This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Portable Apps Help

#1xxSupermanSGSxxPosted 11/7/2013 3:45:02 PM
So at my office I'm able to install Firefox onto my computer, but unable to install flash (along with other extensions and plug-ins). I've known about portable apps that can placed onto a USB flash drive but have never needed to do so before, until now. I wanted to know is it possible to get the portable version of Firefox (or another browser) to have extensions/plug-ins installed on it for use wherever i go with? And if so how would I be able to do that (assuming it isn't the same way as you do regularly with a browser on your computer).
---
I take off the blazer, loosen up the tie, step inside the booth, Superman is alive Jay-Z PSN: SupermanSGS
#2Metroid_LoverPosted 11/7/2013 4:04:52 PM(edited)
xxSupermanSGSxx posted...
So at my office I'm able to install Firefox onto my computer, but unable to install flash (along with other extensions and plug-ins). I've known about portable apps that can placed onto a USB flash drive but have never needed to do so before, until now. I wanted to know is it possible to get the portable version of Firefox (or another browser) to have extensions/plug-ins installed on it for use wherever i go with? And if so how would I be able to do that (assuming it isn't the same way as you do regularly with a browser on your computer).

Yes you can, I have portable Firefox with all plugins and remembering passwords so when I go to a friends house, I just plug it in and can brows the net without messing there Firefox settings or plug-ins that they have setup for them.

Example - Firefox:

Go here:
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

After putting Firefox on a USB flash drive, if you want your portable version to be the same as your installed version n your PC, look under the 'Copying Your Local Firefox Settings' instructions. You will then have a portable Firefox that is the same as your installed, but separate.

I find it best to make sure your Firefox on your PC has flash/shockwave working and just copy local content to the portable version, or just follow the '..Installing Plugins (Java, Flash, Shockwave, etc.)..' instructions, either will work*

You can do this for just about any portable program, just make sure the host/PC that your using isn't running that program also and your good to go.

Example:
Only one instance of Firefox can run at a time, so can't have the portable Firefox running and the host/PC that your using also have Firefox running (luckily , Firefox tells you this if you try to run it and it detects it's already running) so have fun!

Hope this info helped some, enjoy!
---
Naked Courier (Skyrim): I've been looking for you. Got something I'm supposed to deliver. Your hands only...
#3xxSupermanSGSxx(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2013 4:08:42 PM
I didn't even expect a solid answer like this so quickly. You don't even know how much you've helped me out. I know everyone can relate when I say how fed up you can be when you have to use IE.
---
I take off the blazer, loosen up the tie, step inside the booth, Superman is alive Jay-Z PSN: SupermanSGS
#4ForeverZero2Posted 11/7/2013 4:08:52 PM
yes there is a way to get adobe flash portable but i can't say how because of the Terms of Use, so you gotta rely on yourself for that one