This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think SteamOS is good or bad for the future of PC gaming?

#31ArkonBladePosted 11/8/2013 2:19:02 AM
Who knows at this point. problem will be will there be enough support for it. Also what about older games? I mean sure you could duel boot but then whats the point of even having steam OS then. If they can get pretty much every game to run on steam OS then yeah could have a future.
---
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#32ClouddxPosted 11/8/2013 2:41:26 AM(edited)
The great thing about SteamOS is that it's free... This means everyone with a computer can use it, unlike windows and OSX.

---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11
#33xanthan1Posted 11/8/2013 8:13:39 AM
Pretty sure even IF Steam OS was a success the only way it would be bad is if Microsoft throws a *****fit and makes their games require whatever the newest version of Windows is.

You know, because it would encourage devs to use OpenGL instead of DirectX so the game could work on multiple OSes. A lot of this thread sounds like pessimistic fools who think that a new OS will somehow fracture a market that already has a way to handle it.
#34DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/8/2013 8:19:49 AM
lionheart5656 posted...
His point, since you aren't able to see it, is that having two OS will cause games to be developed for one or the other as you mentioned.

This will happen because Microsoft will inevitably see Steam OS as a threat and will do the only thing Microsoft knows how to do, money hat games for their OS inevitably leading to OS exclusives.

Valve is much less likely to do this but it is almost a certainty that Microsoft will. They haven't had a reason to before because Macs were no threat on the gaming side but Steam OS has a good possibility to be a threat.

Without people buy Windows for gaming, they will be left with businesses as their main and perhaps only customers. They are already losing lots of ground to Apple on the casual computer user side. All that it really has left on its OS is gamers and businesses.

They will fight to keep their share and they will probably fight dirty.

Microsoft already does that, though, just between Windows versions.
The market needs a shift to Linux, and SteamOS is exactly that.
---
Even people have toenails. Of course PCs have toenails. -claytonbuckley
#35LiquidDeePosted 11/8/2013 8:24:31 AM
There isn't gonna be any SteamOS exclusives so no reason to worry.

Every game will be playable on windows,more companies will port to SteamOS(Linux),you can dual-boot and it's possible to stream windows games on your TV using a SteamMachine.
#36SinisterSlayPosted 11/8/2013 8:37:06 AM
Windows 10 will be a cloud OS.

So forget backwards compatibility anyways.

Linux, and SteamOS are probably our only hope.

I rather like the idea of Linux for gaming. It can be made to "just work" but if your an enthusiast, you can start making your own kernels to get a few more frames per second if you want to.

Also, a big one, Linux doesn't really need an anti-virus (yet).
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#37The cranky hermitPosted 11/11/2013 10:00:36 PM
The video game market. Console hardware is a market. Console software is another.

And operating systems are also a market. I still don't see what your point here is.

If SteamOS succeeds in making Linux a viable gaming platform, Windows can be phased out for more than legacy support.

One, SteamOS needs to do more than just make Linux viable before we can start to talk about phasing out Windows. You need to get ALL of the devs to support SteamOS. Anything less than that, and you now have two standards instead of one.
Two, even if you do that, old games won't work on Windows.
I pointed out both of these things already. Are you even listening?

The entire Windows 8 app ecosystem is exactly that. No one likes the direction that's headed in.

Developers can make Windows 8 compatible games WITHOUT USING THE METRO SYSTEM. Was I unclear about this in the previous post?

Pretty sure windows is killing about 30% of my hardware power

Define "hardware power." If you're talking about processing power, try checking your task manager. You'll see that idle is generally at 99%, meaning Windows couldn't be killing more than 1%.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#38DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/11/2013 10:07:10 PM
The cranky hermit posted...
The video game market. Console hardware is a market. Console software is another.

And operating systems are also a market. I still don't see what your point here is.

If SteamOS succeeds in making Linux a viable gaming platform, Windows can be phased out for more than legacy support.

One, SteamOS needs to do more than just make Linux viable before we can start to talk about phasing out Windows. You need to get ALL of the devs to support SteamOS. Anything less than that, and you now have two standards instead of one.
Two, even if you do that, old games won't work on Windows.
I pointed out both of these things already. Are you even listening?

The entire Windows 8 app ecosystem is exactly that. No one likes the direction that's headed in.

Developers can make Windows 8 compatible games WITHOUT USING THE METRO SYSTEM. Was I unclear about this in the previous post?

Every platform in existence is "fracturing the market".

outside of legacy support

Are you even listening?
Sometimes, for a better future, you need to cut off the broken mess that is the past. Besides, you can dual-boot windows for legacy software.
Also, there are developers that don't support windows. I don't see the world ending.

And Microsoft is buying timed exclusivity for Windows 8 "exclusive" games. You think they'll stop at that?
---
Even people have toenails. Of course PCs have toenails. -claytonbuckley
#39AllmatteredPosted 11/11/2013 10:27:30 PM
KingDFizzle posted...
More competition is always better.

So why hate on Origin and Uplay again?
#40The cranky hermitPosted 11/12/2013 4:10:18 PM
Every platform in existence is "fracturing the market".

And I agree completely. SteamOS would fracture it more simply by being yet another platform. It would also fracture it in ways that no other platform can, since PC is currently the only platform for certain niches.

DarkZV2Beta posted...

outside of legacy support

Are you even listening?

Actually, your quote was "Windows can be phased out for more than legacy support." If that was *supposed* to mean "Windows can be phased out, outside of legacy support," then fine, but you can't fault me for not figuring out that's what you actually meant.

Over 30 years worth of games is damn important. It's not "legacy support." Legacy support means supporting obsolete versions of productivity software or hardware because your company is too cheap to upgrade. Games are part of our history and culture. They are NEVER obsolete. Being able to play the entire history of any franchise or even genre you have interest in is a strength of PC gaming. Devaluing that is just as ridiculous to me as making a new TV that can only watch 3D movies, and rationalizing its inability to view Citizen Kane and such by calling them "legacy support" (as in the TV doesn't have it) and insisting you get a secondary tube TV for those.

Also, there are developers that don't support windows.

This is bad for PC gaming too

And Microsoft is buying timed exclusivity for Windows 8 "exclusive" games..

So what? This in itself doesn't seem like a big problem. If you wish to argue this is a slippery slope, then the burden is on you to prove it.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!