This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Cant get wifi pci card to work

#1silvergokuZPosted 11/7/2013 12:30:20 PM
I got a used card for next to nothing that works but it only had a low profile bracket on so tried one from a old broken wifi card and it is slightly different but fit but cannot fit the nut on because then I cant screw in aerial but noticed I get zero signal even though pc is about 5 feet from router but the drivers installed fine.

Did the nut act as a sort of ground?
---
The red car and the blue car had a race. Good old blue he took the milky way.
#2kill2thisPosted 11/7/2013 1:48:26 PM
No, the nuts purely for holding it in. Are you sure that 1. It actually works 2.You installed the correct drivers.
#3silvergokuZ(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2013 2:24:28 PM
Well the drivers were already in windows and no error code shows.

I doubt its the aerial though it was seperate from the card.
---
#4_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 11/7/2013 2:59:22 PM
What do you mean the drivers were already in windows? Windows recognized new hardware and automatically installed drivers?

That is not always enough. Go to the manufacturer's website and download the drivers that they list for the product. While you are at it, also update the BIOS of your motherboard.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#5silvergokuZ(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2013 3:29:08 PM
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
What do you mean the drivers were already in windows? Windows recognized new hardware and automatically installed drivers?

That is not always enough. Go to the manufacturer's website and download the drivers that they list for the product. While you are at it, also update the BIOS of your motherboard.

Yes I know its not always enough, I have a integrated disc with updated driver packs from trusted websites and the few that were missing I added manually and first thing I do when I get a new board is update the bios.

And yes Windows recognised the card and the brand so didnt see it as say a generic card.
---
#6KillerTrufflePosted 11/7/2013 3:36:53 PM
I would still download the latest driver straight from the manufacturer website and install it as my next step. Piecemeal driver installations like you're describing, where you "manually add missing pieces" have a tendency to not work very well.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#7_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 11/8/2013 7:43:47 AM(edited)
I do not see why you would not just install the driver from the website. At the very least, check whether they are the same version. Rightclick "my computer" then go to something that should be called something like "device management" (not sure, do not have an English OS). Go to network adapters, right-click the device and go to the drivers tab.

It would also help if you would tell us the brand and model, but you seem to insist to make this hard .

---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#8silvergokuZ(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2013 11:56:26 AM
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
I do not see why you would not just install the driver from the website. At the very least, check whether they are the same version. Rightclick "my computer" then go to something that should be called something like "device management" (not sure, do not have an English OS). Go to network adapters, right-click the device and go to the drivers tab.

It would also help if you would tell us the brand and model, but you seem to insist to make this hard .

To get the brand and model would mean going into bedroom and taking it out of pc so I am not making it hard as much as wanting advice and then if needed checking.

Thats also why I havent downloaded the one from website also as thought I would ask before I do so.

Will get the details by tommorow.
---
#9fataliPosted 11/10/2013 12:10:16 PM
Does your card come with the antenna? Sounds like that is what is missing.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#10gsf4lyfePosted 11/10/2013 12:23:49 PM
>asks for advice
>disregards it all
---
Currently playing: Borderlands 2
SteamID: gsf4lyfe