This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will this computer play games well?

#1XD375Posted 11/6/2013 1:09:22 PM
Hey guys, I'm what you'd call a console peasant but now that I have somewhat of an income, I feel like I can afford to main a computer. I don't feel confident enough to make my own builds yet so I'm looking for a pre-made computer to start out with. I'm very good with computer software but I'm not so knowledgeable with hardware. I'd like to learn.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/asus-asus-desktop-pc-intel-i7-4770-2tb-hdd-12gb-ram-windows-8-m51ac-ca004s/10268368.aspx?path=f4780e87c7a4bbfa3e9b45340ea9f723en02

I have my eyes on this at the moment. Would it run most games well? I'm guessing you guys will be able to tell me why this particular computer is a bad choice, so if it is, can you guys point me in the right direction? I'm hoping I won't have to go over $1500 or so...

Oh, and I'm not limiting myself to just desktops. A good laptop would be awesome too.
#2PhilOnDezPosted 11/6/2013 1:18:08 PM
It's got an i7 and a 650. It would be good for MMOs but anything else made in the last few years would probably only play well at 60 fps on medium if you're playing at 1080p. If you're under that it would do better but for the price you can do a lot better. An i5 and 760/7950 is about $700 if you build it yourself and is a much more balanced build vs the strong processor and weak gpu of that prebuilt. For $900 you could get an unlocked i7 and a cooler and still keep the 7950 or 760, or get an unlocked i5 and a better gpu. For $1500 you can get an unlocked i7, a 780, and an SSD.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#3SinisterSlayPosted 11/6/2013 1:29:27 PM
It's actually not bad.

However, if you want to upgrade it in the future, you would have to change the video card and the power supply. The 300 watt power supply will be crappy. It might even toast the board if you have unclean power.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#4XD375(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2013 8:12:12 PM
Thanks guys. I'd like to be able to play games on high at 1080p, and I'd also like something future-proof, so I'll reconsider. I'm willing to take suggestions. The idea of building something myself is still kinda scary at my level of knowledge.
#5somebody336Posted 11/6/2013 8:17:33 PM
If you do buy that I suggest changing the power supply.
#6TimePharaohPosted 11/6/2013 8:17:41 PM
Pay someone to build it for you then

You won't find one in a store
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png
#7VIP86Posted 11/6/2013 9:06:25 PM
XD375 posted...
Thanks guys. I'd like to be able to play games on high at 1080p, and I'd also like something future-proof, so I'll reconsider. I'm willing to take suggestions. The idea of building something myself is still kinda scary at my level of knowledge.

Watch videos on youtube. Familiarize yourself with the parts that are needed to build a desktop.
---
i5-3570K| MAXIMUS V GENE| ASUS DCUII 670| CORSAIR XMS3 8GB| CORSAIR 350D| INTEL 520 180GB| CORSAIR H110i| CORSAIR AX750
#8KabtheMentatPosted 11/6/2013 9:08:29 PM
Building a PC yourself is super easy. Just don't manhandle the parts and you'll be okay. Except a new GPU...sometimes you gotta rough it in a little. You basically can't put stuff in the wrong spot because they simply won't fit.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#9Master_BassPosted 11/6/2013 9:16:52 PM
XD375 posted...

The computer you linked to actually isn't that bad but you'd need to replace the PSU and GPU to get the performance you want. It would be more cost effective just to build your own.
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#10superstud69xPosted 11/6/2013 9:36:59 PM
Master_Bass posted...
XD375 posted...

The computer you linked to actually isn't that bad but you'd need to replace the PSU and GPU to get the performance you want. It would be more cost effective just to build your own.

Also, as a bonus, from all the research you do, as well as the actual putting together the computer yourself, you will know much more about your computer (and computers in general), and when/if something goes wrong down the line, you'll have an easier time figuring it out.
---
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.