This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Square Enix to revive three Eidos IPs through crowd funding

#51arleasPosted 11/7/2013 9:25:28 AM
The only possible saving grace I could see of this is if Square Enix is responsible for marketing the finished game (and guarantees a good marketing campaign), and if they're also responsible for publishing the game as well

Looks like the story was updated:
Weíre actually wanting devs to walk away with 80% of net sales (net sales is the amount left after you have to pay stuff like platform royalties and sales tax) Ė and thatís only assuming that you use our IP and we distribute. If itís original IP and we donít distribute, we take nothing from net sales at all.

Otherwise it sounds like exactly like you said... they distribute and market the game...but they're also saying you don't have to use their distribution and you don't have to use their IP either, though in that case, why bother to use their version of Indiegogo?
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png
#52badboy(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2013 9:28:45 AM
That's great.
#53DoomerangPosted 11/7/2013 9:37:24 AM
arleas posted...
The only possible saving grace I could see of this is if Square Enix is responsible for marketing the finished game (and guarantees a good marketing campaign), and if they're also responsible for publishing the game as well

Looks like the story was updated:
Weíre actually wanting devs to walk away with 80% of net sales (net sales is the amount left after you have to pay stuff like platform royalties and sales tax) Ė and thatís only assuming that you use our IP and we distribute. If itís original IP and we donít distribute, we take nothing from net sales at all.

Otherwise it sounds like exactly like you said... they distribute and market the game...but they're also saying you don't have to use their distribution and you don't have to use their IP either, though in that case, why bother to use their version of Indiegogo?

They'd probably still put the non-IP games in some future Square-Enix indie bundles, so it'd be free marketing I guess.

Still, it's nice to know that my hopes were actually on the mark and are somewhat better than I expected, since I never expected Square to take such a small cut of post-release sales. Also somewhat justifies the large cut they get from the kickstarter itself.
---
Kenshin's the Beauty, Kaoru's the Beast? - Mister_Feeny
Would that make Shishioh the candle guy? - Gettles
#54PanopictonguyPosted 11/7/2013 5:01:01 PM
I'd prefer old square and enix titles rebooted.

FFVII
Pasasite Eve
XenoGEARS
Star Ocean (from snes)
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#55chaosdragon919Posted 11/7/2013 5:08:32 PM
Altmadragon posted...
GEX!!!!?!?!?!?!????!!!!

My basic reaction. Never thought I'd hear that come back.
---
Needs more books.
#56DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/7/2013 5:20:22 PM
badboy posted...
It's about ownership. If you want to use a Michael Jackson song in a commercial game, you still need to pay the owners. This is how business works.

No, it's about publishers finding more ways to screw everyone while doing less and less.
---
Even people have toenails. Of course PCs have toenails. -claytonbuckley
#57somebody336Posted 11/7/2013 7:54:12 PM
Altmadragon posted...
GEX!!!!?!?!?!?!????!!!!