This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

psu with no switch

#11KillerzOverHerePosted 11/11/2013 6:51:24 AM
If you bought a decent USB converter, most of them come with their own power chord and if you plug it into the laptop, it uses the power from the USB or something. CareyHolzmann on YT did a video on this like Laptop + Desktop repair and he linked a nice product. Get that.
---
Console peasants don't know what they are missing out on. There is simply no reason albeit cost (which is debatable) that one should not be playing on PC.
#12SlaynPosted 11/11/2013 7:21:01 AM
jakeDiLLa posted...
Its a pretty simple question, can I get anything besides horrible attempts at jokes?

No one wants to be responsible for your death. Why don't you do a live stream of it? Google which wires.

Go ahead. I'll wait.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#13Golden_GonadsPosted 11/11/2013 7:25:37 AM
jakeDiLLa posted...
Its a pretty simple question, can I get anything besides horrible attempts at jokes?

You can't. There you go, question answered. Now stop being stingy and pay out the few pennies for appropriate parts.
#14Sidewinder1386Posted 11/11/2013 7:48:57 AM
I don't know or care if you're trolling, but for the sake of anyone reading this thread that doesn't know better, DO NOT open or tamper with your power supply. This isn't a laughing matter when it can lead to death.
---
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: Sidewinder1386
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2768556/
#15thatfool12GsPosted 11/11/2013 7:55:17 AM
wildog2006 posted...
jakeDiLLa posted...
Thanks but I know how to unplug it from the electrical outlet.

Anyone?

We'll be reading your obituary in the coming days.

Lol
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
#16Omega_SyndromePosted 11/11/2013 4:43:50 PM
Like everyone said please do not open a psu unit. That being said I have an option for you. The current inside the psu although active does not pull from the cord after you unplug it. You will need to make a trip to the hardware store. You will be looking for an electrical switch, preferably you will pick up something meant for electronics.

So for starters you need to ground yourself and place the psu on a laminate top table. Cut the cord about 6 inches away from the psu. Strip the wires on both ends of the cord and wire in the switch. Diagrams for proper wiring can be found via google.

I stress this point very much, remain grounded throughout the whole proccess.

Now for a safer method I would prefer you to use. Instead of operating on the psu just plug it independantly into a power strip and use the typical on off function of the brick.

I have used gamefaqs for years but never registered before. After seeing your post I felt I had to say something.
#17lost_withinPosted 11/11/2013 4:49:07 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
PSUs can store enough power to instantly kill you for a very long time, unplugging it isn't going to do ****.

the last part of this statement implies that you will eventually come back to life...
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#18Rolen47Posted 11/11/2013 5:11:38 PM
Everyone that told you not to open your PSU is being serious, they aren't joking. Large capacitors are very dangerous and the average Joe should not mess with them casually. They stay charged for a very long time even after being disconnected from a source of power.
#19mrCubePosted 11/11/2013 5:22:46 PM
Uh why didn't the paperclip trick work? It should work as long as it's plugged in regardless of whether or not the PSU has a switch.
---
---
#20KillerTrufflePosted 11/11/2013 5:23:28 PM
Unless you have a degree in electrical engineering or have some experience working with extremely high voltage, you should most definitely NOT be opening your PSU up and trying to rewire it.

People telling you that can be a fast ticket to the grave are not joking.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23