This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need advice on anxiety and games

#21SinfullyvannilaPosted 11/10/2013 10:48:51 AM
Rawe posted...
Ivve put in over 400 hours into Torchlight 2, and never played online with any of my characters, until last night. I traded some legendaries with someone, but I'm not sure if he gave m e gold or not. I wanted these characters to just be offline characters. I'm considering deleting all my characters now because I dunno if this guy has modded or cheated, though he claims he hasn't.

Just delete the items if that's the issue.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#22SlashmanSGPosted 11/10/2013 10:48:59 AM
DaedalusEx posted...
arleas posted...
Right... but it's better to do something about it than to do nothing about it.

Pharmaceuticals are poison, especially psychiatric meds. They may help in the short term but they do far more long term harm than good.

How so? If he takes them and doesn't ask silly questions here, I feel better.
---
Fight Science with Wood
http://gifs.gifbin.com/072010/1280303569_walmart-moonwalk.gif http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8299/0341551001256026444.gif
#23arleasPosted 11/10/2013 10:50:59 AM
Pharmaceuticals are poison, especially psychiatric meds. They may help in the short term but they do far more long term harm than good

I can't argue for or against that since I'm not a doctor, but as someone else pointed out, there's therapy too... or are you going to say that doesn't work either? Again, I'm not a doctor so I can't argue either way. All I can say is, Do something or do nothing, but if you do nothing then don't be surprised when nothing changes.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://i.imgur.com/G7PNnZ8.gif
#24Killah PriestPosted 11/10/2013 10:51:32 AM
Pharmaceuticals are poison, especially psychiatric meds. They may help in the short term but they do far more long term harm than good.

You're off your meds again.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#25Killah PriestPosted 11/10/2013 10:54:28 AM
If you want to get deep into it, the problem is there are some doctors that just give meds because they don't want to deal with people and then there are people that go to doctors with fake symptoms just to get meds.

Its definitely better to seek therapy, just sitting and talking to someone about things can give you a perspective you did not have and have a large impact on OCD/Anxiety.

Nobody is saying meds are the end all be all answer for everything that would just be silly, and there are a lot of meds that do more harm than good, but a lot of people NEED meds to function properly so to completely disregard them would be just as silly.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#26SinfullyvannilaPosted 11/10/2013 10:55:28 AM
DaedalusEx posted...
arleas posted...

Quality of life issue. Sometimes the immediate issue and the consequences of it are less tolerable than the long term health problems.

Also, everyone dies eventually. If someone chooses not to take medication, they will still die, and they'll have to endure their disorders as well.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#27bluemooglePosted 11/10/2013 11:05:05 AM
Most people don't understand how drugs work, so like anything else unknown to them, they are scary. Some people reject these things and erroneously label them all as poisons.

Very few medicines are actually poisons, though, with the two major exceptions being anything taken excessively/abusively, and chemotherapy drugs.
---
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
#28g7g7g7g7Posted 11/10/2013 11:07:32 AM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
DaedalusEx posted...
arleas posted...

Quality of life issue. Sometimes the immediate issue and the consequences of it are less tolerable than the long term health problems.

Also, everyone dies eventually. If someone chooses not to take medication, they will still die, and they'll have to endure their disorders as well.

The problem is the lack of proper cognitive behaviour therapy as option to medication, the two work hand in hand and one without the other is properly dangerous. Medicating people into the pharmacy based turnaround mental health system we have is more dangerous than not medicating and only using therapies.
---
You never see people quoting each other in sigs anymore. - Adam Laz
#29bluemooglePosted 11/10/2013 11:18:12 AM
g7g7g7g7 posted...
The problem is the lack of proper cognitive behaviour therapy as option to medication, the two work hand in hand and one without the other is properly dangerous. Medicating people into the pharmacy based turnaround mental health system we have is more dangerous than not medicating and only using therapies.

That's a pretty big blanket statement to make, since most mental health issues are not that dangerous to begin with, and don't have a high risk of spiraling out-of-control. Schizophrenia, borderline personality disorder, antisocial personality, etc... sure, these are the kind of illnesses that need more monitoring than just medicating and booting them out the door. These are also the kind of illnesses that usually need more support systems than just therapy and drugs, too.

But anxiety? OCD? depression? tourette's? These and other mental illnesses really can be medically treated in the long-term with minimal therapy. Behavioral therapy is an excellent treatment option and effective for most mental illnesses, but it also time consuming and resource expensive, and definitely not needed as a long-term, regular solution for a majority of cases.
---
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
#30DaedalusExPosted 11/10/2013 11:32:26 AM
arleas posted...
I can't argue for or against that since I'm not a doctor, but as someone else pointed out, there's therapy too... or are you going to say that doesn't work either?

Being a doctor wouldn't give you much more perspective, unfortunately. The problem is with Western medicine in general, which is more interested in treating symptoms than underlying causes (which, surprise surprise, is more profitable.) A lifestyle of proper diet, exercise, and meditation started at a young age will treat far more than any pill can.

Therapy can be great, wish it was more widespread and accessible.