This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

psu with no switch

#21bobhome2Posted 11/11/2013 5:59:18 PM
jakeDiLLa posted...
Its a pretty simple question, can I get anything besides horrible attempts at jokes?

If you think your life is a joke...

As others have said, it's incredibly dangerous to open up a power supply. No one wants to say "Welp, I helped to kill someone today, because they were dumb enough to open up a PSU."
#22NicoC96Posted 11/11/2013 7:09:43 PM
jakeDiLLa posted...
Its a pretty simple question, can I get anything besides horrible attempts at jokes?

Jokes? These aren't jokes. I'd rather shoot myself than fuss around with an opened power supply.

It only takes 0.1 - 0.2 amps to kill a human. And it isn't a "just drop dead" sort of death, it takes a little bit. A power supply outputs any where from 0.3A to 48A+. And that is just on a single rail. The capacitors, which are made to store power, are holding that energy, even when it is unplugged. So if you feel the need to go probing around in perfectly usable power supply, make sure you have your will made up and a funeral arranged!

A more sensible option is to buy one of these:
http://amzn.com/B0002JTD20
#23TimePharaohPosted 11/11/2013 7:29:07 PM
Slayn posted...
jakeDiLLa posted...

No one wants to be responsible for your death.

I very much want to, it would be an honor.
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png
#24ygfbvPosted 11/11/2013 8:05:50 PM(edited)
TC, we're not joking when we say "opening a PSU can kill you".

Capacitors can hold enough power to kill you for weeks. It's not something to mess around with, and even with a discharging wand it's stupid to open a PSU up.

Even with EH or SD boots (boots with resistors) and a solid ground, it's dangerous.
---
http://www.anime-planet.com/images/users/signatures/ygfbv.jpg
#25jakeDiLLa(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 11:21:49 PM
where in the hell did everyone get that I was planning to "open my power supply"

I'm asking how I can integrate a switch which does in no way require you to open the unit. There should be a wire that I would wire to a switch I just need some sort of guide so that I connect the right wires.

With that being said I guess I was mistaken to think I could get any help here. Dimwits...
#26KillerTrufflePosted 11/11/2013 11:28:49 PM
jakeDiLLa posted...
where in the hell did everyone get that I was planning to "open my power supply"

I'm asking how I can integrate a switch which does in no way require you to open the unit. There should be a wire that I would wire to a switch I just need some sort of guide so that I connect the right wires.

With that being said I guess I was mistaken to think I could get any help here. [redacted]...

Well, the fact that typically, when you "wire in a switch" to something, it involves opening it up. But by all means, treat serious suggestions based on your wording as a joke, and insult people who answered you. You'll be MUCH more likely to get help here in the future like that.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#27jakeDiLLa(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 11:57:22 PM(edited)
since when does making a switch involve opening something up? Especially a power supply lol wtf. Remember how power supplies have all their wires OUTSIDE of the case? You know, the part that connects to your motherboard? How do you think it turns on when it's connected to the motherboard? Oh right! A signal is sent THROUGH THE WIRE. All you need to do is splice/solder the switch into said wire.

And if people are going to take the opportunity to showcase that they don't know diddly squat about the topic posed then I will take the opportunity to berate them for even replying.

PS I found the correct wire and got it working. Wasn't the typical green one that most PSU's have. Thanks anyways
#28hellmasterpPosted 11/12/2013 12:34:14 AM
jakeDiLLa posted...
since when does making a switch involve opening something up? Especially a power supply lol wtf. Remember how power supplies have all their wires OUTSIDE of the case? You know, the part that connects to your motherboard? How do you think it turns on when it's connected to the motherboard? Oh right! A signal is sent THROUGH THE WIRE. All you need to do is splice/solder the switch into said wire.

And if people are going to take the opportunity to showcase that they don't know diddly squat about the topic posed then I will take the opportunity to berate them for even replying.

PS I found the correct wire and got it working. Wasn't the typical green one that most PSU's have. Thanks anyways

It's your own fault, " wire in a switch" is loose terms, and and putting something in to anything usually means opening up something. You did specify that it was the 24 pin cable or the power cable into the wall. Next time, clarify. Then you would not have all this people "berate" you from doing something that is known to be dangerous. Most people in the enthusiast group would say the same thing as everyone in here is saying; check any other site that is tech related and you would have got the same reaction as what just happened.
---
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=557350 -my old mobo oc
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2341052 -current mobo oc
#29R i c kPosted 11/12/2013 12:51:33 AM(edited)
1) Caps do not store enough to even come close to killing a person. For starters, they're DC current and AC is what does a number on your heart. Caps will do nothing more than give you a shock. (Just keep in mind that discharging a cap into a circuit CAN kill the PSU and working in any device that's plugged in can kill YOU)

2) The paperclip method IS the switch. It's completing a circuit that the mobo normally completes when the power switch is pressed. If you remembered to hook up a load to the PSU and the paperclip method doesn't work then something else is wrong.
---
i5-2500k@4.5Ghz, XFX Radeon HD 6870, ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3, 2x8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Crucial M4 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD, XFX Pro650W Core, Corsair 650D
#30jakeDiLLa(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2013 12:51:36 AM
all i asked was which wires to use in order to turn the psu on. I figured anyone with some know-how on a PC message board would understand what I was talking about but instead I got people who I guess thought I was talking about the wires coming from the electrical outlet which makes no sense.

And I did search but the PSU I have is 12 pin, not 24 so I couldn't find the info. I used trial and error to find the correct wire so in hindsight this topic was pointless so for that I made a mistake. However I think its pretty sad/hilarious that there were so many people posting that didn't have a clue and jumped to the "lolz electrocution" conclusion.