This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How does Amazon make money? They get a certain % from things sold?

#11TheDrizzuhPosted 11/4/2013 7:13:09 PM
megaman4everEXE posted...
Economies of scale.

I meant their effects, I didn't deny their methods.
---
"I won! %@#$ you! You are dumb. I have crushed you."
--Wooz
#12bsballa09Posted 11/4/2013 7:13:47 PM
DerPancake posted...
Hilariously Amazon basically does exactly what Walmart does, put competitors out of business using their economies of scale, yet everyone who decries Walmart as some kind of great Satan utters not a peep about Amazon's nearly identical, with the exception of being digital, business model, but still I love Amazon.

Because Walmart sucks.
---
Assad is a doctor. It's insulting to suggest any doctor would actively order chemical weapons be employed onto civilians. - jabini
#13ArsenicOverlordPosted 11/4/2013 10:07:50 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
And this is why you're an art student

XD
---
Phosphorus? Pfffft, who needs 'em??
Happy user of PowerFAQs 1.12
#14Master_BassPosted 11/10/2013 2:37:52 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
If it's a marketplace item I'm sure they get a cut, no idea what that cut would be though.

It depends what kind of item you're selling. It can be 6-20%.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=1161240
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#15betatechPosted 11/10/2013 3:34:20 AM
TheDrizzuh posted...
DerPancake posted...
Hilariously Amazon basically does exactly what Walmart does, put competitors out of business using their economies of scale, yet everyone who decries Walmart as some kind of great Satan utters not a peep about Amazon's nearly identical, with the exception of being digital, business model, but still I love Amazon.

Amazon is not the same. Walmart competes with local brick-n-mortar businesses, hurting local economies in the process.

And Amazon doesn't?

Personally, I like Amazon but mainly because of their customer service.
---
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.
#16_LegendaryPunk_Posted 11/10/2013 3:53:33 AM
DerPancake posted...

Close enough. However, I feel that a majority of my Walmart hating friends base their stance not on Walmart's business model, but on their clientele and store cleanliness. Compare this to Amazon's customer service, clean website and rapid delivery.

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.
---
"But though you may find this slightly macabre,
We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job."