This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

To those who have windows 8

#1yhmusicPosted 11/8/2013 8:05:28 AM
Have you came across alot/any compatibility issues? I do audio work and I really hope my VST's (Virtual Instruments) still work on windows 8. Especially since some of them are older and wont be updated. Also, theres some older indie games I have that I don't want to lose.

Is window8 decent or should i just stay on 7?
---
i produce/sing/write-
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL79C8AA8CD62A06C4
#2lost_withinPosted 11/8/2013 8:12:33 AM
Windows 8 is fine once you get use to the nuances, for sure upgrade to 8.1, also, if it worked on Windows 7 then it will most likely work on Windows 8.
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#3steveboblarryPosted 11/8/2013 8:14:17 AM
yhmusic posted...
Have you came across alot/any compatibility issues? I do audio work and I really hope my VST's (Virtual Instruments) still work on windows 8. Especially since some of them are older and wont be updated. Also, theres some older indie games I have that I don't want to lose.

Is window8 decent or should i just stay on 7?

If you have windows 7 then there is no need to upgrade
---
What Miley Cyrus did was not twerking, it was windshield wiping
#4SinisterSlayPosted 11/8/2013 8:30:15 AM(edited)
I've seen old games that use to just move the cursor to the right side bring up the charms menu and it start flickering that part of the screen.

Also, Windows 8 seems to refuse to allow .net 1, .net 1.1, or .net 2 to be installed, but I think .net 3 is backwards compatible so it probably doesn't matter.

I've had some issues installing SQL connectivity, it seems to randomly fail. I've re-ghosted the same machine 4 times and had the install work twice.

I've also noticed, like Vista and 7, 8 doesn't like you using a separate sound card to record and another for playback. But it still works if the program supports choosing your audio device. So you can say, set your primary to one card and have games and everything use that, but set your video player to use the other. XP allowed both cards to run at the same time and to duplicate the processing.

I've also seen both charms bars pop up occasionally in older RTS games like Populous the beginning, when you go to scroll the screen, the charms appear. I think there is a compatibility mode for that though.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#5xcmon3yx2Posted 11/8/2013 8:17:57 AM
several

.updates take forever, and are very frequent "every time i restart"

.Windows 8 hates hardware changes, changed out my GPU and it prompted the repair tool and deactivated windows

.for some reason windows 8 splits the mbr between my ssd and storage wd blue, makes no sense

.netframework 2.5/3.5 is not enabled by default, which also makes no sense as allot of programs depend on it

.you are always connected to ms servers when using windows 8 so they can send data to the NSA and spy on you

.built in backdoors for the NSA
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/xcmon3yx777,(3DS FC: 5257-9927-9011), (Steam: xcmon3yx2), (XBL: HakudoshiV77360), (WoW: xcmon3yx2#1204)
#6steveboblarryPosted 11/8/2013 8:19:15 AM
xcmon3yx2 posted...
several

.updates take forever, and are very frequent "every time i restart"

.Windows 8 hates hardware changes, changed out my GPU and it prompted the repair tool and deactivated windows

.for some reason windows 8 splits the mbr between my ssd and storage wd blue, makes no sense

.netframework 2.5/3.5 is not enabled by default, which also makes no sense as allot of programs depend on it

.you are always connected to ms servers when using windows 8 so they can send data to the NSA and spy on you

.built in backdoors for the NSA

All windows have built in back doors
---
What Miley Cyrus did was not twerking, it was windshield wiping