This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any idea why my laptop charges my phone when it's dead, but not on?

#1Agnostic420Posted 11/6/2013 10:49:04 PM
When it dies, it'll charge up to where it powers on (iphone, so 5%)

And when it's charged and plugged in, it doesn't charge and like the iphone thing on the laptop will keep dinging and it won't charge.

It's a bit annoying.
#2DXMGPosted 11/6/2013 11:12:08 PM
Your laptop doesn't supply enough current. it has JUST enough to charge, if the phone isnt on. If it is on, all the current coming through the USB port is running the phone.
---
Medic!
#3Agnostic420(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2013 11:16:10 PM
Think it's the laptop or the phone coard?
#4Agnostic420(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2013 11:17:56 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5PhilOnDezPosted 11/7/2013 12:59:20 AM
It's going to be the laptop. Best example I can think to give doesn't match this exactly but it's pretty close.

An iPad draws a lot more juice than an iPhone. An iPhone charger provides 5v, 1 amp, an iPad charger is 10v, 2 amps. If you hook an iPad to an iPhone charger it provides enough juice to run the device, but not enough to charge it unless you completely power down (not just lock/sleep) the device.

Your USB ports might not be putting out enough juice to power and charge your phone simultaneously, that's what it sounds like to me. Outside of a cable just not working at all I've never heard of one reducing current so that doesn't seem likely at all.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#6schadowPosted 11/7/2013 1:00:24 AM
It could be the laptop. I once had a laptop that couldn't power a USB-powered external disk (it only managed to push the LED), while all other laptops could.
---
MageofBlood391 posted...
GameFAQs: Because if all else fails, you can always argue semantics.