This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I Buy...?

#1Logical_OnePosted 11/8/2013 9:31:30 AM
I have 2 choices--it's hinging on the fact that my brother-in-law wants a new video card but does not have the means to get a really good one.

I'm buying a PS4 no matter what so dropping it is not an option (already have like 2 years of PS+ paid off from past purchases that I want to take advantage of [free games]).

(1) Buy a 780 Ti and sell him my 770 for $175 (I'm not hurting for money like him so I see it as helping family out--I realize that $175 is absurdly low for a Windforce 770).

(2) Lend him some money to get a half-decent card (for example if he wants a 280X I'd have to lend him the $125 because $175 is the most he's willing to pay) and buy an XBOX ONE.

I realize then XBONE is not popular but I know myself--I have more money than sense and I'm a gamer so I will get one at some point. I'm leaning towards the 780 Ti, however, there are some games on the XBONE that do look interesting (plus my wife loves the Kinect).

Any input would be appreciated.
---
Gamefaqs....the land where pokemon is the holy grail and final fantasy is God himself--Raptorleon3
#2protools1983Posted 11/8/2013 9:33:21 AM
Logical_One posted...
I have 2 choices--it's hinging on the fact that my brother-in-law wants a new video card but does not have the means to get a really good one.

I'm buying a PS4 no matter what so dropping it is not an option (already have like 2 years of PS+ paid off from past purchases that I want to take advantage of [free games]).

(1) Buy a 780 Ti and sell him my 770 for $175 (I'm not hurting for money like him so I see it as helping family out--I realize that $175 is absurdly low for a Windforce 770).

(2) Lend him some money to get a half-decent card (for example if he wants a 280X I'd have to lend him the $125 because $175 is the most he's willing to pay) and buy an XBOX ONE.

I realize then XBONE is not popular but I know myself--I have more money than sense and I'm a gamer so I will get one at some point. I'm leaning towards the 780 Ti, however, there are some games on the XBONE that do look interesting (plus my wife loves the Kinect).

The bolded part is obvious if you are willing to buy into Microsoft's $500 tragedy.
---
Stand up for consumer rights! Vote with your dollar! Boycott Xbox One!!!
#3Logical_One(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 10:07:30 AM
protools1983 posted...
Logical_One posted...

The bolded part is obvious if you are willing to buy into Microsoft's $500 tragedy.

Why?

Some of the games look good and I'm a gamer. I'm not about to write off a whole company because of one misstep (that in all honesty was not too far off from my favorite platform--Steam).
---
Gamefaqs....the land where pokemon is the holy grail and final fantasy is God himself--Raptorleon3
#4KillerTrufflePosted 11/8/2013 10:10:45 AM
I'd do the 780Ti and sell him your old card. Unless you really are interested in TV, TV, TV, Sports, TV, Sports, Sports, TV, TV, Call of Duty, TV, and Sports.

Seriously... most Microsoft games will most likely be coming to Windows anyway, and the XBone is just a dismal failure at every turn. Why even consider it? Get the better GPU, and that way your brother-in-law gets a better GPU too, AND you don't have to mess with that XBone crap.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#5MasterDonGeroPosted 11/8/2013 10:10:49 AM
Why do you want to get an Xbox One?
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#6DerPancakePosted 11/8/2013 10:14:40 AM
Why would you give him to money to buy a 280x when you can sell him the 770 for a cheaper price and its better.
---
EVGA
#7Logical_One(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 10:17:25 AM
MasterDonGero posted...

Well, my wife loves the Kinect (go figure) and some of the games look interesting. In terms of launch titles I would say the XBONE has better launch exclusives than the PS4 (DR3, Forza, Crimson Dragon, Ryse etc...). However, I am absolutely getting a PS4 so as to not miss out on the free games--seeing as how I already have PS+ for the next 2 years (plus--long term I am SURE the PS exclusives will win out).

In terms of the TV stuff--I'm realistically not interested; I use the internet to stream/buy everything I watch and don't even have cable.
---
#8Logical_One(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 10:19:08 AM
DerPancake posted...
Why would you give him to money to buy a 280x when you can sell him the 770 for a cheaper price and its better.

It was just an example to indicate the maximum amount he's willing to spend.
---
#9BuburibonPosted 11/8/2013 10:28:05 AM
Logical_One posted...
MasterDonGero posted...

Well, my wife loves the Kinect (go figure) and some of the games look interesting. In terms of launch titles I would say the XBONE has better launch exclusives than the PS4 (DR3, Forza, Crimson Dragon, Ryse etc...). However, I am absolutely getting a PS4 so as to not miss out on the free games--seeing as how I already have PS+ for the next 2 years (plus--long term I am SURE the PS exclusives will win out).

In terms of the TV stuff--I'm realistically not interested; I use the internet to stream/buy everything I watch and don't even have cable.

No need for a justification at all. If it's going to make you even slightly happy, just go ahead and get it for the games that interest you, and that's it. FYI, I'm picking one up for Forza 5 since there's nothing like it on PC.
---
3770K @ 4.5Ghz | 16GB | TITAN
Steam | PSN | XBL: GVAmson23
#10Lonestar2000Posted 11/8/2013 10:37:51 AM
Buying a console at launch is never a good idea.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335