This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The hate for Games for Windows Live...I don't understand.

#11biohazard1775Posted 11/6/2013 8:20:47 AM
It completely screwed up Bioshock 2 for me. Once I played it after the removal I stopped getting all these bugs.
---
http://i.imgur.com/nrx65Pw.jpg
We should take away their metal boxes!
#12snesmaster40Posted 11/6/2013 8:32:17 AM
GFWL was responsible for making Batman Arkham City gamers lose their saves at a certain point. What would happen is that a story achievement would trigger and then for some reason the save would get erased. It's been fixed now, but many people were extremely upset as this happened half-way through the game and there wasn't anyway to recover the save.
---
Are we not men?
#13Jprime666Posted 11/6/2013 8:38:50 AM
ArthasReborn posted...
Monkeymage posted...
there seemed to be an issue with GFWL getting stuck in a loop of needing to update, but you needed to be signed in, but it wouldn't let you sign in without an updated client.

Argh, don't remind me, dammit.

This was my biggest problem with it. That and it would never ever remember my info.

Bioshock 2 was unplayable for me for a long time because I needed to update, but I couldn't because I wasn't signed in, and I couldn't sign in because I wasn't updated. 5 months later it just fixed itself.

And I have never had a gfwl game remember my information. Every time, literally every time I turned on a gfwl game I had to enter my information, even when I told it to remember.

So if I was playing a game and it crashed, or I turned it off and played again an hour later I would have to enter my login again.

I remember for Arkham city there was a fwhole month that every time I turned the game on I had to enter my product code.

It was nothing but a nuisance.
---
Out of the doorway the bullets rip
To the sound of the beat
#14DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/6/2013 8:42:39 AM
Monkeymage posted...
Save issues and for many people, there seemed to be an issue with GFWL getting stuck in a loop of needing to update, but you needed to be signed in, but it wouldn't let you sign in without an updated client.

I think Lost Planet 2 still gets stuck in that loop after a fresh Steam install...
Let's not forget that when the G4WL service goes down, every game using it will be effectively wasted money unless updated for it's removal.
---
Even people have toenails. Of course PCs have toenails. -claytonbuckley
#15Knight2520Posted 11/6/2013 8:45:11 AM
Fenriswolf posted...

It was a completely neglected aspect of the Microsoft business plan, and honestly it stuck around way longer than it should have without proper support. The only reason developers chose to use it as a DRM portal was because it was a quick and dirty way to do X360 > PC ports (a la Dark Souls).

Call of Duty MW2 onwards used Steamworks and still stink like a console port, whereas GFWL had several PC exclusives like Dawn of War 2.

What you posted is completely irrelevant to what Monkeymage posted. He didn't imply that not using GFWL automatically exempts a game from a terrible console port, nor did he imply that only ports made it onto GFWL. All he said was that it was a quick and dirty way of porting 360 games to PC.
---
Xbox LIVE Gamertag: Onyx Spartan II
The Timurids will never find me in America! - BlueYoshi579
#16AlavardPosted 11/6/2013 9:16:51 AM
The patching system never seems to work for me. It always tries to patch while in game, and never makes any progress. I always have to manually obtain a new version of GFWL outside of the game.
#17Bellum_SacrumPosted 11/6/2013 10:55:47 AM
It is not Steam, and modern PC plebeians want everything on their favourite DRM platform.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#18KillerTrufflePosted 11/6/2013 11:01:02 AM
GFWL is one of the worst ever examples of DRM. A few are worse still (e.g. Starforce), but it's still terrible.

The plague of corrupted save files is just the beginning. The worst thing that happened to me was with Bioshock. I bought Bioshock on Steam, and it downloaded just fine. I ran it, and it first ran GFWL setup. I created an account, and attempted to log in, but it said it needed to update GFWL before I could log in. So I clicked OK, and after a little bit, it gave me an error that said I needed to be logged in in order to apply the update. Clicking OK on *that* gave the error that it needed to update before it could log in, and it just kept going round and round in an infinite loop. You can't log in until you update, but you can't update until you log in.

Bull**** like that is why I despise GFWL. Origin is better than GFWL, and I hate EA, so that's saying something.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#19FenriswolfPosted 11/7/2013 3:44:42 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
GFWL is one of the worst ever examples of DRM. A few are worse still (e.g. Starforce), but it's still terrible.

The plague of corrupted save files is just the beginning. The worst thing that happened to me was with Bioshock. I bought Bioshock on Steam, and it downloaded just fine. I ran it, and it first ran GFWL setup. I created an account, and attempted to log in, but it said it needed to update GFWL before I could log in. So I clicked OK, and after a little bit, it gave me an error that said I needed to be logged in in order to apply the update. Clicking OK on *that* gave the error that it needed to update before it could log in, and it just kept going round and round in an infinite loop. You can't log in until you update, but you can't update until you log in.

Bull**** like that is why I despise GFWL. Origin is better than GFWL, and I hate EA, so that's saying something.

Your fault for buying it on Steam. My disc/Marketplace version ran fine.
---
Hello
#20KillerTrufflePosted 11/7/2013 3:52:41 PM
Fenriswolf posted...
Your fault for buying it on Steam. My disc/Marketplace version ran fine.

Well that's about right... blame the customer for buying it through a legitimate source, rather than the mentally incompetent chimpanzees who coded such a trash piece of software and forced it on all those games to start with.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23