This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is Path of Exile free?

#11KaiRyusakiPosted 11/10/2013 9:19:00 AM
Because it's crazy to expect people to play a game where left/right clicking moves your character!
#12Rexdragon125Posted 11/10/2013 9:22:23 AM
I guess it's too much to ask for interesting mechanics? Spyro Skylanders pulls off Diablo style better than this. It's pathetic. In Skylanders spacing and dodging is emphasized and it's just much more engaging.
#13HydroCannabinolPosted 11/10/2013 9:32:10 AM
Poor graphics engine and physics along with basic and boring combat is why its free.

Its more of a niche game for people who like to theorycraft and minmax builds rather than enjoy engaging combat.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#14zxelmanPosted 11/10/2013 10:04:46 AM
HydroCannabinol posted...
Poor graphics engine and physics along with basic and boring combat is why its free.

Its more of a niche game for people who like to theorycraft and minmax builds rather than enjoy engaging combat.

I didn't think any top-down ARPG had engaging combat, or had many buttons to begin with. And yes I've played more than just PoE.
#15JKatarnPosted 11/10/2013 10:05:09 AM
knightoffire55 posted...
It makes Diablo III look like a smelly pile of dog poo.

No, no it does not, and everyone who makes this hyperbolic statement has either:

A.) Never played Diablo III

B.) Is bitter over the "always online"/auction house requirements of Diablo III on the PC

I've played it, and it's not a bad game, but I found the combat to be very plodding and dull, and the environments and characters to be very generic and boring, with little/no flavor to them. If you're in love with huge skill trees, you'll love the game, and that is a neat aspect of it - but I'd take Diablo III's combat/skills over PoE any day.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#16RequiemPosted 11/10/2013 10:06:07 AM

That pretty much describes every Diablo clone games out there.
---
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex
#17JKatarnPosted 11/10/2013 10:06:19 AM
zxelman posted...

I didn't think any top-down ARPG had engaging combat, or had many buttons to begin with. And yes I've played more than just PoE.

Titan Quest, Diablo 2, Diablo III, Torchlight 2, those are just a few games that had entertaining combat.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#18zxelmanPosted 11/10/2013 10:45:00 AM(edited)
JKatarn posted...
zxelman posted...

Titan Quest, Diablo 2, Diablo III, Torchlight 2, those are just a few games that had entertaining combat.

How? You still stood there and pressed key buttons for skills, and mouse for attack. T2 had a dodge, but it doesn't even let you dodge skills, just autoattacks. D2 I highly appreciated it because it felt ahead of its time, at the time, but playing it now is like playing any other top-down ARPG. D2, D3, and T2 had great settings and an immersive world, but the combat is all just a few nifty "feels" here and there.

Titan Quest is the only one on there I'll honestly say I haven't tried, so that's the only edge I don't have there. Watching a youtube video, I can't get a feel for the controls myself, but it still looks like the same thing unless you want to elaborate.

Edit: And the funny thing is about your other post about people just instantly complaining about the auction because they haven't played the game, can instantly apply to people with PoE.

Yes it's free so ANYONE can easily try it, but little of the majority that complain actually reached the next difficulty, got enough skill gems, and felt its difference immediately.

The ones that DID all that and complained typically have more legit arguments for why the game sucks in their opinion, and little to none of those people said anything about the skill mechanics. Some of the complaints would relate to actually obtaining them, which I can say it sucks to the unlucky people.

Somewhat TL;DR: My only point, is that all ARPGs are to each persons taste. But to complain about PoE's mechanics instantly is very akin to complaining about D3's mechanics instantly, and everyone does this in many other fashions (console wars comes to mind). PoE's lackluster feel in combat is more than enough made up with more mechanics for flexibility in choice of playstyle (although dependent on what you find, which sucks), and putting it to the real test. The highest difficulty is as REAL as any Diablo's highest difficulty, and goes higher with BS maps that put you in crappy situations, which I hate and love at the same time.