This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

psu with no switch

#31SlaynPosted 11/12/2013 1:20:41 AM
R i c k posted...
1) Caps do not store enough to even come close to killing a person. For starters, they're DC current and AC is what does a number on your heart. Caps will do nothing more than give you a shock. (Just keep in mind that discharging a cap into a circuit CAN kill the PSU and working in any device that's plugged in can kill YOU)

2) The paperclip method IS the switch. It's completing a circuit that the mobo normally completes when the power switch is pressed. If you remembered to hook up a load to the PSU and the paperclip method doesn't work then something else is wrong.

Get out of here with your science!!!
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#32Kokuei05Posted 11/12/2013 7:22:34 AM
RIP
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r1PPedJzng
#33MotleyManiacsPosted 11/12/2013 12:13:31 PM
Anyone wishing he had opened his PSU now???
---
i5-2500K / Asus CUII 7870 / 8GB G.Skill Ripjaw 1333 / 128GB Intel SSD /
American by birth, Patriot by choice!
#34KillerTrufflePosted 11/12/2013 3:20:51 PM
R i c k posted...
1) Caps do not store enough to even come close to killing a person. For starters, they're DC current and AC is what does a number on your heart. Caps will do nothing more than give you a shock. (Just keep in mind that discharging a cap into a circuit CAN kill the PSU and working in any device that's plugged in can kill YOU)

Defibrillators are DC devices, use capacitors, and *intentionally* discharge voltage through the body. A defibrillator works by interfering with the electrical signals being produced by the heart muscle, *stopping* the heart and hoping it will start up again on its own in an organized fashion. They are never to be used on a person with a regular heartbeat, because they effectively cause an intentional heart attack, and it's possible the heart might not come back from that on its own. I read an article just last year I believe where an EMT accidentally killed one of his partners when he used a manual defibrillator on them as a joke. DC.

Any sufficient current - AC or DC - that passes through the heart muscle can have this same effect. If you touch a large enough capacitor with one hand, and the current travels down your body and out a foot, it is entirely possible for it to travel through the heart on the way down. That in itself is dangerous - AC or not. AC will absolutely tear you a new one, but it's still a bit foolish to completely discount DC.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#35N1GHTSPosted 11/12/2013 3:47:20 PM(edited)
i opened my PSU once (unbranded PSU) when i was younger trying to fix a rattling noise, my little finger touched the huge metal thingy while the PC was powered on (yes i was young and impatient, i was tired of switiching PC on and off to see if rattling had stopped).

My arm started to shake and i let go of the PSU and had a cut on my finger

after realising what had happened and stuff i also realised i still had to go back to the PSU and screw it all back together.

The older i get the more i realise i could have died ^_^;
---
Sonic Adventure - Chao Information
http://chao.hippotank.com
#36gastamanPosted 11/12/2013 3:44:21 PM
MotleyManiacs posted...
Anyone wishing he had opened his PSU now???

LOL
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#37ThescyyPosted 11/12/2013 3:45:16 PM(edited)
R i c k posted...

2) The paperclip method IS the switch. It's completing a circuit that the mobo normally completes when the power switch is pressed. If you remembered to hook up a load to the PSU and the paperclip method doesn't work then something else is wrong.

Yup, no one has ever died from working inside of power supplies, never.

Oh wait.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2215200/Teenager-Shawnee-Oklahoma-dies-electrocuted-fixing-computer.html

Go open an old CRT monitor and start messing with the caps to prove your point. I'll take the fact that you never come back to be proving our points.
---
i7 3930k @ 4.5Ghz | H220 | asrock x79 extreme 9 | 16GB 1600mhz ram | SLI GTX 780 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | 8TB HDDs | EVGA Supernova 1300 G2 | Fractal design R4
#38R i c kPosted 11/12/2013 4:02:17 PM(edited)
Thescyy posted...
Oh wait.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2215200/Teenager-Shawnee-Oklahoma-dies-electrocuted-fixing-computer.html
Go open an old CRT monitor and start messing with the caps to prove your point. I'll take the fact that you never come back to be proving our points.

BS article is BS and one I've read before. Unless you have an extremely weak heart, it's very unlikely for DC current to kill a person unless it's applied continuously over an extended period of time. I have a degree in electronics and I've built my own powers supplies.
---
i5-2500k@4.5Ghz, XFX Radeon HD 6870, ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3, 2x8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Crucial M4 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD, XFX Pro650W Core, Corsair 650D
#39mrCubePosted 11/12/2013 4:08:53 PM
Thescyy posted...
R i c k posted...

Oh wait.

1) he never said they've never killed anyone before
2) That article is seriously garbage and lacks a lot of relevant info.
3) The CRT bit is completely irrelevant

You are a very bad poster.
---
---
#40ThescyyPosted 11/12/2013 4:19:05 PM(edited)
He said caps come no where close to storing the power to kill a person. That seems like a pretty clear statement. Secondly that is just the first link that came up when googling, I've seen other stories over the years about similar occurrences. The crt part is plenty relevent if he's going to say caps aren't dangerous as such a blanket statement then some of the highest capacity caps in home electronics should be no big deal right. Lastly a random calling me a bad poster is cute, I don't know if I'll be able to sleep at night.
---
i7 3930k @ 4.5Ghz | H220 | asrock x79 extreme 9 | 16GB 1600mhz ram | SLI GTX 780 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | 8TB HDDs | EVGA Supernova 1300 G2 | Fractal design R4