This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Powercolor Vs other brands...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Powercolor Vs other brands...

User Info: Warm_Tape

Warm_Tape
3 years ago#1
Hey guys, i thought this would be a good place to ask. I am looking at getting a Radeon HD 6670 and was wondering if it is worth it to save a little cash and get the PowerColor brand instead of, say, Sapphire.

What is the general consensus?
Trust me, when it comes to sticking things up my butt, I know what I'm talking about. - synth_real

User Info: ThePCElitist

ThePCElitist
3 years ago#2
I've never used them myself and haven't heard of anyone here that has. I usually stick to MSI or Sapphire myself.
When I'm Miqo'te
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3LGf9SSWrU

Warm_Tape
3 years ago#3
Ok, what about GDDR3 vs GDDR5 for the HD 6670? Is the performance difference noticeable you think? I know it' not anywhere near top card, that's why i'm not sure if i should spend the extra on GDDR5.
Trust me, when it comes to sticking things up my butt, I know what I'm talking about. - synth_real

User Info: LMTTN

LMTTN
3 years ago#4
Definitely go with GDDR5. And try to go with Sapphire or Gigabyte instead of PowerColor.
Steam: Macintosh Plus | PSN: letmetrythisname
Now Playing: Battlecruiser 3000AD (WTF am I even doing?)

User Info: TropicMoon10

TropicMoon10
3 years ago#5
Warm_Tape posted...
Ok, what about GDDR3 vs GDDR5 for the HD 6670? Is the performance difference noticeable you think? I know it' not anywhere near top card, that's why i'm not sure if i should spend the extra on GDDR5.

How much extra? The difference is very significant for gaming.
-TropicMoon - as humid as a summer's day on triton
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg

User Info: josh_b

josh_b
3 years ago#6
Ive installed several Powercolor gpu's in systems ive built for friends and family. Just ordered a 280X for my little brother to put in his new computer. I also have never had to RMA a card from them yet.
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, Galaxy GTX670 4GB SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD
Xbox live: tanis8585

User Info: PraetorXyn

PraetorXyn
3 years ago#7
PowerColor are supposedly the worst quality AMD cards you can get. Sapphire is supposedly the best, and Gigabyte is also excellent.
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9

User Info: Kokuei05

Kokuei05
3 years ago#8
Powercolor is as bad as Zotac when it comes to cutting corners. Cheaper coolers, memory, and etc. They'll function as intended by AMD reference; but you'll see a difference if you compare to something better quality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsO-Td0hqXo

Warm_Tape
3 years ago#9
The difference in price isn't much, 10-20 bucks. Still trying to decide on what model to get. It's actually going to be a gift. I want to put it in a PC i already have and give it to my stepdad. I don't know the specs off hand but it is a core 2 duo(don't know the clock speed off hand), with 2 or 3 gigs RAM.

Anyways he doesn't have much money and what he does have he doesn't like to spend on himself. So i am going to try to get the 6670 with GDDR5, but with Christmas coming and me not being exactly rich myself, i'm not sure yet. I may wait it out for a possible black friday deal.

He would mostly play some older games, like Heroes 5 and Daggerdale, maybe Skyrim. But i want to leave the doors open a bit to play some newer or different RPGs or RTSs on at least low settings and smoothly.

EDIT: Oh, i wat to thank everyone for their input so far. I appreciate it.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Powercolor Vs other brands...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived