This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The hate for Games for Windows Live...I don't understand.

#1DerPancakePosted 11/5/2013 11:00:51 PM
I bought off GTA IV from yesterday when it was in sale, and I got the game. I never had a game with GFWL drm, and since everyone hated it, I though I would too, but in the end I don't get why all the hate. When i put on the game it told me to make an account, made it and that was all, I had no freaking problems with it. I don't get whats so bad about it.

The only annoying thing about GTA IV is Rockstar's Social Club.
---
EVGA
#2MonkeymagePosted 11/5/2013 11:03:54 PM
Save issues and for many people, there seemed to be an issue with GFWL getting stuck in a loop of needing to update, but you needed to be signed in, but it wouldn't let you sign in without an updated client.

It was a completely neglected aspect of the Microsoft business plan, and honestly it stuck around way longer than it should have without proper support. The only reason developers chose to use it as a DRM portal was because it was a quick and dirty way to do X360 > PC ports (a la Dark Souls).
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#3Kad-ManPosted 11/5/2013 11:04:02 PM
Its known for corrupting save files for one its a giant piece of crap.
#4DerPancake(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2013 11:06:24 PM
Monkeymage posted...
Save issues and for many people, there seemed to be an issue with GFWL getting stuck in a loop of needing to update, but you needed to be signed in, but it wouldn't let you sign in without an updated client.

It was a completely neglected aspect of the Microsoft business plan, and honestly it stuck around way longer than it should have without proper support. The only reason developers chose to use it as a DRM portal was because it was a quick and dirty way to do X360 > PC ports (a la Dark Souls).

I see, I haven't had a problem with that yet. Hope it doesn't happen.
---
EVGA
#5ArthasRebornPosted 11/5/2013 11:09:13 PM
Monkeymage posted...
there seemed to be an issue with GFWL getting stuck in a loop of needing to update, but you needed to be signed in, but it wouldn't let you sign in without an updated client.

Argh, don't remind me, dammit.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/arthasreborn
http://i.imgur.com/0Zamww5.jpg http://i.imgur.com/PDgXlnY.jpg
#6FenriswolfPosted 11/6/2013 12:58:48 AM
There's not much problem at all, and all of the so called problems of GFWL can easily be fixed by downloading the official client from MS's website. GFWL's only mistake was to allow its games to be sold on Steam, where thanks to Chinese whispers lots of its problems were exaggerated.
---
Hello
#7FenriswolfPosted 11/6/2013 1:03:02 AM
Monkeymage posted...

Like I said, this would not have happened if people bought GFWL games from retailers other than Steam. GFWL is designed for retail disc installation, and has compatibility issues with Steam. Everything could've been easily solved if people bothered to look around instead of asking for Steam to solve everything for them.

Call of Duty MW2 onwards used Steamworks and still stink like a console port, whereas GFWL had several PC exclusives like Dawn of War 2.
---
Hello
#8Bigj089Posted 11/6/2013 1:27:12 AM
Fenriswolf posted...
There's not much problem at all, and all of the so called problems of GFWL can easily be fixed by downloading the official client from MS's website. GFWL's only mistake was to allow its games to be sold on Steam, where thanks to Chinese whispers lots of its problems were exaggerated.

Funnily enough, I had those problems minus the save issue for GFWL before I ever even had Steam.

I wonder what it's like to be as naively in love with something as you are with GFWL.
---
I hate pineapple pizza but I don't boycott pizza shops that offer that abomination.--The Liberator
#9spud_almightyPosted 11/6/2013 7:16:34 AM
DerPancake posted...
I bought off GTA IV from yesterday when it was in sale, and I got the game. I never had a game with GFWL drm, and since everyone hated it, I though I would too, but in the end I don't get why all the hate. When i put on the game it told me to make an account, made it and that was all, I had no freaking problems with it. I don't get whats so bad about it.

The only annoying thing about GTA IV is Rockstar's Social Club.

I have no idea where they find these problems either to be honest. I must of clocked over 200 hours with GFWL and never had one single problem.

I think it's just gamers acting like drama queens.
#10SinisterSlayPosted 11/6/2013 7:18:39 AM
You realize your game will stop working fairly soon right?
GFWL is shutting down, it was crazy stupid to buy a game from there.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence