This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need to reboot dads computer, can anyone help?

#1Sephiroth311Posted 11/9/2013 1:21:16 AM
Could you please post a link to the most simplified walk through?

Trouble is we've lost his original XP disc so I can reinstall his OS. We have a copy of Vista from my current computer and two copy's of windows 7 from mine and my brothers laptops, I don't suppose we could use one of those?
---
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
#2Master_BassPosted 11/9/2013 1:22:47 AM
inb4start->restart
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#3Sephiroth311(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2013 1:23:39 AM
?
---
#4Master_BassPosted 11/9/2013 1:32:02 AM
I'm just poking fun at your title, TC. It made it sound like you wanted to learn how to restart your dad's computer. It's extremely likely that your keys for your other computers are OEM ones that you can't reuse easily, especially if those two computers are in use still.
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#5BadProfessionalPosted 11/9/2013 1:33:45 AM
Sephiroth311 posted...
Could you please post a link to the most simplified walk through?

Trouble is we've lost his original XP disc so I can reinstall his OS. We have a copy of Vista from my current computer and two copy's of windows 7 from mine and my brothers laptops, I don't suppose we could use one of those?

I think you mean "reinstall Windows". Reboot just means to restart the computer (hence Master_Bass's comment).

As for how to do it, you'll either need a copy of an XP disk and the key that came with the computer, or a new key for Vista or W7. Once that has been acquired, Google can show you a reinstall tutorial.
---
Sarcasm passes for serious here.
Serious passes for sarcasm here.
#6MasterDonGeroPosted 11/9/2013 1:52:58 AM
You should get a copy of XP (32-bit or 64-bit ; whatever the version was that came with the computer). Somehow. Google it.

Chances are that the computer isn't compatible with other OSes, so you should really strive for XP. You also will need to download the drivers for all of its components once the OS is installed.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#7Sephiroth311(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2013 1:58:00 AM
Ah sorry I did mean reformat!

That's a shame, I thought maybe they allowed multiple installs these days.
---
#8WinpusPosted 11/9/2013 2:41:54 AM
As far as I know, the iso for any Windows disk is freely distributable. As long as you have a legitimate xp key there shouldn't be any issue using an iso gotten from the web, even from some of the more illicit sites.