted...
no1oblivionfan posted...

I had an LG panel initially but I had to get it replaced with a Samsung panel due to image retention issues. I didn't have scrolling problems with either panel.

June 2012 or Feb 2013 model?
---
#29DragnfyrPosted 11/4/2013 12:24:51 PM
no1oblivionfan posted...
Dragnfyr posted...
no1oblivionfan posted...

June 2012 or Feb 2013 model?

June 2012
---
#30Firespark1Posted 11/4/2013 2:41:11 PM
I used to work for a company that repair laptops, and boy, the air was a pain in the ass to repair. It also have one of the highest fail rate. Macbook are good in term of hardware, but not the bang for buck type of deal, since they are expensive.