This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Microsoft admits it could have been more focused on PC gaming

#21Worknofun370Posted 11/7/2013 4:28:40 PM
Kosba_2142 posted...
Fenriswolf posted...
steveboblarry posted...
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-admits-it-could-have-been-more-focused-on-pc-gaming/1100-6416038/

They must be afraid of the steam empire and Rex Gaben

LMAO, Gaben isn't even 1/10th the man Bill Gates is.

yeah he's like infinitely times more a man than Bill Gates, given one is dead, and the other isn't.

Wait... do you think Bill Gates is dead?

And... who is Rex Gaben?
#22FenriswolfPosted 11/7/2013 4:50:08 PM
Linux has a c*** load of exclusives, clearly you've never ran a Linux distro before.

Oh you mean a bunch of crappy indie games? Desura already have that niche, and most of their users are militantly anti-DRM/Steam

Competition is good.

You mean EA which stopped releasing games on Steam and created their rival service? Or Blizzard whose games cannot even be bought outside the Blizzard store? You really think that they're going to Linux just because Newell said so?

Agreed, but Valve is developing a directx to openGL wrapper to make porting easy. Those big AAA companies focus on consoles anyways.

And most of the widely played PC games like Sims, LOL, WOW, Diablo, Asian MMOs etc are either not on Steam or doesn't require Steam to run. Just because you can run them on Linux doesn't mean gamers outside of Steam fanboys are going to Linux. Valve doesn't have the industry muscle compared to Apple or MS.

And OpenGL? LMAO it's only alive thanks to id Software and John Carmack, and game companies aren't going to bother segmenting their development.

Adobe is in the trouble right now too, Photoshop is almost their only product left.
Apple doesn't attract gamers or IT pros, two groups that have a lot of say in the leading systems.

Oh, so Adobe is going to die just because some products didn't sell well? Do you even know how businesses work?

And Apple attracted more attention from gaming companies than Linux ever did, and the Blizzard games run on Mac natively. Despite this most companies reply on Aspyr to port their games to Mac. Other digital distributors like GOG doesn't even have plans for Linux. Newell's sudden affinity for Linux comes from him being butthurt with Windows 8 marketplace giving him competition, rather than any solid long term vision.

They told us they were shutting down the authentication servers and ending the service entirely, bricking all the games that don't have it patched out. Do you have a source that says otherwise?

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/pc-games/pc-marketplace-closing

You can continue to enjoy previously purchased games and downloadable content in your catalog by downloading it through the Games for Windows Live client. Although the purchase functionality will be discontinued, the Games for Windows Live service will continue to operate as usual.

Considering that GFWL is tied to Xbox Live, there is not way of closing down GFWL entirely without shutting down XBL.
---
Hello
#23ForeverZero2Posted 11/7/2013 4:56:57 PM
Gaben is dead, i even made a topic about it :'D
#24lionheart5656Posted 11/7/2013 5:13:35 PM
ForeverZero2 posted...
Gaben is dead, i even made a topic about it :'D

But so are you. I saw you die in that same topic.

THIS FORUM IS HAUNTED.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#25JKatarnPosted 11/7/2013 6:30:45 PM
Fenriswolf posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
I guess MS is s***ing their pants now that Valve, who has the majority on digital distribution, is making their own console, and their own operating system, that is specifically designed to replace Windows as the gaming operating system of choice.
Add to that, MS's own failure of a digital distribution service and robbing customers of games they paid for when gfwl ends, the (suspected)failure of the xbone, the failure of Windows 8(PCH board not included), the failure of the Surface, the failure of Windows phones.
MS has two dedicated customer bases left. Businesses, and gamers.
Windows 8 lost businesses, Server 2012(or was it 2013) lost the server market badly. And now they stand to lose the gamers.

At the end of the day, their only remaining products might be the office products, probably ported to Linux.

LMAO I find it hilarious Steam fanboys like you are now declaring the death of Windows before Linux even had any exclusives. Steam only got where it is by being there first and becoming monopoly, and is facing its own threats from Origin and Uplay. Nobody is going to switch to to Linux overnight, especially considering that other PC publishers like Activision Blizzard and EA have no plans, and good luck getting software companies like Adobe onboard. If Apple with all their cult following can't displace Windows, you think Valve can LMAO?

And FYI GFWL is not shutting down, only the marketplace is, and all games brought from there can still be downloaded. It's funny you attack MS for its perceived failures, yet ignore Valve's crappy business dealings. How did their plans to "eliminate lag" went again?

The irony of this statement coming from a pro-Windows zealot is delicious.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#26steveboblarry(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 8:33:43 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
Kosba_2142 posted...
Fenriswolf posted...
steveboblarry posted...
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-admits-it-could-have-been-more-focused-on-pc-gaming/1100-6416038/

They must be afraid of the steam empire and Rex Gaben

LMAO, Gaben isn't even 1/10th the man Bill Gates is.

yeah he's like infinitely times more a man than Bill Gates, given one is dead, and the other isn't.

Wait... do you think Bill Gates is dead?

And... who is Rex Gaben?

King Gaben
---
What Miley Cyrus did was not twerking, it was windshield wiping
#27KabtheMentatPosted 11/8/2013 9:20:25 AM
Hi C posted...
Wonder if we will live to see the day Apple, Microsoft, or Google try to field their own military and become their own government like in Syndicate?

What is a government but a business in control of a legion of armed mercenaries?

I won't lie. That actually sounds kinda cool.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#28PraetorXynPosted 11/8/2013 10:26:43 AM
JKatarn posted...
Fenriswolf posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
I guess MS is s***ing their pants now that Valve, who has the majority on digital distribution, is making their own console, and their own operating system, that is specifically designed to replace Windows as the gaming operating system of choice.
Add to that, MS's own failure of a digital distribution service and robbing customers of games they paid for when gfwl ends, the (suspected)failure of the xbone, the failure of Windows 8(PCH board not included), the failure of the Surface, the failure of Windows phones.
MS has two dedicated customer bases left. Businesses, and gamers.
Windows 8 lost businesses, Server 2012(or was it 2013) lost the server market badly. And now they stand to lose the gamers.

At the end of the day, their only remaining products might be the office products, probably ported to Linux.

LMAO I find it hilarious Steam fanboys like you are now declaring the death of Windows before Linux even had any exclusives. Steam only got where it is by being there first and becoming monopoly, and is facing its own threats from Origin and Uplay. Nobody is going to switch to to Linux overnight, especially considering that other PC publishers like Activision Blizzard and EA have no plans, and good luck getting software companies like Adobe onboard. If Apple with all their cult following can't displace Windows, you think Valve can LMAO?

And FYI GFWL is not shutting down, only the marketplace is, and all games brought from there can still be downloaded. It's funny you attack MS for its perceived failures, yet ignore Valve's crappy business dealings. How did their plans to "eliminate lag" went again?

The irony of this statement coming from a pro-Windows zealot is delicious.

---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#29ArkonBladePosted 11/8/2013 11:02:04 AM
I don't see a chance of steam ever being taken down at this point MS has screwed up way to much. Unless valve gets all full of them selves and starts doing stupid stuff in the future. So for now I see Steam being the number one market place for gaming for a long time as long as Valve keeps doing what they are doing.

I have heard MS is going to try and take another stab at PC gaming again but I don't think they have a shot in hell at doing much of any thing. Charging for playing online for PC gaming ...GTFO!
---
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#30steveboblarry(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 11:04:37 AM
ArkonBlade posted...
I don't see a chance of steam ever being taken down at this point MS has screwed up way to much. Unless valve gets all full of them selves and starts doing stupid stuff in the future. So for now I see Steam being the number one market place for gaming for a long time as long as Valve keeps doing what they are doing.

I have heard MS is going to try and take another stab at PC gaming again but I don't think they have a shot in hell at doing much of any thing. Charging for playing online for PC gaming ...GTFO!

They need to port Ryse and Dead Rising 3 to pc, then my faith in microsoft will be restored
---
What Miley Cyrus did was not twerking, it was windshield wiping