This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can an OC gpu cause games to freeze?

#1sockroxPosted 11/6/2013 11:08:51 AM
Some of my games will freeze after a little while. For example, Darksiders II, if the area is snowy , the screen will turn the shade of the snow color and freeze , it also looks like it divides into little bars, that all this "color" ( it doesn't have to be snow, just an example ) and I have to turn it off and on to fix it.

Turn down the OC on the gpu??
#2sockrox(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2013 11:21:27 AM
Bump
#3sonicteam2k1Posted 11/6/2013 11:57:38 AM
yes. it can cause them to crash too.
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#4SinisterSlayPosted 11/6/2013 12:00:13 PM
Yes, happens to me in the last remnant.
If I overclock any amount at all, the game will occasionally freeze and all the textures get messed up. If I minimize and restore, the game is good again for another few minutes.

On the other hand, I can give a huge overclock and play tomb raider 2013 for hours on end no problem at all.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#5SnadadosPosted 11/6/2013 12:10:44 PM(edited)
sockrox posted...
Some of my games will freeze after a little while. For example, Darksiders II, if the area is snowy , the screen will turn the shade of the snow color and freeze , it also looks like it divides into little bars, that all this "color" ( it doesn't have to be snow, just an example ) and I have to turn it off and on to fix it.

Turn down the OC on the gpu??

The color graphical glitches could be a sign that your GPU overclocked too far and / or is getting too hot.

Did you or someone else overclock the card or did it come overclocked?
It is unlikely, but not impossible, for a factory overclock to be too high.

Check your temps on the GPU while playing games.

I'd try setting your card to what ever its stock factory setting are and see how it does.

If you still want to overclock your GPU search around for other people with the same GPU and what kind of overclocks they are getting.
Each card will handle overclocking differently but if you see people get around 1ghz and your chip is running at 1.100 you either have a great overclocking card or your card is set too high.
Don't forget to check your memory speed and voltage as well.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#6Kokuei05Posted 11/6/2013 12:09:09 PM
Yes if it's not stable.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsO-Td0hqXo