This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is 70c - 75c a good temp range for an overclocked i5 3570k to 4.4ghz under load?

#1bsballa09Posted 11/7/2013 7:14:54 PM(edited)
This is with a push-pull config Hyper Evo 212 and 5 case fans. This is the first time I've overclocked something, so I want to make sure it's normal. This was stress tested with OCCT.
---
Assad is a doctor. It's insulting to suggest any doctor would actively order chemical weapons be employed onto civilians. - jabini
#2fuzzymanPosted 11/7/2013 7:27:58 PM
I think 7zip is a better stress test, but it's a little less realistic than even a 64 player battlefield match or folding. the temps will get very high

you probably already have 7zip installed, as it is a very fast and popular compression dilly

just look under the tools tab for the benchmark, and watch those temps! also good for stability test, to make sure you have correct voltage
---
http://i.imgur.com/hOjV6w3.jpg
#3ShebeskiiPosted 11/7/2013 7:50:05 PM
Make sure you have turbo on and you've increased your wattage limit or you'll hit your TDP limit and have your clocks bounce up and down.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#4Giblet_EnjoyerPosted 11/7/2013 7:54:42 PM
Shebeskii posted...
Make sure you have turbo on and you've increased your wattage limit or you'll hit your TDP limit and have your clocks bounce up and down.

Huh, I didn't know you could do something about that. I had that problem with Intel Burn Test when I had my CPU at 4.5 GHz.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/katanaman444
Pccouchcoop.com http://www.co-optimus.com/system/4/pc.html
#5ShebeskiiPosted 11/7/2013 8:01:20 PM
Giblet_Enjoyer posted...
Shebeskii posted...

Huh, I didn't know you could do something about that. I had that problem with Intel Burn Test when I had my CPU at 4.5 GHz.

Turn on turbo, set your turbo core speeds to your target OC and change the wattage and amperage to like 1.8 times their initial value.

Many people don't do this and have crappy overclocks. Temps will go up, so dial back the voltage a bit.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#6KainstryderPosted 11/7/2013 8:28:45 PM
70 - 75c = your burning your cpu. Anything under 60 C is considered safe, 60 - 70c continue with caution.
#7DmanTeePosted 11/7/2013 8:34:46 PM
Kainstryder posted...
70 - 75c = your burning your cpu. Anything under 60 C is considered safe, 60 - 70c continue with caution.

The 3570k can safely operate at 80-90 degrees under load. What are you talking about?
---
If you have accepted Santa Christ as your lord and saviour, and are 100% proud of it, put this as your sig.
#8ShebeskiiPosted 11/7/2013 9:16:05 PM(edited)
Kainstryder posted...

That's not true. That was true for Phenom II processors, but AMD processors are totally different. Intel processors have a very high temperature threshold.
---
#9PhilOnDezPosted 11/7/2013 9:22:37 PM
That sounds pretty good to me. My cooler has similar performance to a 212 evo but it doesn't have a spot for a second fan, nor does it have much breathing room. My case is pretty cramped and my cooler is 'low' profile, meaning it's just not full height. With the same overclock (4.4, not sure about your voltage) I hit 90, but my CPU is pretty mediocre. With your temps I'd push it further unless you were shooting for a specific goal. My goal was 60 fps in my main FTB world and 4.3 had dips into the 50s fairly often, 4.4 was what I needed.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#10Dark_SpiretPosted 11/7/2013 9:31:19 PM
its fine. as long as it doesnt get into the 90c range 70-80 is perfectly safe. actually 100c isnt going to kill your cpu, you just dont want to have it running at that speed for lengthy amounts of time otherwise things will start to melt.
---
Currently playing: Batman: Arkham Origins - Splinter Cell Blacklist - Resident Evil: Code Veronica X