My CPU right now is an i5 2320 @ 3.0 Ghz w/ 4 cpus
My GPU is a Gefore GTX 660 ti w/ 4GB memory
I probably won't get a new GPU for a while, since anything worth upgrading to from my current GPU is gonna cost a bit, so in the mean time, would it be smart to upgrade the CPU to something like i7 with a bit more of a kick?
I ask this all the context that i have virtually no clue what the hell i'm talking about, so any advice I can get would be super helpful. Thanks!
#2_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 11/9/2013 10:48:35 AM
No , I would stick with that CPU. It has a lower stock speed than the i5 2500 but is otherwise comparable and can still hold its own (.3 Ghz less, and slower, but not by much). It matches that GPU well in terms of performance, and the gains from upgrading are very limited for gaming.
If you are looking for a direct increase in performance, you are still better off upgrading the GPU. Imo, enjoy what you have, these are still great components, and upgrade when there are larger gains to be had for a decent price. --- I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#3Master_BassPosted 11/9/2013 10:58:51 AM
Yeah, you have decent components so I would wait until they don't cut it for you. Also, I'd recommend replacing the GPU first as well. --- Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#4chia(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2013 11:01:59 AM
Thanks dudes, I'll keep that in mind.
#5Kokuei05Posted 11/9/2013 11:04:57 AM
Only upgrade if you feel that you're not getting the performance you'd like to be getting. Don't just upgrade because the PC is old. --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsO-Td0hqXo
#6DragnfyrPosted 11/9/2013 11:07:02 AM
There's no need to upgrade either component yet. If you really want an upgrade you should get a SSD if you don't already have one. If you already have an SSD I would say you should focus on getting better peripherals (eg. better mouse, mechanical keyboard, better monitor, etc) --- MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.9 | Windows 8.1 Pro
#7juscallmeehxPosted 11/9/2013 11:42:08 AM
Have to agree with everyone. You do not need to upgrade yet. --- PSN, XBL & Steam: juscallmeehx i5-4670k CPU @ 3.4GHz | 2x8GB RAM | Evga GTX 560 ti | 2x128GB SSD & 1TB HD