This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Whats up with Indies and their 8bit lazyness?

#61akuma634Posted 11/7/2013 7:13:45 PM
Not everyone can afford HD 2D graphics like Rayman Origins. Most indie devs who are a 1-5 person team can do 8-bit styled graphics and fairly simplistic gameplay like the many Mario and Mega Man type indie games. These are people paying out of their own bank account with little man power for a project.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#62Arsene-LupinPosted 11/7/2013 7:18:23 PM
It's not a matter of artistic integrity. It's a matter of budget. Higher fidelity images require, you know, an actual ARTIST. Most independent studios cannot afford to hire even one dedicated artist, it's much easier to simply draw up simple 8bit sprites themselves.

If it were an artistic choice, you'd be seeing 16-bit instead. It's the SNES era people are all so (rightfully) nostalgic for, not the NES and earlier.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#63TimePharaohPosted 11/7/2013 7:30:30 PM
Bkongo posted...
Why are indie companies building games they like rather than catering to exactly what you want? It's a real mystery.

That's cute, you think they don't care about money.
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png
#64Treason686Posted 11/7/2013 10:38:23 PM
Tommy2GoGo posted...

Indie games aren't the future.
They'll be taking games a whole step back.

"Triple A" games.

CoD
Assassin's Creed
Crysis
Halo

Indie games:

Minecraft
Don't Starve
Terraria
FTL

I'll take the Indie titles. I could name several more high quality games by indie devs. None of those games even has a story, but they have incredible replay value.

All of those high budget titles are (were) great. Assassin's Creed had great game play, but it was re-hashed again and again, just like Halo and Call of Duty. Crysis set the benchmark for what a game should be graphically, but after that it was just a shooter.

Indie games mostly suck, but the great ones are freaking awesome. The four games on my list sucked me in for hours on end, and there are others like Bastion, Cave Story, Dungeons of Dredmor. Those games aren't possible with big publishers.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#65DerPancake(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2013 10:44:53 PM
Treason686 posted...
Tommy2GoGo posted...

Indie games aren't the future.
They'll be taking games a whole step back.

"Triple A" games.

CoD
Assassin's Creed
Crysis
Halo

Indie games:

Minecraft
Don't Starve
Terraria
FTL

I'll take the Indie titles. I could name several more high quality games by indie devs. None of those games even has a story, but they have incredible replay value.

All of those high budget titles are (were) great. Assassin's Creed had great game play, but it was re-hashed again and again, just like Halo and Call of Duty. Crysis set the benchmark for what a game should be graphically, but after that it was just a shooter.

Indie games mostly suck, but the great ones are freaking awesome. The four games on my list sucked me in for hours on end, and there are others like Bastion, Cave Story, Dungeons of Dredmor. Those games aren't possible with big publishers.

AAA games just mean high budget, if you give high budget to a untalented dev team like the new Infinity Ward then it doesn't matter they will release crap, but give a high budget to Rockstar...
---
EVGA
#66squidgy617Posted 11/7/2013 10:49:30 PM
Graaaaah so much wrong with one post.

First off, that picture is not 8-bit. Learn to tell the difference. Sprites =/= 8-bit. In face, those are some fantastic looking sprites, you picked one of the better-looking pixel-art games to use as an example. Nice job.

Second, its an art style, though I do agree I would like to see more people go for the vector-art style, but its not "laziness" so much as how they want the game to look.
#67jakisthePosted 11/8/2013 12:27:40 AM
Wow does King Arthurs Gold remind me of Fat Princess.
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#68DoomkillaPosted 11/8/2013 1:00:08 AM
The ironic thing being that 8bit tends to withstand the times more so than realistic graphics do. It's all about forcing that kind of over saturated graphic hunger mentality. Why give people something that can last decades if you can force things to be outdated prematurely by using bloom to make things seem real?

It's not like people will take the time to look up close at the textures with all these corridor shooters about. CoD and BF are good examples. I honestly think that if those two were to actually use their funding for something actually productive for the gaming industry as a whole. We'd be in a much, much better place.
---
"The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern."
Moiraine Damodred
#69claytonbuckleyPosted 11/8/2013 6:56:49 AM
i think alot of people are confusing 8-bit with pixel art. Example of an 8-bit game would be something on the NES, like Super Mario.

Modern pixel art games have way too many colours and other modern features to be considered 8-bit
---
Pointing out your stupidity is not trolling
#70lemonfedPosted 11/8/2013 11:19:43 AM
its would be like asking why tarantino still make movies like we where in the 80's ...
---
lemonfed / my lord , it seem that ganon and his minions have seize the island of gamefaqs .