This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows keeps loosing Drive D: - hardware fault? bios? drivers?

#1KalirionPosted 11/6/2013 12:51:29 PM
So a few times now, suddenly Windows won't find the second drive in the system. Shutting down and restarting gets its back, but once I tried restart w/o shutdown and the BIOS froze in the middle of loading - dunno if it would've recovered, I forced shut down after 20 seconds.

I downloaded some free S.M.A.R.T. checker utility and it reports the drive healthy.

Any clues?
---
Don't be scared of nightmares; make them be scared of you.
#2BogePosted 11/6/2013 1:03:39 PM(edited)
I have a drive like that, an OCZ SSD. There isn't a lot you can do with a hard drive. You plug it in correctly and your bios should detect it. You can update the firmware on the drive (I did with my SSD, but didn't really fix the issue), but you'll have to look into that yourself. Check to see if it's still under warranty. A lot of hard drives have 5 years.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#3Kalirion(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2013 1:09:26 PM(edited)
Boge posted...
I have a drive like that, an OCZ SSD. There isn't a lot you can do with a hard drive. You plug it in correctly and your bios should detect it. You can update the firmware on the drive (I did with my SSD, but didn't really fix the issue), but you'll have to look into that yourself. Check to see if it's still under warranty. A lot of hard drives have 5 years.

Thanks for the reply!

Funny enough, the main drive is an OCZ SSD, and it runs fine (the SMART utility only has it at 56%). This is a used system I got, so not sure how old the drives are.

Could installing latest chipset drivers help with something? I reformatted both drives and reinstalled Windows, so any intel chipset drives would need to be reinstalled - if I can figure out which ones it is.
---
#4WerdnAndreWPosted 11/6/2013 1:36:27 PM
If the BIOS is freezing then its a hardware problem.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#5BogePosted 11/6/2013 7:31:44 PM
Update the firmware for the drive. I think it helped some with me. I RARELY see the problem anymore. It does happen, but it really hasn't been an issue since I updated the firmware. I believe it updated from the bios, but I can't remember exactly how I did it. It was easy. Just do a search.
---
#6someflamablekidPosted 11/6/2013 8:48:50 PM
I sort of have the same issue. My second HDD sometimes doesn't get picked up. And sometimes on startup windows will take a lot longer to start. I thought my HDD was dying since it has been about 5 years. I've changed tr sata cable and port and the problem persists. Wonder if it's a windows thing? Only my other hard drive isn't having this issue.
#7Kalirion(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 11:22:21 AM
Boge posted...
Update the firmware for the drive. I think it helped some with me. I RARELY see the problem anymore. It does happen, but it really hasn't been an issue since I updated the firmware. I believe it updated from the bios, but I can't remember exactly how I did it. It was easy. Just do a search.

Thanks, I'll try that. I can just use the Device Manager info on the drive to search, right? Or should I open up the case for good measure?
---
#8BogePosted 11/8/2013 11:35:37 AM
Kalirion posted...
Boge posted...

Thanks, I'll try that. I can just use the Device Manager info on the drive to search, right? Or should I open up the case for good measure?

I guess it depends on what the Device Manager is reporting. Mine shows OCZ Vertex 2 which is all the information I needed when I did it. You could just take the side panel off your machine to get a closer look just to be sure. Shouldn't have to take the drive out to see the label on the top.
---
#9BogePosted 11/8/2013 11:36:33 AM
someflamablekid posted...
I sort of have the same issue. My second HDD sometimes doesn't get picked up. And sometimes on startup windows will take a lot longer to start. I thought my HDD was dying since it has been about 5 years. I've changed tr sata cable and port and the problem persists. Wonder if it's a windows thing? Only my other hard drive isn't having this issue.

Run a scandisk on it.
---
#10PraetorXynPosted 11/8/2013 2:35:54 PM
I had my secondary drive in my laptop disappear after I reinstalled Windows. Updating the BIOS/UEFI fixed it.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9