This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for new free MMORPG

#1JODYHiGHROLLERPosted 11/4/2013 9:15:40 AM
What's going on guys, recently I've been getting the itch to start up a new free MMORPG, something to pass these never ending college days.

To give you guys a quick background, I played Maplestory (I know...I know) a loooonnngggg time ago and seemed to enjoy that until I got bored with it, huge fan of monster hunter and skyrim and all those types of games so what do you guys think? I've been looking into path of exile which seems to be the up and coming game, I know my list is restricted with the mmorpg having to be free, but I'm willing to spend a few bucks here and there on whatever is needed.

appreciate the help guys.
---
If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder
PSN - BroncoWrestler94
#2I_Am_On_FirePosted 11/4/2013 9:27:12 AM
If you don't mind buying the game but not having to pay a monthly fee, GW2 is fun.
---
HAF 912 | i3-3220 @ 3.3 GHz | SAPPHIRE HD 7850 2 GB OC Edition | Corsair CX430 | 8 GB Corsair XMS3 1600 | Seagate Barracuda 2 TB | MSI B75MA-P45 | Win 8x64
#3The_AntiGrimPosted 11/4/2013 9:41:36 AM
I_Am_On_Fire posted...
If you don't mind buying the game but not having to pay a monthly fee, GW2 is fun.

have they added any decent endgame content yet? last I heard there was pretty much nothing to do after hitting the level cap
---
Sidekick to the famous DarkHero
#4PhilOnDezPosted 11/4/2013 9:55:06 AM
I like Tera, the only thing I'm interested in behind the paywall is more character slots and more bag space. There might be a way to get more bag space with in game currency but almost everything in the cash shop is cosmetic. I think there's xp boosts and the like but that's only quality of life stuff.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#5Ork_HeroPosted 11/4/2013 10:13:24 AM
The_AntiGrim posted...
I_Am_On_Fire posted...

have they added any decent endgame content yet? last I heard there was pretty much nothing to do after hitting the level cap

They add new content every two weeks so there's always something for you to look forward to. But they're temporary content, they go away after some time. Still fun, and the upside is you can show off to people cool new items/gear they can't get anymore. And since it's a non sub game you aren't obligated to log in every day.

Tera is another option. Very pretty, almost looks as good as GW2, but the quests and maps are boring after playing WoW and GW2. It's linear compared to other MMOS. Never tried SWTOR so can't say anything about that.

I just started playing DDO and so far it's fun, the puzzles and dungeons with narration make it seem like authentic DnD for a bit. Try them all, they're free (besides GW2) so you have nothing to lose but time!
---
'Ere we go!
UK gamer girl
#6BowsaaPosted 11/4/2013 10:18:46 AM
The_AntiGrim posted...
I_Am_On_Fire posted...

With Fractals, all of the dungeons, living world, world exploration, etc, I've found there to be plenty to do after getting 80.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#7Ork_HeroPosted 11/4/2013 10:22:24 AM
Bowsaa posted...
The_AntiGrim posted...
I_Am_On_Fire posted...

With Fractals, all of the dungeons, living world, world exploration, etc, I've found there to be plenty to do after getting 80.

Oh yeah there is fractals and dungeons. But most people don't see a point in doing them because the gear doesn't 'improve' Exploration and jumping puzzles are great though.
---
'Ere we go!
UK gamer girl
#8rwfan2cPosted 11/4/2013 10:33:40 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
I like Tera, the only thing I'm interested in behind the paywall is more character slots and more bag space. There might be a way to get more bag space with in game currency but almost everything in the cash shop is cosmetic. I think there's xp boosts and the like but that's only quality of life stuff.

Yeah... I would Skip GW2 and play Tera. More entertaining game to me.

GW2 Combat is one of the most Snooze worthy in the Genre, where as Tera's is one of the Best in the Genre.
---
Currently Playing: Xcom: Enemy Unkown, SWTOR, Total War: Shogun II
"Demon's Run, When a Good Man Goes to War."
#9BowsaaPosted 11/4/2013 10:43:05 AM
Ork_Hero posted...
Oh yeah there is fractals and dungeons. But most people don't see a point in doing them because the gear doesn't 'improve' Exploration and jumping puzzles are great though.

That's because WoW and the like have been able to instill the thought that gear grind = content into most people.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#10KanokarePosted 11/4/2013 2:24:37 PM
Rift is free.
---
XBL / PSN / VITA / Steam ID - Kanokare
http://www.youtube.com/user/SOTDgaming/videos