This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thinking about building a low-end gaming PC, want it upgradeable, want opinions.

#1Warm_TapePosted 11/10/2013 12:05:00 PM
Ok first let me start by saying i have not PC gamed since my high school days back in 2005. My stepdad bought me an Alienware and i loved it. That coupled with my GCN made me a very happy gamer. Well i am considering going the same route this gen with Nintendo(already have my WiiU so don't try and talk me out of it lol...love it btw) and PC.

I will however be playing a backlog of older games at first. So my thought process was do 4GB of RAM now, and a lesser video card to suffice. Then upgrade both later for the likes of Witcher 3 and Elder Scrolls online.

I have been out of the hardware loop for years and i fully expect this to be a bottleneck. However, like i said i will upgrade later. The video card wouldn't go to waste either as i would give that to my boyfriend when i upgrade.

Price range should not go over $550. I have the case i want already factored into my price, and a HDD that i own. Plus i will need windows 7. So bare all that in mind please.

Thank you to anyone who voices their opinion.

ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Kingston HyperX 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model

HIS H777FN1G Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready

AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor
---
Trust me, when it comes to sticking things up my butt, I know what I'm talking about. - synth_real
#2PhilOnDezPosted 11/10/2013 1:25:07 PM(edited)
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/20j2B

600 before rebates, 550 and change afterwards. Gets you an i3 and 7870ghz provided I understood your budget (550 for everything aside from an HDD and a case) correctly. That leaves your upgrade path open to an i5 or i7 instead of an 8320/8350 and any nearly any GPU aside from the 290/290x

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/20jes

4670k and a 7770 like you originally wanted, leaves your upgrade path open to a cooler and any GPU you'd want (Aside from maybe the 290/290x again). Goes a hair over your budget but it's a great processor that you won't need to upgrade so no waste there if you can't sell/give away the i3.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/20js8

If you'd rather go AMD then you could something like this, 8320 and the same 7770 plus a cooler since I've heard awful things about AMD's stock cooler vs merely meh for Intel's.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#3Warm_Tape(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2013 1:28:19 PM
Thank you for that. I am trying to decide between AMD and Intel. This will be a purely gaming rig, and rarely even surf the web.

I like the AMDs for their price and they seem to be ok for gaming PCs. But of course, the intel chips are definitely more powerful, albeit more expensive.

However, for future proofing maybe i should go with the i3 for now.

That website is pretty cool btw. Thanks.

Anyone else?
---
Trust me, when it comes to sticking things up my butt, I know what I'm talking about. - synth_real
#4__Stewa__Posted 11/10/2013 1:34:29 PM
Sell that joke of a system you call a Wii U. Put it towards your budget and get a better PC.
#5Skul_Posted 11/10/2013 2:30:21 PM(edited)
__Stewa__ posted...
Sell that joke of a system you call a Wii U. Put it towards your budget and get a better PC.

PC+WiiU is the ultimate combo this gen.

Edit: Definitly get a good mobo, PSU and cpu. Then you can just upgrade the graphics card when needed.
---
Alex, I'm trying to start a troll topic. Stop destroying my credibility here. - hypersonic2000
League IGN [OCE]: theLEECH
#6__Stewa__Posted 11/10/2013 2:30:47 PM
Skul_ posted...
__Stewa__ posted...

Edit: Definitly get a good mobo, PSU and cpu. Then you can just upgrade the graphics card when needed.

Wrong. PC+3DS
#7Skul_Posted 11/10/2013 2:39:03 PM(edited)
__Stewa__ posted...
Skul_ posted...
__Stewa__ posted...

Wrong. PC+3DS

Well yeah, PC+WiiU+3DS is what im doing.
Edit: Dont have a wii u yet cause no gams
---
Alex, I'm trying to start a troll topic. Stop destroying my credibility here. - hypersonic2000
League IGN [OCE]: theLEECH