This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Time to upgrade?

#1Saga3Posted 11/8/2013 5:12:25 PM
So I have about 1300 (~$1600) for a new PC and I'm wondering if it's time to upgrade.

This is my current PC:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1ZpYt

But I can't exactly upgrade it as I'll be selling my old one to my brother (With the exlcusion of my SSD, Hard Drive and CPU cooler).

Should I wait longer? I'm thinking now is a great time though because of the nice competition going on with NVIDIA and AMD.

This is what I'm planning to get:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Saga1234/saved/2JcP

The only problem is I'm not sure on what GPU to get. The price point is fine but should I get a R90, sacrifice something for the 780ti etc?

So, should I wait later (Up to March-April) or just upgrade now?

Thanks
#2Saga3(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 6:15:54 PM
Bump
#3KingDFizzlePosted 11/8/2013 6:23:52 PM
You're old rig isn't bad at all, so I would hold off a bit if I were you. Maybe wait for the 800 series nvidia cards and Broadwell CPUs?
#4doctoglethorpePosted 11/8/2013 6:43:27 PM
The GPU is the only thing I'd consider upgrading (and depending on what you up it to, maybe a bigger PSU).

Right now though, IDK cause Nvidia Maxwell is around the corner. It could be a few months or a whole year before they come out so its kind of a tough call.
#5Saga3(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 6:55:54 PM
I mean I want to go from medium end to high end and right now with the GPU prices it seems like a good time, but i don't know. And since the 780 came out in May I can only assume the 880 will follow suit and I really want one before then.

And if I just bought a GPU, wouldn't I need the next iteration of PCI-E on my motherboard? (3.0?)
#6Blobs_Posted 11/8/2013 7:17:58 PM
Saga3 posted...
I mean I want to go from medium end to high end and right now with the GPU prices it seems like a good time, but i don't know. And since the 780 came out in May I can only assume the 880 will follow suit and I really want one before then.

And if I just bought a GPU, wouldn't I need the next iteration of PCI-E on my motherboard? (3.0?)


No you wouldn't. PCI-E 2.0 is just fine and you will see barely any performance decrease. (Maybe 1-2%)
---
is haha
#7doctoglethorpePosted 11/8/2013 7:20:01 PM
Saga3 posted...
I mean I want to go from medium end to high end and right now with the GPU prices it seems like a good time, but i don't know. And since the 780 came out in May I can only assume the 880 will follow suit and I really want one before then.

And if I just bought a GPU, wouldn't I need the next iteration of PCI-E on my motherboard? (3.0?)


GPUs are still backwards compatible with PCI 2.0 at virtually no performance cost (3.0 isn't really being utilized yet, though Maxwell may change that)
#8Saga3(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 7:25:26 PM
I see, well if they are out before May I'll wait. Thank you.
#9doctoglethorpePosted 11/8/2013 7:39:02 PM
There's no guarantee they will release the same time the 700's did. It could be as much as a year from now (or even delayed into '15).

You might consider a smaller upgrade for now like a 760 to hold you over until then, that's what I did.
#10Saga3(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2013 6:58:29 AM
Hmm, if that's the case I don't know what to do.

780 or R90?

I've never used an AMD card before, every one has been NVIDIA and they served me well. But this mantle thing seems to have a lot of potential and shadowplay doesn't interest me too much.