This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Trouble installing Arkham City on Steam

#1jelly2008Posted 11/8/2013 11:43:02 AM
I got the game code activated on Steam. And I already have the box copy of the game installed on my PC.

I tried copying the existing game files to the folder created within 'downloading' folder, but Steam refuses to download the remainder, and keeps trying to download the entire 17GB of game data.

I also tried creating a folder named Batman Arkham City GOTY and copied the files into that too, but still Steam insists on downloading the full game.

I really don't know what to do now. :( I've got a download limit much less than the game's size.
---
Intel C2D E7500 | Intel DG41RQ | CM GX550W Bronze | ASUS ENGTS450 DirectCU | 4GB Transcend DDR2-800 RAM | Seagate 320GB HDD | Hitachi 250GB HDD | Win Vista SP2
#2El MagnificoPosted 11/8/2013 12:02:09 PM
It's been a while since I did something like that, but I don't remember manipulating a "downloading" folder. How I remembered it was that the game's folder would be created under \SteamApps\common\ . The process I took was start the download, pause it, exit Steam, copy/move the files over to the newly created folder, then restart Steam and tell Steam to verify the game files.

Considering that the version of the game on Steam now uses Steamworks instead of GfWL I wouldn't be surprised if most of the game files have some kind of change requiring them to be redownloaded anyway.

#3jelly2008(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 12:12:05 PM
The 'downloading' folder is within the steamapps folder. It still refuses to check for existing files, and insists on downloading the whole game.
---
Intel C2D E7500 | Intel DG41RQ | CM GX550W Bronze | ASUS ENGTS450 DirectCU | 4GB Transcend DDR2-800 RAM | Seagate 320GB HDD | Hitachi 250GB HDD | Win Vista SP2
#4I-Planters-IPosted 11/8/2013 12:16:07 PM
I have done this with a couple games it required deleting the appmanifest file that is in relation to the game. Then just tell Steam to verify again and it should work. The manifest file acts like it would in the real world, it tells Steam what is in the folder and what still needs to be added. So, when you delete and verify again, Steam is not being told what is or isn't there and looks for itself.

That is what I got out of it anyways.
#5El MagnificoPosted 11/8/2013 12:38:44 PM
jelly2008 posted...
The 'downloading' folder is within the steamapps folder. It still refuses to check for existing files, and insists on downloading the whole game.

It's probably because most of the game files have different hashes due to the transition from GfWL to Steamworks so Steam has to redownload most of the files. From what I remembered even people that already had the GfWL version installed from Steam had to download several GBs when it switched to Steamworks. I don't think there's anyway for you to avoid a massive update unless you transferred over the Steamworks version.
#6jelly2008(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 10:45:03 PM
I tried fiddling around with the files, and now Steam recognizes 7.5 GB of the game. *sigh* What's so different between the game data files in the Steamworks and GFWL versions? :(
---