This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

With ValveOS / Shield console-fying the PC, why not just hook your PC to TV?

#1KamenRiderBladePosted 11/10/2013 9:50:58 AM
ValveOS / Shield are trying to turn your PC into a console.

Why even spend that money on those products when you can hook your PC to your TV with a long video / audio cable and get a wireless keyboard / mouse

HDMI cables can get really long if necessary.

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/456880/138207110/stock-vector-lightweight-portable-medical-table-for-tools-vector-illustration-138207110.jpg

If you need a table, there are plenty of medical tables that solve that problem to create a mini desk that allows you to sit on a couch or lazy boy while enjoying all the benefits of a computer.

Wouldn't that be a far better experience than trying to route everything through another device?

I know a few people who have done this, why doesn't everybody just go this route?
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#2stmstrPosted 11/10/2013 9:52:06 AM
KamenRiderBlade posted...
Why even spend that money on those products

SteamOS is free
#3GwendalPosted 11/10/2013 9:53:49 AM
While you can use a really long cable, I'm sure there's quite a few people who would rather just stream to a Steambox instead. For example, if they have a TV in their living room on the ground floor and their main PC in another room upstairs. It's just a lot more convenient than running a cable halfway through the house.
---
Currently playing:
Crusader Kings 2 (PC), Rayman Origins (PC)
#430aught6Posted 11/10/2013 10:08:11 AM
I'm on my HTPC right now (Logitech K400 with track pad). I don't play FPS games on it (low profile, GT 640), well I have played HL2 a little with a 360 controller, but it feels awful.

Playing with KBM on a couch or chair in the living room is just a bad idea, IMO.
No one is going to run a cable through the house just to play on their HDTV; that's asinine.
---
| i7-3930K | MSI Big Bang-XPower II | GTX 680 4GB X2 | CORSAIR DDR3 32GB | Thermaltake TP Grand 1200W | Seagate 240GB SSD | WD Black 4TB | Fractal Define XLR2 |
#5MahoganyTooth92Posted 11/10/2013 10:27:42 AM
It's for the stuck-up people who don't know how to build a computer and are too proud to try and learn so they just blow way more money than you need to so to get a gaming spec computer.
---
"PC has a $0 a year maintenance fee. The only money I put into my PC is buying more games. Have fun with your subscription based gaming." -SirisS-G-P
#6electroflamePosted 11/10/2013 10:35:37 AM
My computer is too far away from my TV to hook it up directly, and wireless controllers are kind of flaky since the signal has to pass through multiple walls.

I don't have a streaming PC specifically for the living room, but depending on how SteamOS turns out I'd definitely look into putting together a mid-range, low-profile PC for streaming to the living room.

Also: KB/M on a couch is awful. It's less accurate than you'd imagine, and for the most part you'd be better off with a controller.
---
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
Steam ID: electroflame
#7Rolen47Posted 11/10/2013 10:41:16 AM
A lot of people do do this, however it just depends on how you want your house to be organized. Some people just like the simplicty of a console because there's usually more clutter with PCs.
#8zxelmanPosted 11/10/2013 10:59:46 AM(edited)
Rolen47 posted...
A lot of people do do this, however it just depends on how you want your house to be organized. Some people just like the simplicty of a console because there's usually more clutter with PCs.

Clutter is barely there in a PC other than taking up space and plugging it to the wall, which is just what the Steambox is accomplishing, only in a smaller form factor so it fits in more places.

Steambox's streaming is the main thing that is going to sell for those people that already have a PC. And it better be good, or it's no use. If it does with little to no problems, it will be a great way to put your PC in another room without having to move it.

I don't see many people actually buying it like as if it's a PC itself, but all the details aren't there yet so I'll wait on that.
#9stmstrPosted 11/10/2013 11:18:48 AM
zxelman posted...
I don't see many people actually buying it like as if it's a PC itself, but all the details aren't there yet so I'll wait on that.

There's not much to learn. It's going to be almost exactly like buying a prebuilt PC in stores right now, except you'll get SteamOS instead of Windows installed on it.

If you just want to stream to the cheapest PC imaginable then there might be a prebuilt with specs/cost that you like or you can just build your own and install SteamOS for free.
#10zxelmanPosted 11/10/2013 11:24:26 AM
stmstr posted...
zxelman posted...

There's not much to learn. It's going to be almost exactly like buying a prebuilt PC in stores right now, except you'll get SteamOS instead of Windows installed on it.

If you just want to stream to the cheapest PC imaginable then there might be a prebuilt with specs/cost that you like or you can just build your own and install SteamOS for free.

I'm not gonna lie that building your PC isn't cheaper, because building is and will be cheaper for a long time to come if not forever.

But if Steamboxes come as cheaper pre-built than other pre-builds (SteamOS is certainly going to help that since it's free as opposed to Windows costing 80ish dollars), it's going to matter to those lazybum/ill-informed/whatever you call them, because people to this day still buy PCs pre-built. If Steambox takes over this market (which I doubt but if it does, it will take awhile), that's more money to Valve, less money to Microsoft.