This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

With ValveOS / Shield console-fying the PC, why not just hook your PC to TV?

#11GoIrish80Posted 11/10/2013 11:55:06 AM
How exactly does the Shield "console-fy" the PC?

The Shield is essentially a handheld android system that allows you to stream PC games to it. It's not a "main" system, it's an add on for people who can afford it. Not to mention it's a fantastic emulation device.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#12akuma634Posted 11/10/2013 3:44:07 PM
It is more for the console crowd and people that don't have a proper way to set up their PC to their main tv.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#13Killah PriestPosted 11/10/2013 3:54:23 PM
first of all, I'd need like a 30 foot hdmi cable
secondly the medical table would not work as a table, I have one already.
thirdly I have a plasma as my television and it gets severe image retention
fourthly I have a decent sized monitor
fifthly I have consoles for my TV
sixthly my television supports 24hz so a lot of games try to run at that refresh rate and look terrible
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#14claytonbuckleyPosted 11/10/2013 4:02:43 PM(edited)
I have a HTPC i put together from good parts i had lying around. But with SteamOS and it's streaming features i can downgrade that HTPC (which im doing, parts should be here tomorrow) So once that PC is set up with SteamOS i can sell my current HTPC and hopefully make a bit of money.

We have a big house, running a HDMI through 3 rooms from my room to the living room isn't practical. Putting together a cheap HTPC with SteamOS (which is free) is the best solution to play PC games on my comfy couch. And as i said before hopefully i'll do all this and make some money out of it :)
---
Pointing out your stupidity is not trolling
#15kelemvorPosted 11/10/2013 6:27:02 PM
30aught6 posted...
I'm on my HTPC right now (Logitech K400 with track pad). I don't play FPS games on it (low profile, GT 640), well I have played HL2 a little with a 360 controller, but it feels awful.

Playing with KBM on a couch or chair in the living room is just a bad idea, IMO.
No one is going to run a cable through the house just to play on their HDTV; that's asinine.

Speak for yourself on the KB/M being a bad idea for the living room :)
I manage just fine with a somewhat expensive wireless setup. Keyboard stays in my lap and my mouse goes on a side table. I also have a small keyboard/trackpad I occasionally use and a 360 controller. You are right about FPS games being slightly awkward to play, although I love playing Civilization 5 in the comfort of my living room with my huge TV above a roaring fireplace in the winter.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#16HugoNikanorPosted 11/13/2013 11:40:36 AM
My computer is hooked up to my TV. And steam big picture mode is rather handy since I lack a good keyboard/mouse to use from my bed.
---
3DS FC: 3179-6108-955
Friend Safari Rock: Barbaracle, Corsola, Boldore
#17KamenRiderBlade(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2013 11:45:11 AM
HugoNikanor posted...
My computer is hooked up to my TV. And steam big picture mode is rather handy since I lack a good keyboard/mouse to use from my bed.

Get a good wireless Keyboard Mouse

I recommend the Logitech G602 for the wireless Mouse
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#18RickySaoPosted 11/13/2013 12:00:05 PM
My PC is mainly a console if I play games... I have to admit that I only do ''entertaining stuff'' on it and nothing severe...

PS3 Mad Catz Tournament Edition FightStick,
Mad Catz Arcade FightStick PRO for Xbox 360,
Xbox 360 Wireless Controller (with a Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows)

All these are hooked up on my computer AND might be getting a Thrustmaster T500RS since it's one of the few gaming peripherals that will work on the PS4 also :D
---
Gi, Rei, Yu, Jin, Meiyo, Makoto, Chu