This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Several questions regarding what gpu I should buy

#1Whitebeard11Posted 11/4/2013 10:31:32 AM
So im on the market for a new card. I'm looking at the gtx 760 or the gtx 770. If ever I buy a 760, i'll be buying the palit jetstream then for the 770, i'll be getting the msi twin frozr.

So my question is, is there any games on the market that would give me a hard time to max on a 760 until the release of the 800 series? And is there any info on how the 800 series will perform considering it's a new architecture and all. Is it safe to bet to just buy a not so high end card and just upgrade once the 800 series comes.

Or is 770 the better buy for now, and just wait for the performance of the 800 series.

Last question: Is my xfx 650w xtreme edition 80PLUS bronze enough for a 770/760?

Specs:

i5-2500k
4GB ddr3 ram
1.5TB HDD
razer blackwidow ultimate(dunno if the power draw is noticeable)

Thanks! :)
#2lionheart5656Posted 11/4/2013 10:36:01 AM
Depends. Are we talking about playing games at max?

If so, there are games out right now that you couldn't play at max with the 760.

The 770 is right on that edge though.

Depending on the video card you have right now, it might not even be worth upgrading with the 800 series not too far off.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#3Whitebeard11(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2013 10:39:43 AM
lionheart5656 posted...

If so, there are games out right now that you couldn't play at max with the 760.

Depending on the video card you have right now, it might not even be worth upgrading with the 800 series not too far off.

Yea hopefully on max, but I can see there are games like hitman that you can't actually max with constant 60fps.

Price difference is $150 between the two cards so yeah I don't know if it's worth it paying additional for a 770.

I don't have any card right now. My gtx 570 died on me :(
#4lionheart5656Posted 11/4/2013 10:47:27 AM
Whitebeard11 posted...
lionheart5656 posted...

Yea hopefully on max, but I can see there are games like hitman that you can't actually max with constant 60fps.

Price difference is $150 between the two cards so yeah I don't know if it's worth it paying additional for a 770.

I don't have any card right now. My gtx 570 died on me :(

I see. Well I would personally go for the cheapest good card I could if I knew I was going to upgrade it pretty soon.

So the 760 should hold you for a few months. You won't be maxing the newer games but you will still get a good quality image.
---
#5Whitebeard11(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2013 10:58:10 AM
Yea that makes sense. Problem is when the 800 series doesn't live up to its hype lol. Then im stuck with a weaker card.
#6lionheart5656Posted 11/4/2013 10:59:07 AM
Whitebeard11 posted...
Yea that makes sense. Problem is when the 800 series doesn't live up to its hype lol. Then im stuck with a weaker card.

On the other hand, current high end cards will drop in price so you can still get a good card for cheaper.

If you plan on upgrading anyway, there is no losing side here.
---
#7Whitebeard11(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2013 11:06:02 AM
lionheart5656 posted...
Whitebeard11 posted...

On the other hand, current high end cards will drop in price so you can still get a good card for cheaper.

Actually, i'll decide tomorrow morning when I wake up. Do you know the symptoms of a failing or dying PSU? Cause my gtx 570 died and I think it's because of the 2 weeks power fluctuation that happened and I don't know if it affected my PSU. I'm running at integrated right now and everything seems to work, im just afraid it might fry or kill my new card once I plug it in.
#8lionheart5656Posted 11/4/2013 11:10:11 AM
Whitebeard11 posted...
lionheart5656 posted...
Whitebeard11 posted...

Actually, i'll decide tomorrow morning when I wake up. Do you know the symptoms of a failing or dying PSU? Cause my gtx 570 died and I think it's because of the 2 weeks power fluctuation that happened and I don't know if it affected my PSU. I'm running at integrated right now and everything seems to work, im just afraid it might fry or kill my new card once I plug it in.

The only method I know is if you hear a high pitched noise coming from the PSU which would indicate a bearing problem and imminent failure.

You would have to look up other ways if there are any.
---
#9ShubPosted 11/4/2013 11:10:35 AM
Whitebeard11 posted...
Last question: Is my xfx 650w xtreme edition 80PLUS bronze enough for a 770/760?

Enough not just for one, but for two.

Whitebeard11 posted...
Do you know the symptoms of a failing or dying PSU?

There's no sure-fire way to tell that something is your PSU's fault unless you do extensive troubleshooting and determine that it can only be the PSU, or you have the equipment and knowledge to test a PSU properly. Since you probably don't have the equipment, I'll spare you the details on that.
If you have another PSU handy and you hook it up to your PC and the issues go away, that's also a good sign that your usual unit has a problem.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#10ShubPosted 11/4/2013 11:11:11 AM
lionheart5656 posted...
The only method I know is if you hear a high pitched noise coming from the PSU which would indicate a bearing problem and imminent failure.

It could just be coil whine, which is annoying but 100% harmless!
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.