This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC Building Commission

#1Dren_Snow22Posted 11/8/2013 9:26:40 AM
Hoping to get some insight on how much I should charge for building a PC for a friend.

A friend wanted a PC for her son. I figured out what exactly he would be doing with it and built a machine that catered to his needs. The parts cost me about $630. Of course I asked my friend for the money to cover the parts but she is insisting on paying me for building the machine as well. Kinda a labor charge. I told her $50 was fine but she says that is too little.

What would you charge as a labor commission for building a PC for someone? What is a fair amount?
#2protools1983Posted 11/8/2013 9:28:19 AM
If you are installing the OS and drivers it could take a few hours. Esp if you do it right with cable management. I'd say $150 if you want to stay in the $50/hr range.
---
Stand up for consumer rights! Vote with your dollar! Boycott Xbox One!!!
#3SzymaaPosted 11/8/2013 9:28:31 AM
Personally, I'd say $100 bucks.
---
~Bow chicka bow wow~
I survived ApocalyPS3 & ApocalyPS3 2: Among Thieves
#4KabtheMentatPosted 11/8/2013 9:29:43 AM
Think of it like a tip you'd give a waiter or something. So anywhere between 10-20% the machine's cost IMO.

So like a $600 machine, $60ish sounds reasonable.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#5gsf4lyfePosted 11/8/2013 9:30:17 AM
$50-100 is what I would ask from a friend/relative. You're getting fairly compensated for using a skill of yours to get them something really nice for a better price than they could get elsewhere.
---
Currently playing: Borderlands 2
SteamID: gsf4lyfe
#6ThePCElitistPosted 11/8/2013 9:30:45 AM
I would say a date but you said she has a son. So charge $100 instead of $50
---
When I'm Miqo'te
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3LGf9SSWrU
#7lost_withinPosted 11/8/2013 9:33:40 AM
I would charge 65$/hr plus parts/shipping...if you are buying everything, you could even mark up the parts 10-15%...
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#8KabtheMentatPosted 11/8/2013 9:42:23 AM(edited)
Charging by the hour is kinda bull **** IMO, especially if you're doing it as a favor mostly for someone. We all know hourly worker drag ass on purpose to bump up that money.

Hell, I've done it plenty of times before. And let's be honest, unless there's some major problem with the parts or software you're installing, building a PC is stupid easy.

Edit: Also, I originally read the title of the topic as in PC Building Commission, like there's some sort of group on the PCH board that is the arbiter of building PCs. Anyone else? Don't lie...
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#9gsf4lyfePosted 11/8/2013 9:51:54 AM
KabtheMentat posted...
Charging by the hour is kinda bull **** IMO, especially if you're doing it as a favor mostly for someone. We all know hourly worker drag ass on purpose to bump up that money.

Hell, I've done it plenty of times before. And let's be honest, unless there's some major problem with the parts or software you're installing, building a PC is stupid easy.

Edit: Also, I originally read the title of the topic as in PC Building Commission, like there's some sort of group on the PCH board that is the arbiter of building PCs. Anyone else? Don't lie...

I definitely did, thought TC was appealing to the high council or something.
---
Currently playing: Borderlands 2
SteamID: gsf4lyfe
#10Dren_Snow22(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 9:58:42 AM
lol No high counsel here.

I was thinking that a percent of the parts would be good. I came up with a round number of $50 based on the parts.

I also thought of an hourly charge but like someone said... it's BS. Once in a while when building a computer I make a stupid error that's 100% my fault and I'd hate to charge someone a ton of money to fix an error that I made myself. Building a computer is stupid easy and only takes me about 45 - 60 minutes... if that.

I did install the OS and drivers and I updated Windows all the way. It's ready to be pulled out f the box and used.

I think I'll go with an even $100 charge.

(A date would be nice but I'm 29 and married, my friend is in her mid 50's and married and has children. Makes for a nice fantasy though for a similar age single friend and me not being married myself)