This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Computer crashes AFTER game shuts down completely and on desktop.

#1Jackol4ntrnPosted 11/5/2013 8:07:45 PM
So, I just bought a new graphics card, evga gtx 770, and when I play games like batman: ao or battlefield 4, I play them on ULTRA. No problem with the games. Everything runs smooth. I play for like a couple of hours. Then, when I close the game down, and exit back to my desktop, out of nowhere, my computer just CRASHES. Its not even like a blue screen. My screen flashes into a random color sometimes, or just BLACK, and the computer still acts as if it's still running.

I can't even start task manager. I dont think its just the graphics card because when some audio is playing, the audio get garbled and stops too when the computer crashes . I mean if it was just the card, the audio should continue playing, correct?

I ran the "uningine heaven banchmark" tool on ultra, I let it run for a few minutes, the card heats up to 80c with average of 40 fps. So I leave that and of course, my system crashes again.

I can still RMA the card and just get a new one, but I dont want to deal with the headache if it turns out theres something wrong with my system and not the card.

Any idea? The card I had before this, 570, caused no problems.
---
where my pen is
#2Delta_F14Posted 11/5/2013 8:11:07 PM
Did you try putting back in 570 to see if it still happens?
---
Vault Dweller > All other Video game characters
#3Jackol4ntrn(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2013 8:17:50 PM
I sold that card, so no.
---
where my pen is
#4Jackol4ntrn(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2013 1:42:39 PM
Decided to RMA the card. Maybe it was just bad luck. It happens sometimes, not all the time. EVGA tech support said its one of those "peculiar problems."
---
where my pen is
#5SinisterSlayPosted 11/6/2013 1:46:00 PM
Hopefully it was the card.

I've seen crashes (long time ago however) when the card changes power modes.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#6Jackol4ntrn(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2013 1:57:26 PM
The evga guy did ask me to change the "power management" mode from "adaptive" to "prefer maximum performance" from the nvidia control panel. I played for like 2-3 hours straight on BF4 last night and stopped without my computer crashing.

Maybe that did help, but I wouldn't want to risk it.
---
where my pen is
#7SinisterSlayPosted 11/6/2013 2:02:06 PM
Jackol4ntrn posted...
The evga guy did ask me to change the "power management" mode from "adaptive" to "prefer maximum performance" from the nvidia control panel. I played for like 2-3 hours straight on BF4 last night and stopped without my computer crashing.

Maybe that did help, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

That means it was defective.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence