This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is my high-speed Internet so slow on this computer?

#1HarmonicWavePosted 11/10/2013 2:48:42 PM
I have a gaming desktop computer, a new laptop, and an Android phone. The Comcast cable modem is connected to a Wireless-N router and the desktop PC is hard wired to the router... so why are my download speeds around 4Mbps, while the laptop and smartphone both have speeds over 15Mbps over Wifi? I thought hard wired would be the fastest. What's wrong with my desktop PC?
---
I wouldn't call myself a gamer, but rather an explorer, artist and musician. I enjoy exploring worlds and stories created by such people, often found in games.
#2Black_Zero_XPosted 11/10/2013 2:50:20 PM
It is very simple to check.

Swap the cable to your laptop and re-test the issue. If it's still 4 Mbps there's something wrong with your router/cable.
---
You don't need a reason to help people.
Member of KAMOTE FORCE 5, BLACK_ZERO_X!
#3HarmonicWave(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2013 3:03:49 PM
When I connected the laptop with the same network cable it was about 30MBps compared to 4Mbps for the desktop (it's that much faster even over Wifi). Either my settings are messed up or my desktop networking hardware is that outdated. My motherboard is from 2008 and has built-in networking (ASUS P5K)
---
I wouldn't call myself a gamer, but rather an explorer, artist and musician. I enjoy exploring worlds and stories created by such people, often found in games.
#4Killah PriestPosted 11/10/2013 3:11:02 PM
remove and reinstall drivers
flush DNS cache
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#5HarmonicWave(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2013 3:14:09 PM
Do you mean my network drivers? Where do I do that?
---
#6thedeadman568Posted 11/10/2013 4:01:36 PM
HarmonicWave posted...

Sorry but your sig is the most obnoxious thing I've read all week. I can almost smell your Fedora.
---
do what a man would and show of your manhood
#7mycousinvinniePosted 11/10/2013 5:40:52 PM
thedeadman568 posted...
HarmonicWave posted...

Sorry but your sig is the most obnoxious thing I've read all week. I can almost smell your Fedora.

it's absolutely euphoric
---
3ds FC 3969-3839-5643
#8HarmonicWave(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2013 5:59:35 PM

Too bad this site doesn't have profile pics, then you could see it too. Anyway, maybe it's time for a new sig that won't be totally misunderstood to mean the opposite of it's intent.
---
#9HarmonicWave(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2013 6:12:13 PM
There, how's that?
---
If you're younger than 25 then I was playing video games before you were born.
#10TimePharaohPosted 11/10/2013 6:22:45 PM
Now I can smell your fedora through your macbook
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png