This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Brothers torrenting is destroying network speeds what can I do about it?

#1DetectivPenguinPosted 11/4/2013 9:34:42 PM
Ok so he is downloading stuff on bittorrent for about 12 hours per day. Now the problem is I can't totally kick him off the internet, I know how to do that through my router but this would just cause endless router resets and probably calls to out ISP whilst everyone tries to figure out why he can't connect.

Whenever he has his torrents running everyone else gets super slow internet speed, if I am playing dota my ping goes from 40 to MINIMUM 500 (makes game unplayable), youtube is out of the question, playing any online shooters is totally impossible. So what can I do? I have found away to block every internet service coming from his ip in my router but the problem is that he still downloads just at ridiculously slow speeds, like under 200kbps but the overall internet is slowed just as much.

He could be downloading nothing at all but the internet still goes to crawl once the bittorrent hits the network. What can I do? What should I do? Please help me.
---
Interested in finance and the stock market?Want to have a gamefaqs board on it? Sign my site petition here:
www.gamefaqs.com/boards/7-site-suggestions/66852152
#2DerPancakePosted 11/4/2013 9:35:22 PM
Block torrent ports so his speeds slow down.
---
EVGA
#3steveboblarryPosted 11/4/2013 9:36:45 PM
put a cap in his ass
---
What Miley Cyrus did was not twerking, it was windshield wiping
#4KamenRiderBladePosted 11/4/2013 9:37:09 PM
Tell him to download when you sleep and stop torrenting when you are gaming.

If you have to share an internet, work out some ground rules so as to not be douches to each other.
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#5Auron_59261Posted 11/4/2013 9:38:49 PM
Or next time he leaves his computer on you can go on it and limit the download speeds.
---
i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz [] HIS IceQ X^2 7970 |1200|1600|3GB| [] 16GB Ripjaws Z 1866 [] ASRock Z77 Extreme4 [] 250GB Samsung 840 [] 2TB Barracuda [] CX 600 PSU [] H110
#6DetectivPenguin(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2013 9:40:17 PM
KamenRiderBlade posted...

If you have to share an internet, work out some ground rules so as to not be douches to each other.

I have told him this a thousand times, there is no reasoning with him. He says it's not fair that I can do stuff whenever but when he wants to use the internet i can tell him no. I tell him me playing games does not destroy the network for everyone and he doesn't care at all... he's an idiot about it. Which is why I need to take matters into my own hands.
---
Interested in finance and the stock market?Want to have a gamefaqs board on it? Sign my site petition here:
#7EpicKingdom_Posted 11/4/2013 9:40:38 PM
Make a prank, have a friend that he does not know show up at your door dressed up as a cop asking for your brother... for illegal downloads.
---
The PC gaming Master Race will never die out. We will continue to train, raise, and breed Master Race.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PCGamingMasterRace87/videos
#8DetectivPenguin(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2013 9:40:42 PM
Auron_59261 posted...
Or next time he leaves his computer on you can go on it and limit the download speeds.

Used this strategy successfully for awhile but he started catching on.
---
#9DerPancakePosted 11/4/2013 9:41:01 PM
DetectivPenguin posted...

I have told him this a thousand times, there is no reasoning with him. He says it's not fair that I can do stuff whenever but when he wants to use the internet i can tell him no. I tell him me playing games does not destroy the network for everyone and he doesn't care at all... he's an idiot about it. Which is why I need to take matters into my own hands.

Block torrent ports.
---
EVGA
#10KamenRiderBladePosted 11/4/2013 9:41:54 PM
DetectivPenguin posted...

Does he play games on the internet?

If so, torrent while he plays games on the internet for a taste of his own medicine.
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'