This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Since when does Steam Machines = automatic success in the console market?

#1FenriswolfPosted 11/4/2013 10:31:54 AM
I've seen this thing being hyped by Valve fanboys as the PS4/X1/Wii U killer, and it makes me facepalm, considering that it has no exclusives whatsoever, and does nothing a mid range PC can't do. And running on Linux? What's the last time Linux got an exclusive game that isn't a Windows port? Nobody is going to install and run Linux just because Valve is going to port its 10 old Steam games there, considering Steam's growth is helped by third party games like Call of Duty and Elder Scrolls, and it doesn't like other major PC publishers like Blizzard and EA is going Linux anytime soon.

This whole thing is reminding me of "Powerplay", Valve's white elephant which Gaben claimed would bring an end to lag as we knew it, which he quickly buried when John Carmack called him out.
---
Hello
#2TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 11/4/2013 10:32:53 AM
Faith, hope, speculation, prediction, etc.
---
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/55488_o.gif
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
#3KillerTrufflePosted 11/4/2013 10:35:31 AM
Fenriswolf posted...
I've seen this thing being hyped by Valve fanboys as the PS4/X1/Wii U killer, and it makes me facepalm, considering that it has no exclusives whatsoever, and does nothing a mid range PC can't do. And running on Linux? What's the last time Linux got an exclusive game that isn't a Windows port? Nobody is going to install and run Linux just because Valve is going to port its 10 old Steam games there, considering Steam's growth is helped by third party games like Call of Duty and Elder Scrolls, and it doesn't like other major PC publishers like Blizzard and EA is going Linux anytime soon.

This whole thing is reminding me of "Powerplay", Valve's white elephant which Gaben claimed would bring an end to lag as we knew it, which he quickly buried when John Carmack called him out.

I think you might not be fully understanding the Steam Machines concept. It's not meant to be a new console - it's meant to bridge the gap between PC and console. Steam Machines absolutely does have exclusives (compared to PS4/XBone/etc.) - every single PC exclusive game out there. The Steam Machine is not meant to be a PC killer - it's meant to work in harmony with a PC. It *can* stand on its own, but then is limited to only games compatible with Linux, unless you install a full Windows OS on it, in which case - it's just a PC.

It is 100% irrelevant that it doesn't have an Linux games that aren't also on Windows. That has literally nothing to do with anything.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#4The_AntiGrimPosted 11/4/2013 10:35:36 AM
nice bait there.
---
Sidekick to the famous DarkHero
#5El_KazPosted 11/4/2013 11:58:32 AM
Fenriswolf posted...
I've seen this thing being hyped by Valve fanboys as the PS4/X1/Wii U killer

No you haven't.
---
Wait... what?
#6ShadowThaReaperPosted 11/4/2013 12:00:25 PM
Sony can do it by lying to their idiot fanbase.

Why can't Valve do it, too?