This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Portable Apps Help

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Portable Apps Help
2 years ago#1
So at my office I'm able to install Firefox onto my computer, but unable to install flash (along with other extensions and plug-ins). I've known about portable apps that can placed onto a USB flash drive but have never needed to do so before, until now. I wanted to know is it possible to get the portable version of Firefox (or another browser) to have extensions/plug-ins installed on it for use wherever i go with? And if so how would I be able to do that (assuming it isn't the same way as you do regularly with a browser on your computer).
---
I take off the blazer, loosen up the tie, step inside the booth, Superman is alive Jay-Z PSN: SupermanSGS
2 years ago#2
xxSupermanSGSxx posted...
So at my office I'm able to install Firefox onto my computer, but unable to install flash (along with other extensions and plug-ins). I've known about portable apps that can placed onto a USB flash drive but have never needed to do so before, until now. I wanted to know is it possible to get the portable version of Firefox (or another browser) to have extensions/plug-ins installed on it for use wherever i go with? And if so how would I be able to do that (assuming it isn't the same way as you do regularly with a browser on your computer).

Yes you can, I have portable Firefox with all plugins and remembering passwords so when I go to a friends house, I just plug it in and can brows the net without messing there Firefox settings or plug-ins that they have setup for them.

Example - Firefox:

Go here:
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

After putting Firefox on a USB flash drive, if you want your portable version to be the same as your installed version n your PC, look under the 'Copying Your Local Firefox Settings' instructions. You will then have a portable Firefox that is the same as your installed, but separate.

I find it best to make sure your Firefox on your PC has flash/shockwave working and just copy local content to the portable version, or just follow the '..Installing Plugins (Java, Flash, Shockwave, etc.)..' instructions, either will work*

You can do this for just about any portable program, just make sure the host/PC that your using isn't running that program also and your good to go.

Example:
Only one instance of Firefox can run at a time, so can't have the portable Firefox running and the host/PC that your using also have Firefox running (luckily , Firefox tells you this if you try to run it and it detects it's already running) so have fun!

Hope this info helped some, enjoy!
---
Naked Courier (Skyrim): I've been looking for you. Got something I'm supposed to deliver. Your hands only...
2 years ago#3
I didn't even expect a solid answer like this so quickly. You don't even know how much you've helped me out. I know everyone can relate when I say how fed up you can be when you have to use IE.
---
I take off the blazer, loosen up the tie, step inside the booth, Superman is alive Jay-Z PSN: SupermanSGS
2 years ago#4
yes there is a way to get adobe flash portable but i can't say how because of the Terms of Use, so you gotta rely on yourself for that one
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Portable Apps Help

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived