This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Buy now or wait? GPU Upgrade.

• Topic Archived

You have been randomly selected to participate in the Beta Test of our new message list page. We've rolled out this test in order to get additional feedback and error reports from a wider subset of users. We'll only display this notice once, but permanent links to disable the Beta, provide feedback, and get more information will be located at the bottom of each message list.

To disable this test for now, click here. For more information, please read our announcement about this redesign.

1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Buy now or wait? GPU Upgrade.
2 years ago#11
7950...anyone else have some other opinions? I just want to see a few different ideas.

TimePharaoh posted...
I'd suggesting upgrading the games you want to play first tbqh

Very informative, please go on.
---
Fallout: Nuka Break http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9UwlAAnlmg Watch it! Love it? Support it!
Fan Film
2 years ago#12
GrimmViking posted...
Spend 300 bucks on the R9 280x and call it a day. The R9 280x is very similar to the 7970's performance level.

I'd say this. Can't you wait a bit longer and save a little money for it?
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
2 years ago#13
newegg has $170 HD 7870s right now, Powercolor's tahiti or w/e and MSI ghz ed.
---
PC: 16 cores with 10 meg pipe | XTREME Case modified with flames and blue LEDs for XTREME speeds | 22" CPU
2 years ago#14
Since new video cards came out there has been a rather nice price drop on a bunch but yeah, wait till Black Friday, see what's available.
2 years ago#15
The Radeon HD 7950 has been on sale recently for as low as $180 after rebate so that's going to be your best bang for your buck under $200. Unfortunately the cheapest one out there right now is $236. I'd wait until it drops below $200 again.
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
2 years ago#16
So I should keep an eye on the 7950 for the next few weeks? As for the The R9 280x, is that the best card in the $300 range?
---
Fallout: Nuka Break http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9UwlAAnlmg Watch it! Love it? Support it!
Fan Film
2 years ago#17
Littlemikesc posted...
So I should keep an eye on the 7950 for the next few weeks? As for the The R9 280x, is that the best card in the $300 range?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-r79503gd5ocbe

You can see how the 7950 was $180 on and off through half of September and October. I'd expect that again soon..

note: that 7950 is apparently very toasty when gaming
---
PC: 16 cores with 10 meg pipe | XTREME Case modified with flames and blue LEDs for XTREME speeds | 22" CPU
(edited by Fury_Futur)
2 years ago#18
See if you can get a 7950 cheap, if not an R9 270 would likely be your best bet.
---
Currently playing: Borderlands 2
SteamID: gsf4lyfe
2 years ago#19
3.2 Quad is pretty vague, what model processor do you have?

I'd definitely wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday. I don't know what kind of deals they have on GPUs but it's not far away and they won't be more expensive! If you can jump up to the $200-250 range, you can hope for a GTX 770 to drop down to that range during Black Friday/Cybe Monday. Right now you can get a 2GB model for $330 after shipping. I think about $250 seems like a reasonable discount for Black Friday.
---
Don't **** with Da Hui
2 years ago#20
Reading up on Nvidia and AMD....I'm not sure what to do. I always hear Nvidia over AMD, but it seems everyone says to buy AMD, what gives? Is it just because AMD has better performance-per-dollar at a mid-range price point? Nvidia seems like it has more features for games.

So confused..
---
Fan Film
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Buy now or wait? GPU Upgrade.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Message List Beta Test is now on. To disable the Beta, just click here, or you can read more about it, report an error, or provide general feedback.
  • Topic Archived