This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it recommended to just make my own external drive?

#1Pow Pow PunishmentPosted 11/9/2013 11:13:54 AM
My laptop has no more space. I've replaced my PS3's HDD before so construction shouldn't be an issue. Should I just buy an internal and a case or is it more complicated than those two parts?

Yes, I could google this, but you never know what other suggestions people might have.
---
Training log: http://Machinhate.blogspot.com
Currently playing: Deus Ex, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst
#2lost_withinPosted 11/9/2013 11:15:40 AM
That is exactly what a external HD is, it is a regular HD inside an enclosure...

So if you want to buy a HD and put it in an enclosure it is fairly easy to do, and you will get more HD space for your money....

A dock is easy as well....
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#3DoramiPosted 11/9/2013 11:16:44 AM
You can just get an internal and a case, but unless you intend to use the internal for something else in the future, it's easier to just get an external--and the cost is about the same.
---
"...Ashley takes on Lord Blazer alone in a white cape with flowing rockstar hair while playing his impossibly cool sword as a guitar..." - LBoksha
#4Pow Pow Punishment(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2013 11:21:16 AM
Yeah, I'm not seeing a big saving, if any, on Amazon. An external is $54 for 500 GB and the internals seem about the same.
---
Training log: http://Machinhate.blogspot.com
Currently playing: Deus Ex, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst
#5gastamanPosted 11/9/2013 11:28:29 AM
Building your own external HDD will save you in the long run, cause you can use it with multiple hdd's. The savings may not seem much right now, cause you still have to buy the enclosure, but once you have it, you're good to go. For about the price of that 500GB external you're talking about, you can buy a 1TB internal that is probably more reliable and faster, as well.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#6PhilOnDezPosted 11/9/2013 11:32:16 AM
I've 'made' a few of my own but they were old 2.5" drives from dead laptops. If you have some of those laying around enclosures are cheap (I think I paid $7 each for some really nice ones) but premade ones seem to be around the same price, if not cheaper.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#7DoramiPosted 11/9/2013 11:36:14 AM
You can disassemble a lot of external HDDs and reuse the enclosure, so "saving money by only buying 1 enclosure" is not a valid argument.

Internals are not more reliable than externals. The reason they have lower failure rate is because internals have better cooling and more reliable power supplies than externals. Both advantages go away if you're putting an internal into an external enclosure.
---
"...Ashley takes on Lord Blazer alone in a white cape with flowing rockstar hair while playing his impossibly cool sword as a guitar..." - LBoksha
#8Master_BassPosted 11/9/2013 11:38:27 AM(edited)
I would only recommend making your own if you can get a great price on the enclosure and drive, or if you have a old HDD laying around. otherwise you don't really save much money.
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#9Orestes417Posted 11/9/2013 11:40:08 AM
Yeah, the main advantage to buying a separate enclosure is in the quality of the enclosure itself. Don't underestimate the importance of good cooling
---
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!
#10Killah PriestPosted 11/9/2013 11:41:36 AM
I bought a USB/eSATA HDD dock for like 40 dollars and its been incredibly useful.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.