This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Next gen all of a sudden seems depressing as a PC gamer.

#1triple sPosted 11/7/2013 4:29:56 PM
Granted, I had to hold off on getting either new console due to some financial issues.(in which, crazy enough I'm getting about $600 that I wasn't expecting right between the launch of both consoles....after I canceled both preorders) This is my first time going into a new generation as a PC gamer and one that can outdo next gen at that. Therefore games like Killzone and Forza 5 simply aren't dropping my jaw like they would be if I had not been a PC gamer. What's funny is that now that I will have the money to get one(provided I can find one), I'd rather upgrade my graphics card to prepare for getting a 1440p monitor early next year, lol. Killer Instinct is currently the only announced launch window next gen game I feel I'm going to feel like I'm missing out on. Any one else feel the same way?
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
#2BogePosted 11/7/2013 4:33:33 PM
Yeah. I'm actually quite disappointed. The one thing I was actually hoping for, and expecting from this next gen of consoles, was a consistent 1080p@60fps. That should be the standard, no excuses. But we're already seeing games coming out at 720p and/or 30fps. It makes me wonder what the heck is in the new consoles and what we're actually paying for. It's pretty damn pathetic seeing as how I've been gaming at better than that for like 10-15 years now.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#3noimnoturdaddyPosted 11/7/2013 4:45:19 PM(edited)
Boge posted...
Yeah. I'm actually quite disappointed. The one thing I was actually hoping for, and expecting from this next gen of consoles, was a consistent 1080p@60fps. That should be the standard, no excuses. But we're already seeing games coming out at 720p and/or 30fps. It makes me wonder what the heck is in the new consoles and what we're actually paying for. It's pretty damn pathetic seeing as how I've been gaming at better than that for like 10-15 years now.

They can probably do better but are going to gradually upgrade over the course of the next-gen life. If they give people bits and pieces over time, they think they're gradually making improvements with coding for each platform, and slowly uncovering what each system is capable of. If they pushed the hardware to its limit with launch titles, people would get bored of most games within a year or so.

I was watching some BF4 multiplayer gameplay on the PS4 and saw texture pop-in and micro-stutter. All the people that are going to be rushing out to buy these things (or worse, spending $800+ to take someone else's pre-order) are idiots. PC has been doing what next-gen launch titles look to be able to offer, for at least two years now. All people are buying with consoles are more restrictions due to licensing, and missing out on Steam sales.

But, you know, if I was head of an industry that could rip people off for millions and millions of dollars because most of them were too lazy to spend 60 minutes researching how to build a long-lasting gaming PC that'd outperform the consoles, last longer, give them more options, and be easier to run personal maintenance on at just double the price (ignoring failure rates of home consoles and time spent with shipping/buying new consoles because *can't wait need now*), I'd be ripping them off, too.

tl;dr We probably won't be seeing the *true* potential of next-gen titles for 4 - 5 years, because business is business and most consumers are idiots in a rush.
---
http://postimage.org/image/5h4szslj9/
Man, you are think. - KrazyDago101's attempt to insult me
#4ThePCElitistPosted 11/7/2013 4:48:28 PM
Boge posted...

When you have people who defend this and say things like "1080p doesn't matter!", "Graphics don't matter!", "You can't see 60 fps anyway!", "I'd rather have 30 fps to keep the games cinematic feeling!", then you only have console gamers themselves to blame. Their ignorance is the reason why they have no standards on their next-gen console hardware.
---
When I'm Miqo'te
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3LGf9SSWrU
#5BogePosted 11/7/2013 4:51:47 PM(edited)
I guess. The sheeple will buy the systems regardless, so you're probably right. If it were my system, I'd want to come out with a bang to really show what it's capable of.

In time though, I expect textures to improve, but I'll bet they'll still linger in the 720p and/or 30fps zone.

Ignorance is bliss. It's why I don't want a 120hz or higher screen. I don't want to get used to the more fluid motion. I can't image what it would be like going from 120 down to 30fps when I played a console game. Hell, maybe I should start playing my PC games at 720p and 30fps just so my eyes don't hurt so much when I play a console.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#6triple s(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2013 4:51:26 PM
I guess this gen is going to be a little different for me. I still plan to own both the Xbox One and PS4 but all of a sudden I'm looking more forward to getting a good 1440p monitor and having capable hardware to utilize it. I'd put the Xbox One on hold indefinitely if all their exclusives started coming to Window's again after Microsoft's recent announcement.
---
#7triple s(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2013 4:57:44 PM(edited)
Boge posted...
I guess. The sheeple will buy the systems regardless, so you're probably right. If it were my system, I'd want to come out with a bang to really show what it's capable of.

In time though, I expect textures to improve, but I'll bet they'll still linger in the 720p and/or 30fps zone.

Ignorance is bliss. It's why I don't want a 120hz or higher screen. I don't want to get used to the more fluid motion. I can't image what it would be like going from 120 down to 30fps when I played a console game. Hell, maybe I should start playing my PC games at 720p and 30fps just so my eyes don't hurt so much when I play a console.

Kind of the reason why I didn't want to see how games looked on a 1440p monitor, I was happy with how they looked in 1080p. Just knowing that a 1440p has about twice as many pixels, I'm ready to be exposed. For the record, it took me a good two days to get used to how GTAV looked and ran. The game just seemed blurry, jaggy and ran sub-30fps most of the time. However, I was able to get used to it and enjoyed it at the end. Pretty much same thing happened with Halo 4 for me.
---
#8noimnoturdaddyPosted 11/7/2013 4:56:46 PM
Boge posted...

Yeah. Most people don't get the 30fps vs. 60fps thing - there's even a decent chunk of PC gamers that don't understand it. People want to see improvements, which means visual upgrades > visual consistency.

PC gaming *is* where the more informed gamers go, because with the right developers, we can get get bleeding-edge graphics and steady 60+fps. But it depends on the developers, and with all the major ones who jumped ship from PC-centric to console-centric last gen. Well. That's what I'm hoping SteamBox can change. That, to me, is all about letting the console-gamer know how much better gaming PCs are, how much better the Steam platform is than the big 3 console providers, and hoping to get some power back in the hands of the consumer in this industry. If it doesn't, PC gaming will remain a slowly sinking ship, and all the potential will amount to nothing.

Time will tell.
---
#9JonWood007Posted 11/7/2013 5:00:05 PM(edited)
This whole next gen thing is quite frankly getting on my nerves.

It's been no secret in recent years that the market has moved to a "console first, PC second" type thing, and I really feel like we PC gamers are getting the short end of the stick with a lot of stuff.

You're right, next gen really isn't that impressive to me. Rather, I see it as "oh look, console has caught up to PC for a little while, isn't that cute?"

But look at what they're doing to market the next gen consoles...I feel like they're screwing us in general. Look at COD ghosts for instance. From what i've seen, the game doesn't look much better than BO2, but look at the requirements...it's insanely demanding for literally no reason, and has been grossly inflated in order to pass it off as "next gen" and stuff like that. Look beyond that to the likes of watch dogs we well...making the desktop in my sig more or less the minimum requirements. Honestly, will the visuals really justify that kind of performance requirement, or will that turn into another ghosts?

I have no problem with tech advancing. I have no problem with the idea that if my system becomes outdated, it becomes outdated. Times change, games get better, but quite frankly, I'm not seeing adequate justification for the requirements being passed around for next gen. Look at games like Witcher 2, Battlefield 3, heck, even Battlefield 4. Look at skyrim with mods, the Crysis series, Metro series, etc. Then look at what we're getting with COD Ghosts and Watch Dogs. COD GHosts is a MASSIVE disappointment technologically and by rights shouldn't require 1/3 of what it does to run. Watch Dogs at least looks impressive, but will it justify the high performance costs compared to the games I mentioned above? We'll have to see, but I think not.

In short, I think that next gen will for a while bring even more grossly unoptimized console ports. Heck, we might even see artificial inflating of the requirements a la COD ghosts in order to market games as being more technologically impressive than they really are. "Next Gen" for us, is nothing new. It's similar, or perhaps slightly better, than current PC games. But when I look at the requirements I can't help to feel like the devs are screwing us. I mean, come on, THE GAMES DON'T EVEN LOOK THAT GOOD compared to current high end PC titles. There's no reason to require next gen console level hardware just to RUN next gen titles when the consoles are supposedly gonna be pushing high/max at 720p.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#10noimnoturdaddyPosted 11/7/2013 5:03:06 PM
JonWood007 posted...
It's been no secret in recent years that the market has moved to a "console first, PC second" type thing, and I really feel like we PC gamers are getting the short end of the stick with a lot of stuff.

We are, because our systems have more potential, we *know* they do, and as such, we're harder to *please*. More time invested developing for us = less profits. The same reason the scope of Bioware's games gradually became smaller and smaller = they were spending more time and resources than most developers in the industry, but in the end, they had to charge the same standard fee, and even if they sold millions, they likely weren't making as much as companies who were doing less, but had better marketing.

It's hard to go backwards in tech, though. I'm almost getting to that point, of giving up on PC gaming so I can just go with the flow and keep myself in the dark. Hard to get used to, but over time, it can be done. Like getting used to threesomes at *least* once a month, and then settling into married life where there's far more nagging than sex, and even that gradually gets worse. The only way to survive that drop is to do your best to ignore of all the good stuff you used to have, and how even though it could *maybe* happen again, it likely never will. So best just to try and live in the dark, like all the people who never got to know better.
---