This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it recommended to just make my own external drive?

#11gastamanPosted 11/9/2013 10:51:55 AM(edited)
Dorami posted...
You can disassemble a lot of external HDDs and reuse the enclosure, so "saving money by only buying 1 enclosure" is not a valid argument.

Internals are not more reliable than externals. The reason they have lower failure rate is because internals have better cooling and more reliable power supplies than externals. Both advantages go away if you're putting an internal into an external enclosure.

Yes, inherently, they are the same types of HDD, so one is not instantly more reliable than the other. What I meant, is that because you have your choice of HDD, you have the ability to pick up a higher quality HDD that could be more reliable than those typically used in externals. This means you can also pick up a faster HDD, if you want.

And if you're going to disassemble your external to swap out the HDD, may as well pick up an enclosure that was designed to opened up, considering everyone is already in agreement that the cost is about the same.

Edit: And just to go back to my original post. Do you really think that the HDD included in a $55 500GB external will be just as fast and of equal or better reliability than say, a 1TB 7200RPM 64MB cache Seagate Barracuda?

Edit2: And yes, also what Orestes417 said. Better cooling in separate enclosures.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#12DiehardFFv2Posted 11/10/2013 7:03:42 AM
gastaman posted...
Edit: And just to go back to my original post. Do you really think that the HDD included in a $55 500GB external will be just as fast and of equal or better reliability than say, a 1TB 7200RPM 64MB cache Seagate Barracuda?

If you buy the correct external hard drive, yes. When I bought my 3TB external a month or so back at $120, it was cheaper than buying the bare drive even though they were identical. Both being 7200RPM with 64 MB Cache. All you have to do is a smidgeon of research to find out what drive is inside of them.
---
3570k | r9 280x | 8GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD
#13Love_Me_SexyPosted 11/10/2013 7:11:16 AM
Yes.

Assembling an internal HDD and enclosure is better than buying an external drive.

You have the choice of HDD and enclosure, 2 big pluses as externals usually have cheap components used to make them.
---
PS4 preordered! X1 Day 1 preordered!
PC Wishlist: 27" IPS, MB/RAM/CPU/GPU/PSU, 4TB HDD, KB
#14daemon_danPosted 11/10/2013 7:36:10 AM
Look into the specifics and reviews of certain ones. Sometimes you can get an external, and the drive used in it might be more expensive just by itself. That's what happened when I got my 3TB external. And I've seen in plenty of reviews that people repurposed the enclosure and just stuck the 3TB drive into their internal bays. So the enclosures can sometimes be pulled apart and reused.
---
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride
#15LordSeiferPosted 11/10/2013 7:37:34 AM
internal + case is usually more expensive.

just buy an external
---
^ this
#16TimePharaohPosted 11/10/2013 6:29:53 PM
gastaman posted...

Edit2: And yes, also what Orestes417 said. Better cooling in separate enclosures.

Uh....buy the Seagate one? No **** if you buy a WD external it's not going to secretly be a Seagate inside it....but uh, yes, if you buy the Seagate it will be the Seagate.
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png
#17gastamanPosted 11/10/2013 6:32:32 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
gastaman posted...

Uh....buy the Seagate one? No **** if you buy a WD external it's not going to secretly be a Seagate inside it....but uh, yes, if you buy the Seagate it will be the Seagate.

Where did I say that there would be a Seagate hdd in a WD external???
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#18BkongoPosted 11/10/2013 7:50:34 PM
It's not a big deal, it's pretty affordable. Though often, external drives will go on sale cheaper than internal ones, which is strange.
#19qeoijlijwPosted 11/10/2013 8:45:09 PM
so no one here has actually opened up an external hard drive.
and see that it's the exact same drive as an internal one in it
and then use it as an internal hard drive because it was cheaper
besides me