This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

With ValveOS / Shield console-fying the PC, why not just hook your PC to TV?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. With ValveOS / Shield console-fying the PC, why not just hook your PC to TV?
3 years ago#11
How exactly does the Shield "console-fy" the PC?

The Shield is essentially a handheld android system that allows you to stream PC games to it. It's not a "main" system, it's an add on for people who can afford it. Not to mention it's a fantastic emulation device.
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
3 years ago#12
It is more for the console crowd and people that don't have a proper way to set up their PC to their main tv.
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
3 years ago#13
first of all, I'd need like a 30 foot hdmi cable
secondly the medical table would not work as a table, I have one already.
thirdly I have a plasma as my television and it gets severe image retention
fourthly I have a decent sized monitor
fifthly I have consoles for my TV
sixthly my television supports 24hz so a lot of games try to run at that refresh rate and look terrible
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
3 years ago#14
I have a HTPC i put together from good parts i had lying around. But with SteamOS and it's streaming features i can downgrade that HTPC (which im doing, parts should be here tomorrow) So once that PC is set up with SteamOS i can sell my current HTPC and hopefully make a bit of money.

We have a big house, running a HDMI through 3 rooms from my room to the living room isn't practical. Putting together a cheap HTPC with SteamOS (which is free) is the best solution to play PC games on my comfy couch. And as i said before hopefully i'll do all this and make some money out of it :)
Pointing out your stupidity is not trolling
3 years ago#15
30aught6 posted...
I'm on my HTPC right now (Logitech K400 with track pad). I don't play FPS games on it (low profile, GT 640), well I have played HL2 a little with a 360 controller, but it feels awful.

Playing with KBM on a couch or chair in the living room is just a bad idea, IMO.
No one is going to run a cable through the house just to play on their HDTV; that's asinine.

Speak for yourself on the KB/M being a bad idea for the living room :)
I manage just fine with a somewhat expensive wireless setup. Keyboard stays in my lap and my mouse goes on a side table. I also have a small keyboard/trackpad I occasionally use and a 360 controller. You are right about FPS games being slightly awkward to play, although I love playing Civilization 5 in the comfort of my living room with my huge TV above a roaring fireplace in the winter.
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
3 years ago#16
My computer is hooked up to my TV. And steam big picture mode is rather handy since I lack a good keyboard/mouse to use from my bed.
3DS FC: 3179-6108-955
Friend Safari Rock: Barbaracle, Corsola, Boldore
3 years ago#17
HugoNikanor posted...
My computer is hooked up to my TV. And steam big picture mode is rather handy since I lack a good keyboard/mouse to use from my bed.

Get a good wireless Keyboard Mouse

I recommend the Logitech G602 for the wireless Mouse
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
3 years ago#18
My PC is mainly a console if I play games... I have to admit that I only do ''entertaining stuff'' on it and nothing severe...

PS3 Mad Catz Tournament Edition FightStick,
Mad Catz Arcade FightStick PRO for Xbox 360,
Xbox 360 Wireless Controller (with a Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows)

All these are hooked up on my computer AND might be getting a Thrustmaster T500RS since it's one of the few gaming peripherals that will work on the PS4 also :D
Gi, Rei, Yu, Jin, Meiyo, Makoto, Chu
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. With ValveOS / Shield console-fying the PC, why not just hook your PC to TV?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived