This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Linux only needs one 'killer' game to explode, says Battlefield director

#31ChetyrePosted 11/13/2013 8:34:44 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Chetyre posted...
Shub posted...
Orestes417 posted...
There's nothing else I use Windows for that can't be done as well through a xen vm.

Do you run BF4 like that?

He could. I don't run BF4 like that because I have no interest in shooters, but my xen vm can run any game you throw at it.

Indeed I could, but it'd require a somewhat radical reconfiguration of my partition layout. I'd do it in a heartbeat though for the remaining Windows only games the second I knew I could play my primary games natively on Arch.

You can switch to LVM. much more malleable
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#32Orestes417Posted 11/13/2013 8:45:06 PM
Been running BTRFS for years now, LVM would just be added complication. The issue comes in in migrating over the other OSes currently occupying real installs on various drives
---
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!
#33darkstar4221Posted 11/14/2013 2:36:32 AM(edited)
Psykic Petrol posted...
The whole history about no games on Linux/only DirectX thing was pretty funny. Or very facepalming depending on your perspective.

Someone who actually works with OpenGL regularly probably knows it better, but it sort of boiled down to Microsoft making sure their new DirectX 8+ API was a lot more open and accommodating to game programmers wanting to code for GPUs, particularly when it came to hardware cross-compatibility and coding backwards compatibility, than the mess OpenGL implementation began to turn into. Previously, MS were publicly slated multiple times by all the industry bigwigs since their previous attempts in making Direct3D usable were terrible to say the least.
It wasn't like no one cared about OpenGL either; Nvidia loved it to bits and pushed hard for it, even after MS basically gave them free reign on implementing shaders.

And even then, the OpenGL people probably had at least 3 separate opportunities to trump DirectX to the limelight since win2k, the most recent being the whole DX10 on Vista only thing, only to derp up every single time. The irony is D3D has evolved into what they intended OpenGL to be, proprietariness aside.

And how is DirectX more open than OpenGL? You are forgetting that DirectX is only available on Windows. One of the main problems in the PC desktop is the lack of interoperability between Windows and other OSes. If Microsoft would make DirectX open source and cross platform you would see more gaming support for Linux.

Given the marketshare of Windows and that Microsoft owns the rights to DirectX so MS can make it exclusive to Windows thus preventing interoperability, that is why MS STILL has a monopoly in the PC desktop.
#34hitokiri13Posted 11/14/2013 5:15:48 AM
BF director is stupid. Windows started small and built up as they go. Why can't Linux?!?

Can you name any popular PC game during 90s?
---
Originally Posted by Manicdan
using a OCed quad for torrenting is like robbing your local video store with a rocket launcher.
#35DoomkillaPosted 11/14/2013 5:41:45 AM
gumbyxcore99 posted...
what does a person from dice know about killer games?

---
"The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern."
Moiraine Damodred
#36Pepys MonsterPosted 11/14/2013 5:45:29 AM
The funny thing is that Halo was never a killer game. It was merely the best game on a console that had no good games, so those who bought an Xbox clung to it.
---
AMD A10 5757M @ 2.5GHz | Radeon 8750M 2GB | Samsung Evo 1TB SSD | 8GB DDR3-1600 | Windows 8
#37Rexdragon125Posted 11/14/2013 7:19:06 AM
DirectX is just much better documented and just easier to use than OpenGL by a magnitude. OpenGL has a lot of extra cruft since it's not really designed for games in the first place.
#38lost_withinPosted 11/14/2013 8:26:19 AM
Linux is great as a Windows alternative but far from a replacement, but IMHO it needs a lot more than "one killer" game to push it into the main stream home user market...

but like I said that is my humble opinion...
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison