This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Next gen all of a sudden seems depressing as a PC gamer.

#41Treason686Posted 11/7/2013 11:53:25 PM
noimnoturdaddy posted...
Boge posted...
Yeah. I'm actually quite disappointed. The one thing I was actually hoping for, and expecting from this next gen of consoles, was a consistent 1080p@60fps. That should be the standard, no excuses. But we're already seeing games coming out at 720p and/or 30fps. It makes me wonder what the heck is in the new consoles and what we're actually paying for. It's pretty damn pathetic seeing as how I've been gaming at better than that for like 10-15 years now.

They can probably do better but are going to gradually upgrade over the course of the next-gen life. If they give people bits and pieces over time, they think they're gradually making improvements with coding for each platform, and slowly uncovering what each system is capable of. If they pushed the hardware to its limit with launch titles, people would get bored of most games within a year or so.

This is not true. With new hardware comes new tools to learn, and a developer must learn to use those tools effectively, which takes time.

As the consoles mature, developers will become more proficient with the tools available, and the tools themselves will improve. There will be new programming technology created, and more efficient ways of doing things.

Instant gratification is how business works. Do you honestly believe that a company like Dice wouldn't want to blow Activision out of the water graphically? The idea is absurd: It would involve collusion between competitors across an entire industry and cooperation between Microsoft and Sony.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#42SlaynPosted 11/8/2013 4:14:05 AM
1440p was the best graphical decision I made in a long time.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#43sonicteam2k1Posted 11/8/2013 4:54:24 AM
triple s posted...
Granted, I had to hold off on getting either new console due to some financial issues.(in which, crazy enough I'm getting about $600 that I wasn't expecting right between the launch of both consoles....after I canceled both preorders) This is my first time going into a new generation as a PC gamer and one that can outdo next gen at that. Therefore games like Killzone and Forza 5 simply aren't dropping my jaw like they would be if I had not been a PC gamer. What's funny is that now that I will have the money to get one(provided I can find one), I'd rather upgrade my graphics card to prepare for getting a 1440p monitor early next year, lol. Killer Instinct is currently the only announced launch window next gen game I feel I'm going to feel like I'm missing out on. Any one else feel the same way?

exactly. Realized this months ago and canceled my next gen console pre order. I'll pick one up within 6 months maybe.
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#44Pepys MonsterPosted 11/8/2013 5:03:10 AM
triple s posted...
I'd rather upgrade my graphics card to prepare for getting a 1440p monitor early next year, lol.

Why would you purchase an inferior peasant 1440p monitor instead of joining the 1600p master race?
---
AMD A10 5757M @ 2.5GHz | 8750M 2GB | Samsung Evo 1TB SSD | 8GB DDR3-1600 | Windows 8
#45noimnoturdaddyPosted 11/8/2013 11:28:47 AM
KabtheMentat posted...
Despite being a real time action game, I don't think Dark Souls would benefit from being above 30FPS.

What are you talking about? I played it on PC with the hack that let you play at true-1920x1080 resolution and 60fps. The 60fps created some visual glitches here and there, but overall, it actually made the game easier, because everything felt more fluid and I felt like I had more control.

24 - 30 FPS is fine for fully-2D games (not pseudo-3D) because there are fewer animation frames to worry about, but any 3D games these days should be running at 60fps almost *all* of the time.
---
http://postimage.org/image/5h4szslj9/
Man, you are think. - KrazyDago101's attempt to insult me
#46noimnoturdaddyPosted 11/8/2013 11:40:43 AM(edited)
Treason686 posted...
This is not true. With new hardware comes new tools to learn, and a developer must learn to use those tools effectively, which takes time.

As the consoles mature, developers will become more proficient with the tools available, and the tools themselves will improve. There will be new programming technology created, and more efficient ways of doing things.

Instant gratification is how business works. Do you honestly believe that a company like Dice wouldn't want to blow Activision out of the water graphically? The idea is absurd: It would involve collusion between competitors across an entire industry and cooperation between Microsoft and Sony.

Planned-delay is a staple of surviving in the tech industry. It doesn't require cooperation between all parties, it's the basic understanding that, if you put your best foot forward now, what can you do one year down the road that'll impress people? PC games can push PC hardware because that's what PC gamers do. They keep wanting to see the best they can do, and a lot upgrade relatively frequently so they can continue to receive that gratification. If I bought a PS4, and I saw the best that games would ever look within the first year of release, I'd get bored of that gen pretty quick, and go looking elsewhere for payoff.

PCs are already capable of doing more than next-gen consoles are. Yes, there is, to a degree, learning how to design for next-gen hardware, but the larger factor is longevity. Selling people a great idea once, is not as good as selling them a decent idea, that gets slightly better and can be resold, that gets slightly better and can be resold, that gets slightly better and can be resold. This is especially effective when the target audience is not as educated on industry trends and thus, easier to please (average console gamer vs. average PC gamer).

Instant gratification? Yes, but not so much that you hit the ceiling and have people wondering what else you can do, when you've already done everything you're capable of.
---
http://postimage.org/image/5h4szslj9/
Man, you are think. - KrazyDago101's attempt to insult me
#47Treason686Posted 11/8/2013 5:29:26 PM
noimnoturdaddy posted...
Treason686 posted...

Planned-delay is a staple of surviving in the tech industry. It doesn't require cooperation between all parties, it's the basic understanding that, if you put your best foot forward now, what can you do one year down the road that'll impress people? PC games can push PC hardware because that's what PC gamers do. They keep wanting to see the best they can do, and a lot upgrade relatively frequently so they can continue to receive that gratification. If I bought a PS4, and I saw the best that games would ever look within the first year of release, I'd get bored of that gen pretty quick, and go looking elsewhere for payoff.

PCs are already capable of doing more than next-gen consoles are. Yes, there is, to a degree, learning how to design for next-gen hardware, but the larger factor is longevity. Selling people a great idea once, is not as good as selling them a decent idea, that gets slightly better and can be resold, that gets slightly better and can be resold, that gets slightly better and can be resold. This is especially effective when the target audience is not as educated on industry trends and thus, easier to please (average console gamer vs. average PC gamer).

Instant gratification? Yes, but not so much that you hit the ceiling and have people wondering what else you can do, when you've already done everything you're capable of.

Source please.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h