This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The hate for Games for Windows Live...I don't understand.

#21FenriswolfPosted 11/7/2013 3:57:58 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Fenriswolf posted...
Your fault for buying it on Steam. My disc/Marketplace version ran fine.

Well that's about right... blame the customer for buying it through a legitimate source, rather than the mentally incompetent chimpanzees who coded such a trash piece of software and forced it on all those games to start with.

There's plenty of warnings out there outlining that the GFWL client should be downloaded from MS's website, as the Steam installation system causes compatibility issues. It's not MS's problem if you fail to read.

And funnily enough, GFWL is far better piece of software than the crappy Steam client ever was, and until the beginning of this year Steam doesn't even let you choose installation directory, LMAO
---
Hello
#22Metroid_LoverPosted 11/7/2013 4:11:15 PM
I heard it's also because to play a game that uses it, you have to sign into the program to run/play a game, for a time there was no 'off-line mode' to play a SP game, and something about save files, there saved differently, and hard to restore/backup?

I forgot, It's been a while since I played a game that used that 'client'

I personally don't' see the reason why, why do I have to sign into a program just to play a game I already have?
Why can't I just ,say, start the game and play right away?

But as said already, I'll never understand M$ thinking they know what's right for us the users.
---
Naked Courier (Skyrim): I've been looking for you. Got something I'm supposed to deliver. Your hands only...
#23DragnfyrPosted 11/7/2013 4:19:50 PM
Fenriswolf posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
GFWL is one of the worst ever examples of DRM. A few are worse still (e.g. Starforce), but it's still terrible.

The plague of corrupted save files is just the beginning. The worst thing that happened to me was with Bioshock. I bought Bioshock on Steam, and it downloaded just fine. I ran it, and it first ran GFWL setup. I created an account, and attempted to log in, but it said it needed to update GFWL before I could log in. So I clicked OK, and after a little bit, it gave me an error that said I needed to be logged in in order to apply the update. Clicking OK on *that* gave the error that it needed to update before it could log in, and it just kept going round and round in an infinite loop. You can't log in until you update, but you can't update until you log in.

Bull**** like that is why I despise GFWL. Origin is better than GFWL, and I hate EA, so that's saying something.

It's not a problem with Steam. GFWL was horribly buggy and could never update itself properly in game. I always had to update it manually outside of the game because the in-game update would just end up in an infinite loop.
---
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.9 | Windows 8.1 Pro
#24KaiRyusakiPosted 11/7/2013 4:37:01 PM
It's not valve
therefor it's evil
#25KillerTrufflePosted 11/7/2013 4:40:44 PM
Metroid_Lover posted...
I heard it's also because to play a game that uses it, you have to sign into the program to run/play a game, for a time there was no 'off-line mode' to play a SP game, and something about save files, there saved differently, and hard to restore/backup?

I forgot, It's been a while since I played a game that used that 'client'

I personally don't' see the reason why, why do I have to sign into a program just to play a game I already have?
Why can't I just ,say, start the game and play right away?

But as said already, I'll never understand M$ thinking they know what's right for us the users.

Yes, the way GFWL handled game saves, they were *frequently* corrupted, meaning you often lost all progress and had to start from scratch.

Fenriswolf posted...
There's plenty of warnings out there outlining that the GFWL client should be downloaded from MS's website, as the Steam installation system causes compatibility issues. It's not MS's problem if you fail to read.

And funnily enough, GFWL is far better piece of software than the crappy Steam client ever was, and until the beginning of this year Steam doesn't even let you choose installation directory, LMAO

I don't recall seeing anything specifically saying that Steam caused GFWL problems. Where were all these warnings to be found? Because the only warnings I ever ran across were that GFWL is a sucky, horribly buggy program that will probably lose your saves.

And as notorious as GFWL is for screwing up saves for so many games, what exactly do you find "better" about it than Steam? I'll admit Steam sucked horribly when it first came out, and I avoided it for several years, but it as significantly improved now. GFWL, on the other hand, really hasn't. Except for the fact that it's finally being removed from games and shut down.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#26Bigj089Posted 11/7/2013 4:48:26 PM
Fenriswolf posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
Fenriswolf posted...

Well that's about right... blame the customer for buying it through a legitimate source, rather than the mentally incompetent chimpanzees who coded such a trash piece of software and forced it on all those games to start with.

You're right, that's why Steam is getting shut down and GFWL is booming.
---
I hate pineapple pizza but I don't boycott pizza shops that offer that abomination.--The Liberator
#27qeoijlijwPosted 11/7/2013 5:26:26 PM
i've been using gfwl since it started and never had any problems
you guys just arent good with computers
user error is to blame
i spilled coffee on my computer and now it doesnt work, i hate microsoft it's all their fault
those people are you
#28Bigj089Posted 11/7/2013 5:37:19 PM
qeoijlijw posted...
user error is to blame
i spilled coffee on my computer and now it doesnt work, i hate microsoft it's all their fault
those people are you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0
---
I hate pineapple pizza but I don't boycott pizza shops that offer that abomination.--The Liberator
#29KillerTrufflePosted 11/7/2013 5:38:54 PM
qeoijlijw posted...
user error is to blame
those people are you

Care to back up the "user error" argument with facts? What could hundreds of thousands of users have done differently to avoid having their savegames corrupted? Or more importantly, what did they DO to CAUSE their GFWL savegames to be corrupted?

I have an answer for that... they used GFWL.

Same token, you're saying the fact that GFWL updates did not work properly unless you ran them from the core client rather than after starting a game was the fault of the *users*? Again, what could users have done any differently to make GFWL updates work properly when they started the game?
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#30lemonfedPosted 11/7/2013 6:24:44 PM
I did played some gfwl retails games way long before I had the internet ... not all of those games even require an online connection , Fallout 3 and quantum of solace are for exemple are gonna stay fully fonctionall as single player games.
---
lemonfed / my lord , it seem that ganon and his minions have seize the island of gamefaqs .