This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are there no returns allowed on digital content such as Steam?

#1GalaxyNexusPosted 11/4/2013 7:59:13 PM
There should be like a 30 minute window in case you regret a purchase so you can return it.
#2GalaxyNexus(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2013 8:00:59 PM
Such as games on steam*
#3halomonkey1_3_5Posted 11/4/2013 8:04:26 PM
they dont want you to return it

in all honestly, if retail stores could stop you from returning stuff, they would, but changing their policy now would be a PR nightmare and possibly illegal(im assuming some places have consumer protection laws, but I dont feel like looking it up)
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
#4dlfPosted 11/4/2013 8:19:42 PM
Didn't (the) European (Union) rule last year that (Europeans) should be able to (re)sell digital content?
---
I have built http://pcpartpicker.com/p/P5kr - Minus a few parts.
#5wizardmonPosted 11/4/2013 8:30:56 PM
dlf posted...
Didn't (the) European (Union) rule last year that (Europeans) should be able to (re)sell digital content?

Which is all fine and dandy, but they are not purchasing digital or physical content.

Although, I don't know EU laws at all since I don't live there and have never considered going there.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#6sauruschamp1Posted 11/4/2013 8:49:56 PM
origin has a return policy. Also I believe steam sometimes gives you a refund if you have yet to download the game (I think they give you one refund no questions asked then the rest is debatable).
The main reason is with digital you can just copy paste them and easier to keep backup. This can be compared to say a snes cartridge which is less likely to be copied as it requires special hardware (yes it still happens and that is why roms exist but you get what I mean).
---
Xbox GT: Zarosian 3DS ID: 1848-2118-1570
Origin and SteamID: Zarosio
#7arrseeteePosted 11/4/2013 9:01:41 PM
sauruschamp1 posted...
origin has a return policy. Also I believe steam sometimes gives you a refund if you have yet to download the game (I think they give you one refund no questions asked then the rest is debatable).
This is absolutly correct. While Origin openly allowing it is a great option, Valve on the other hand has never done it and right now isn't in a position to be really needing to add this. There are also many, many reports of people getting refunds for their purchases from contacting support. Usually most claim the purchase was a "mistake" so they let it pass, but I have never heard of someone getting a refund twice. Just one of Valves many unwriteen rules.
---
Posting from phone. So Police, don't whine about minor mistakes.
#8CourtofOwlsPosted 11/5/2013 2:14:52 AM
also should note that greenman allows trade-ins if a game doesn't use steam or origin
---
Boycott Best Buy!
#9KabtheMentatPosted 11/5/2013 2:23:41 AM
CourtofOwls posted...
also should note that greenman allows trade-ins if a game doesn't use steam or origin

Which is like what...maybe 10% of games nowadays?
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#10arleasPosted 11/5/2013 4:14:49 AM
The way I understand it, you can cancel a preorder with no repercussions, but once the game is downloaded and tied to your system you have to REALLY complain to customer service to get it refunded, and then that's it...you only get ONE refund.

Maybe they make an exception if you can't even play the game (e.g. you're on a Mac and the game in question doesn't have a Mac Version?) I don't know.
---
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309944238.png